Value of: Colorado and Calgary (Kadri)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Calgary,

How would you feel if you fell out of the playoff race to trade Kadri to COL? What would it take for some retention of 25%? Multiple 1sts and other draft picks? Oscar Olausson? Behrens?

I don't believe Calgary is incline to abandon the playoff race before the trade deadline over.
The second Wild card spot is still well within reach and they know they can very well still upset anyone.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I don't believe Calgary is incline to abandon the playoff race before the trade deadline over.
The second Wild card spot is still well within reach and they know they can very well still upset anyone.
You’d put money on the 8th seed Flames to beat a healthy Avs team, Vegas or Dallas?

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

I don't know how they know it when it isn't true but I agree the organization is dumb enough to think that all they need to do is get in and they have a chance.

Reality is that it would be a 4 game sweep to Colorado or Dallas but even then the owners would be happy with the two home play-off games and the money that brings to waste assets chasing it.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Kadri has arguably been the Flames best forward this year (especially at the start of the year), can't see the Flames willing to trade him. Hubereau on the other hand could be had for the right price. :laugh:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He’s the Flames best player.

but a contending team needs a better best player.

Backlund is a very good 2nd line centre.
Sure, I never said we are a contending team. Lindholm is the best player on at least 10 teams though. Agreed on your assessment on Backlund too.

I've been advocating for a rebuild since Johnny left honestly. With him and Tkachuk there was a chance if a goalie got hot or something. Without them we're a 6-10th place team every year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd move pick #27 for Kadri at 25% retention. That gives the Avs a 2C we already know we can win a cup with, at a reasonable $5.25M cap hit.

Really don't give a f*** about him being signed until he's 38. We already have Landeskog, Nichushkin, Mack, and likely Toews next summer making big money well into their mid-late 30s. We will be an awful, rebuilding team long before that point. Kadri would give us another ~2, maybe 3 runs with this core before that rebuild has to start.

Reactions: teoberto

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Sure, I never said we are a contending team. Lindholm is the best player on at least 10 teams though. Agreed on your assessment on Backlund too.

I've been advocating for a rebuild since Johnny left honestly. With him and Tkachuk there was a chance if a goalie got hot or something. Without them we're a 6-10th place team every year.

Last summer really killed out opportunity at a rebuild. Last thing we need to do is go the rebuild route, get some good young guys, and then have our next contending window ruined by the end years of Kadri/Huberdeau contracts. But ideally we really should have tried to get some blue chip futures for Tkachuk.

I think we're almost forced to try and compete in the next few years, and then we can bottom out during those cap killing years.

But I don't disagree with you. Last year we were a really good team, but our problem was we didn't have enough elite guys. So when the elite guy you have leaves the team for nothing, it's really tough to replace that. The trade made was almost the perfect deal possible to compete now, but yeah, Huberdeau was never going to be as good as or replace Gaudreau, and Kadri isn't nearly a Tkachuk.

The best we can do at this point is hope some of the young guys bust out way better than expected, Huberdeau/Kadri bounce back and we can make a run out of team depth and hot goaltending (like Seattle this year basically).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad