Colorado Avalanche Training Camp Dates

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs are gonna struggle in October until we get Lehky then Val back. We’ll get by without them, but we’re looking at 500 hockey at best in October. I guess you can consider 500 hockey getting by

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The Avs are gonna struggle in October until we get Lehky then Val back. We’ll get by without them, but we’re looking at 500 hockey at best in October. I guess you can consider 500 hockey getting by

All I know is that I'm going to be unwavering in my fury towards 4giev and the bottom D pairing during this time. Probably Rantanen's lazy ass too.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

Stienburg even being mentioned should cast a very bright light on how bad the call up situation is.
I'm not sure who to blame - exactly who is making the decisions - but it hasn't been good for a long time now.

The prospects you drafted are the guys you have so that's certainly one thing but the guys they added this summer - I mean, come on.

Megna is a sub-par NHLer and a decent AHLer. Why they'd want to bring him back after his first stint here is beyond me. He played this training camp like he knew he was going down to the AHL with a half decent chance he's going to play a handful of games in the NHL due to injury. Smart by him and his agent to sign for that reason - terrible signing by the Avs for that reason as well. Get a frikkin' guy who at least has a chance at the #4C spot instead of a guy that's already proven he doesn't.

Tynan, to me is the sort of player that could have some success in a top-9 role on a truly horrible team. I just don't see him as a 4th line player on ANY NHL team... At least his effort was there at camp. Again, we've been there-done that with this guy as well. He's not going to turn into a great 4th line/depth NHLer - that's just not who he is.

So probably both those guys were brought in for the Eagles and I get that but at the same time, maybe give a guy a chance that maybe could surprise you? Feels like management mailed it in early in the off-season...when you consider how crappy our depth is, we should have fringe guys wanting to sign here every summer.

Bo Groulx is on waivers right now and could probably be a lot better than a bunch of the guys we have right now. He was never going to beat Carrick as #4C who the NYR signed to a 3 year contract in the summer.

I heard some think that Vancouver might put Ahman on waivers as well. I like Ivan but I think he needs another year and I think PEB is going to have too much trouble keeping up once the real games start.

I'd like to see the Avs put in a claim off waivers if only to send a message that the crap that a lot of these shitters displayed in camp is not nearly good enough.

They told you f***ers at the start of training camp that they had spots available and guys like OO and Foudy don't even come close to grabbing a roster spot - these players are crap, get rid of them as soon as possible. Unfortunately they now have zero value.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO the Avs have a really bad habit of projecting their young players into roles and not having backup plans when it doesn't work. They do it all over the lineup. Sometimes it works and works brilliantly (Makar is a great example)... sometimes it cause huge issues (Jost and Newhook)... others, like this year, it is really annoying and hurts the depth. It isn't going to outright sink anything, but when you're staring down Parker Kelly and PEB as your 3C and 4C... that's horrific. How this front office can keep repeating that mistake over and over again is beyond me. Especially for a team that is poor as drafting as the Avs are.

Last edited:

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I agree in principle, but let's not exaggerate our center depth. Parker Kelly is not the 3C. Ross Colton is. Despite being experimented a little at wing due to injuries Lehky/Landy and Nukes suspension, he will be the 3C with Wood and LOC alongside him on opening night I'm almost sure of it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree in principle, but let's not exaggerate our center depth. Parker Kelly is not the 3C. Ross Colton is. Despite being experimented a little at wing due to injuries Lehky/Landy and Nukes suspension, he will be the 3C with Wood and LOC alongside him on opening night I'm almost sure of it.
Yeah Colton will likely take that role night 1, or at least will when somebody returns (I think we can all envision Bednar overplaying a condensed top 6 to get through the first 10 or so games). The fact that our backup option to Colton at center is a guy who Ottawa didn't qualify and has not played center ever in the NHL is not a great sign. Simply one center injury away from a lot of issues down the middle. Yes we have injuries at wing right now, but we're also likely to have some injuries there throughout the season. Landy is a complete unknown (though I'm sure he'll be back). Nuke is one test away from even more uncertainty, and he's pretty injury prone himself. Lehky will come back... but he's also injured every season. It was Drouin's first season over 60 games since 18-19. Wood has never completed a full season in the NHL.

The Avs have a forward group that is rather injury prone. There is clearly a distinct lack of available depth throughout the system to suppliment. If everybody is perfectly healthy, it could be good... but what are those odds? Isn't it more likely we have ~2 guys injured most of the year?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With the PEB news, the Avs are down to 18F 8D 3G in camp. With the four injuries/suspension up front (including Pavel) and Scheel being on an AHL deal only. It is basically 14F-8D-2G. One more cut to go. Ritchie better shine on the wing in the next couple games.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
[/QUOTE]

Ya. Kinda what happens when you dont have 3 top 6 forwards at the same time while top picks like OO
IMO the Avs have a really bad habit of projecting their young players into roles and not having backup plans when it doesn't work. They do it all over the lineup. Sometimes it works and works brilliantly (Makar is a great example)... sometimes it cause huge issues (Jost and Newhook)... others, like this year, it is really annoying and hurts the depth. It isn't going to outright sink anything, but when you're staring down Parker Kelly and PEB as your 3C and 4C... that's horrific. How this front office can keep repeating that mistake over and over again is beyond me. Especially for a team that is poor as drafting as the Avs are.

I think its just a result of how bad we draft and not the team intentionally giving opportunities/projecting players who arent ready. Maybe we should just never draft players in positions of need and just go with BPA and then make trades? Maybe will work.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
@GirardSpinorama I take their words around the opportunities and their lack of backfilling with NHL talent as them projecting guys like OO and Foudy into the lineup. It would be how they projected out Newhook and Jost into the 2C roles prior. Or Makar to the #1D role. They leave the spot open for the youth, who if they get it right, can take it and run. But if they misevaluate, they don't have a good backup option.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yeah Colton will likely take that role night 1, or at least will when somebody returns (I think we can all envision Bednar overplaying a condensed top 6 to get through the first 10 or so games). The fact that our backup option to Colton at center is a guy who Ottawa didn't qualify and has not played center ever in the NHL is not a great sign. Simply one center injury away from a lot of issues down the middle. Yes we have injuries at wing right now, but we're also likely to have some injuries there throughout the season. Landy is a complete unknown (though I'm sure he'll be back). Nuke is one test away from even more uncertainty, and he's pretty injury prone himself. Lehky will come back... but he's also injured every season. It was Drouin's first season over 60 games since 18-19. Wood has never completed a full season in the NHL.

The Avs have a forward group that is rather injury prone. There is clearly a distinct lack of available depth throughout the system to suppliment. If everybody is perfectly healthy, it could be good... but what are those odds? Isn't it more likely we have ~2 guys injured most of the year?
Perhaps Pavel is close to returning or something?

Or perhaps they chose Wagner over PEB?

P.S. Our old friend Toninato is on waivers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Perhaps Pavel is close to returning or something?

Or perhaps they chose Wagner over PEB?
Even if Pavel is close, I can't see how he'd get a NHL role that quick.

Kelly is who I think they really chose over PEB. Wagner is a guy they can move between the Eagles and Avs if health permits and fits the extra forward a bit better because of that. Whereas they wouldn't be sending PEB down, even if he wasn't any good.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Even if Pavel is close, I can't see how he'd get a NHL role that quick.

Kelly is who I think they really chose over PEB. Wagner is a guy they can move between the Eagles and Avs if health permits and fits the extra forward a bit better because of that. Whereas they wouldn't be sending PEB down, even if he wasn't any good.

Any chance Ivan gets to play over Kiviranta.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So...

Drouin-Mack-Rants
Kovy-Mitts-Ritchie
Wood-Colton-LOC
Kelly-Wags-Kivi

Ivan² will be sent down because I don't believe he has to pass through waivers, so it makes the most sense

The D is most likely gonna be

Toews-Makar
G-Manson
Kyli-CDH
Branny

Jacob MacNorris gets sent down because Bedsy hates his YOLO style of play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad