Proposal: Colorado - Ottawa | Mark Stone

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The owner wont be in Ottawa forever,the pieces we do have are good enough with decent goaltending,along with having far far fewer injuries to key players to make a push for a playoff spot...

The trade we made with the AVS again was alot to do with replacing Turris and keeping the best pieces in our system....Which most in our fanbase believe we did...

While I think Dorion paid a bit much, at the time it wasn't nearly as bad as it ended up being. I don't doubt that the young guys they have will really help the team, esp now with it looking like they'll be getting Zedina. I just don't think it'll be next year. Also the owner at least atm is showing no signs of stepping down.

Also you see the report just now that Hoffmans GF has been harassing the Karlssons for the past year? Looks like 1 of them will be gone for sure.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Which is why we Avs fans would like Sakic to throw a stick of dynamite in there by talking to Stone.

I think the best case for the Avs would be they give Stone a big offersheet and Sens match. That way they are more inclined to move out money elsewhere and they keep their picks. Stone is an elite player but for where the Avs are at those 3 picks could a better fit for what they would be looking for. Although even if they took the picks, the Avs get Stone for what LV paid for Tatar.

Also a fun note, players who are matched with an OS can't be traded for a year.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Define likely to be traded.

80% chance we move all three?

I would say 90%+ that EK and Duchene are moved as neither are likely to resign. EK because Ott wont give him the money he is worth and Duchene because his whole thing and reason he was traded to begin with was to win a cup and not waste his remaining years in his prime, which is not where Ott is headed.

I'm not as sure that Hoffman gets moved unless they get a big return. Moving Hoffman seems like a half ditch effort to try and keep EK but they aren't in a rush to trade him as he is locked in for a few more years.

My guess is EK goes in the offseason, Duchene goes at the TDL and Hoffman will just depend on how hard the owner wants to cut costs

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
I would say 90%+ that EK and Duchene are moved as neither are likely to resign. EK because Ott wont give him the money he is worth and Duchene because his whole thing and reason he was traded to begin with was to win a cup and not waste his remaining years in his prime, which is not where Ott is headed.

I'm not as sure that Hoffman gets moved unless they get a big return. Moving Hoffman seems like a half ditch effort to try and keep EK but they aren't in a rush to trade him as he is locked in for a few more years.

My guess is EK goes in the offseason, Duchene goes at the TDL and Hoffman will just depend on how hard the owner wants to cut costs
To be honest I think he wanted out of Colorado more than he wanted to win. I think he re-signs in Ottawa. But yes if EK goes it becomes a different story.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
To be honest I think he wanted out of Colorado more than he wanted to win. I think he re-signs in Ottawa. But yes if EK goes it becomes a different story.

From every quote he stated over and over that he loves Colorado and Sakic did great by him. He simply couldn't sit through another rebuild and wanted to make the playoffs. The Avs teams he was on were bad for a long time and that disaster year before this one hit him harder than anyone.

I'd put money he goes to UFA and signs with a legit Cup threat. I would be shocked if he stays in Ott. Never during his career has he cared much for the money, taking many cap friendly deals. The guys just wants to win, plain and simple.

Also EK staying or going doesn't matter, because if he gets paid what he is worth and stays, there wont be enough money left to build a legit contending team around him with Otts interal cap.

Reactions: Pure

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Even so, Mark Stone does not get you a top five or probably top ten pick in any draft, unless Chiarelli is the other GM.

If I'm Colorado, and really want an upgrade at wing, I'll give up nothing but cap space for JVR. Then I'll take my chances at Jack Hughes. Even if I don't get him, I'm very likely getting a really good player.

It's over Johnny. It's over!

Most Colorado fans dont want JVR. One dimensional. Just turned 29. that deal if longer than 5 years wont look very good at the end.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
There's so much parity in the NHL that a team like Ottawa is just as likely to make a run in the playoffs next year as they are to finish bottom 5.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Define likely to be traded.

80% chance we move all three?

I believe EK and Duchene are gone, since they'll have the highest salary demands and will bring the largest return. Hoffman and Stone are likely kept, maybe trade bait next season or thereafter.

Melnyk is already fairly cheap, but if the team is going to struggle regardless of these players, why lose them for nothing to protect the AVs traded draft position from possibly 5th to 15th? The 2019 season is likely to be another terrible year, why delay the rebuild? I suspect those players can easily return 2-3 1st picks and similar number of high quality prospects.

Give the younger players the much needed ice time to gain experience and flourish. Sens have lots of good young prospects and draft extremely well. OTT Scouts have been really good finding good prospects in lower rounds in the draft. Trade these players will give the Scouts much more choices, you're only trouble for the 2019 Draft anyways, why jeopardize the future of the team to prevent a high draft 1st round pick for one season?

Accept the 2019 season could be lost, promote the prospects and reload with the trades. AVs rebuilt quickly on the assumption 2018 would be lost. The young players had fun and played without pressure, while being so young, learned to grow together. Sens should follow the AVs and embrace a full rebuild, they can be competitive fairly quickly since they already have some very good prospects and add the missing pieces through the draft/trades.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
After today, anyone negotiating with the Stone would officially be kicking the Senators when they are down.

Which is the ideal time to kick someone, they're right by your feet.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That 1st would be Hughes, seems like an overpay by Avs. I like Stone, but #1 OA next year +, too much.
Lol. It's an overpay because he is an RFA. If we want him make a play through an offer sheet and give up picks. Don't give up any real assets like a potential high lottery pick and a 40+pts forward.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Lol. It's an overpay because he is an RFA. If we want him make a play through an offer sheet and give up picks. Don't give up any real assets like a potential high lottery pick and a 40+pts forward.

Yes, please make him an offer as an RFA. We could use the first round picks.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Tatar was just moved for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Stone is an elite player and getting him for the same mid level package would be well worth it. It would also instantly make Ott much worse increasing the value of the 1st Col would own. They would probably be the winner in that situation.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'd gladly pay a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Stone. Especially considering we already own your 1st and 3rd picks next year. We'd essentially get Stone for a 2nd round pick.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Being smarter than Dorion was sufficient.

This is the best burn I've seen in a long time.

As for the situation, with how arrogant Sens fans have been in here, it's kind of refreshing seeing the walls crumble around them as their team bottoms out while not even owning their top pick next season. EK wants to leave. Hoffman has no value. Duchene is in the midst of another tire fire and will bail given the first chance. Mark Stone is likely to go elsewhere with how bad things are now. All Sens really have to look forward to are White and Chabot. Both of which will likely have minimal effect on a dumpster fire team. I see lots of trades coming for the Sens before the start of this next season.

Really exciting time as an Avs fan to have their picks. Praise Sakic.

Last edited:

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Looking back on this thread, I do wonder if Sakic may have missed an opportunity to get Stone for cheap while also vastly weakening Ottawa and making that 2019 1st that much better. I would have to imagine Stone would at least have considered the 1 year OS considering he would’ve made more money (both in salary and because of taxes), could’ve played for a team that made the playoffs last year, and he signed a one year deal anyways. The one year OS obviously has risk attached to it from Colorado’s point of view, but there was also a good amount of potential reward had it worked out. It would’ve been one of the more unique situations of the past decade or so.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Looking back on this thread, I do wonder if Sakic may have missed an opportunity to get Stone for cheap while also vastly weakening Ottawa and making that 2019 1st that much better. I would have to imagine Stone would at least have considered the 1 year OS considering he would’ve made more money (both in salary and because of taxes), could’ve played for a team that made the playoffs last year, and he signed a one year deal anyways. The one year OS obviously has risk attached to it from Colorado’s point of view, but there was also a good amount of potential reward had it worked out. It would’ve been one of the more unique situations of the past decade or so.

Sens were too greedy and wanted more than the OS compensation. With the Arbitration, Stone cannot be traded the first season and will likely be gone after the 1-2 year deal. AVs could get him in the offseason without losing any players/picks.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Sens were too greedy and wanted more than the OS compensation. With the Arbitration, Stone cannot be traded the first season and will likely be gone after the 1-2 year deal. AVs could get him in the offseason without losing any players/picks.

What the hell are you saying. He filed for arbitration, therefor was not eligible for an offer sheet. Jesus.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

He didn't make it to arbitration.

I mean, the situation is still less than idea, but he's definitely going to be moved if they don't sign him before the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad