Value of: Colorado and Calgary (Kadri)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Calgary,

How would you feel if you fell out of the playoff race to trade Kadri to COL? What would it take for some retention of 25%? Multiple 1sts and other draft picks? Oscar Olausson? Behrens?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Avs did not keep Kadri for a reason.

Hell no to re-acquiring that horrible contract even with retention.

Love Naz but he had his career year, got his ring and now got his money.

The Avs will have to replace guys in the offseason already. Acquiring pieces like Kadri (or Hayes for that matter) will make it so much harder to actually put a good team together.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Avs did not keep Kadri for a reason.

Hell no to re-acquiring that horrible contract even with retention.

Love Naz but he had his career year, got his ring and now got his money.

The Avs will have to replace guys in the offseason already. Acquiring pieces like Kadri (or Hayes for that matter) will make it so much harder to actually put a good team together.
Kadri is better than Hayes though and by the time the contract is done it wont matter. Same will be with Hayes contract even with retention.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Kadri is better than Hayes though and by the time the contract is done it wont matter. Same will be with Hayes contract even with retention.
Of course he is better than Hayes. I also want nothing to do with Hayes either. It will already be insanely hard to fill out the roster in the offseason with all the extensions coming up without handcuffing us by taking on horrible contracts like Kadri and Hayes (even if there is significant retention).
Even with all the injuries and bad luck the Avs have had, they already look like the clear favorite to come out of the West again and there really is nothing that suggests that this will change anytime soon in the next couple of years if they play their cards right.

But handcuffing yourself to ugly contracts like Kadri or Hayes is how you play your cards wrong and how this could all go sidewise far sooner than it should.

I don't get why the Avs of all teams should even be all that keen to make a big splash this year. Who is exactly out there in the West that is so scary that you have to waste assets and kill your future flexibility for?

If I am Sakic / McFarland I look to see if there are cheap upgrades (that you can get for mid picks and your second rate prospects ) available at the deadline and otherwise I laugh at the madness that is happening in the East. The Avs don't need upgrades to go far into the playoffs. And how far will always depend more on health than anything else they could do over the next few days.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d probably retain 25% on Kadri for a first.

Why not go after the better player who is signed shorter in Lindholm or Backlund?

Reactions: Ararana

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Of course he is better than Hayes. I also want nothing to do with Hayes either. It will already be insanely hard to fill out the roster in the offseason with all the extensions coming up without handcuffing us by taking on horrible contracts like Kadri and Hayes (even if there is significant retention).
Even with all the injuries and bad luck the Avs have had, they already look like the clear favorite to come out of the West again and there really is nothing that suggests that this will change anytime soon in the next couple of years if they play their cards right.

But handcuffing yourself to ugly contracts like Kadri or Hayes is how you play your cards wrong and how this could all go sidewise far sooner than it should.

I don't get why the Avs of all teams should even be all that keen to make a big splash this year. Who is exactly out there in the West that is so scary that you have to waste assets and kill your future flexibility for?

If I am Sakic / McFarland I look to see if there are cheap upgrades (that you can get for mid picks and your second rate prospects ) available at the deadline and otherwise I laugh at the madness that is happening in the East. The Avs don't need upgrades to go far into the playoffs. And how far will always depend more on health than anything else they could do over the next few days.
Oh, if you don't like Hayes either than your stance makes sense. I'm more of the opinion of us going after Bennett types anyway.
Kadri is signed until he's 38. Even at a reduced cap hit it's too much for too long.
But it wouldn't matter at his age because the Avs wouldn't be competitive at the time anyway due to MacK, Landy, and Rants all aging out.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Give up an asset to take on a contract we refused to give him when we had the chance to for free?

Well that just makes me want to be snarky

Calgary would never retain on a brand new deal imo

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
I’d probably retain 25% on Kadri for a first.

Why not go after the better player who is signed shorter in Lindholm or Backlund?
Figured they are not available. Assuming they are, Jeannot deal lol. Kadri seems more realistic, what would be the price on him?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Newhook, 2023 1st, Olausson(2021 1st round pick) for Lindholm?
It's in the ballpark in terms of assets. There's just no piece in there that you can really hang your hat on. I'm not huge on Newhook. You guys may value him more than I do. I really, really like Byram. I get him not being available, but you're asking for our best player on what is probably the best contract in the NHL next season when Mackinnon moves up. I think there's about a 80% chance your pick is 31st or 32nd OA too. No one in the West is remotely close to a healthy Avs team.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Zero chance the Flames would retain that much for that long
Can someone help me understand why a team wouldn't do this? More so from the viewpoint on Huberdeau, $10 mil cap hit for 8 million. If a team wanted him but needed help for retention to make him 8 mil instead, why wouldn't Calgary immediately jump on dumping him and turning him into a 10mil cap hit for 8 years into a 2 mil cap hit for 8 years (especially because you do not want him that long).

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's in the ballpark in terms of assets. There's just no piece in there that you can really hang your hat on. I'm not huge on Newhook. You guys may value him more than I do. I really, really like Byram. I get him not being available, but you're asking for our best player on what is probably the best contract in the NHL next season when Mackinnon moves up. I think there's about a 80% chance your pick is 31st or 32nd OA too. No one in the West is remotely close to a healthy Avs team.
The Flames no longer have a best player. That’s the primary problem with their roster. Just a lot of good players but no bona fide top pair guy. No top line C or W. No top shelf goalie. The team tops out at a collection of 2nd liners and middle pair defenders.

He’d be a 2C for the Avs. The ceiling for what you’d pay is Newhook, 1st and Olausson. Which is a high price to pay. Good player coming back to the Avs though.

I don’t disagree Lindholm would have value league wide. Avs best offer is on the table for others to beat.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Can someone help me understand why a team wouldn't do this? More so from the viewpoint on Huberdeau, $10 mil cap hit for 8 million. If a team wanted him but needed help for retention to make him 8 mil instead, why wouldn't Calgary immediately jump on dumping him and turning him into a 10mil cap hit for 8 years into a 2 mil cap hit for 8 years (especially because you do not want him that long).

You would have to make it very worth a team’s while to take in 2 million of dead cap and expense for 8 years. So much so that you would never want to do the deal

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
1. Cause Murray Edwards is cheap and doesn't like the idea of paying players to play against his own team

2. Retaining almost 2M for next 6yrs is pretty dumb

3. I get that Flames are having a disappointing season and therefore all their players suck but a coaching change would almost definitely turn things around. Plus, it'd be cheaper to just fire Sutter and hire someone else than retain that much for that long

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Calgary,

How would you feel if you fell out of the playoff race to trade Kadri to COL? What would it take for some retention of 25%? Multiple 1sts and other draft picks? Oscar Olausson? Behrens?
The reason why Colorado don't sign him is # of year on contract so Colorado will pass on him
They can go for Bennett or Jenner and it will cost less than Kadri

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
Avs should be going after Lindholm. He is exactly what they need imo. Flames could even retain at 50% for next year to make it even more enticing. I feel like a 1st, Newhook, Behrens and Olausson would be a good trade for both teams going forward.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

TatteredTornNFrayed

...ocelot spleens...
Jan 15, 2008
I agree Lindholm would be a much better fit, and not even sure if Avs would want or need any retention, but I'm no cap expert.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
3. I get that Flames are having a disappointing season and therefore all their players suck but a coaching change would almost definitely turn things around. Plus, it'd be cheaper to just fire Sutter and hire someone else than retain that much for that long

Sutter has been by far the best coach Calgary has had in three decades. We fire him if we want to tank.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Sutter has been by far the best coach Calgary has had in three decades. We fire him if we want to tank.
Considering that most if not all of the coaches the Flames have hired in that time span never coached again in the NHL as a head coach, that speaks more to ownership's cheapness and penchant for making terrible hires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad