Collapse of Regional Sports Networks (Diamond Sports Group files bankruptcy, Warner-Discovery looking to leave business, Xfinity drops Bally)

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
Bit off-topic, but Spectrum/Charter made a deal with NBC/Comcast to add basic Peacock to Spectrum Select TV customers in 2025.

Just another move to keep the sinking ship afloat a little bit longer and prevents a carriage dispute later on between the two largest cable providers even though it was unlikely to happen given that they are partners on the Xumo streaming boxes...

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The new Hawks/Bulls/Sox channel is continuing to be a gongshow.

Screenshot_20241004-191423_Twitter.jpg

Sox are historically bad.

Hawks are likely going to be a lottery team again.

Bulls are.... the Bulls.

And unsurprisingly, Comcast and Google don't think that CHSN will be much of a ratings draw through 2025.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
To me, this sounds like another Bally Sports attempt with the Chicago market in mind. Erecting a paywall between the fans and sports content -- especially if the teams behind that paywall suck, isn't going to make people subscribe to Comcast (in this example) just to see it.

I could be wrong ...and since I'm not in Chicago, I probably am... but I really don't see this lasting very long or being very successful.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

When the NHL wanted to take over all the team websites, the Rangers fought it tooth and nail. Eventually, the Rangers lost the battle. MLB could try to do the same, but the fight would be MUCH bigger and more expensive for YES and NESN. SNY? Cohen may support the league as he doesn't own it, Wilpons still do. Before the team was sold, contract was written so SNY paid very little to the Mets for the rights.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
When the NHL wanted to take over all the team websites, the Rangers fought it tooth and nail. Eventually, the Rangers lost the battle. MLB could try to do the same, but the fight would be MUCH bigger and more expensive for YES and NESN. SNY? Cohen may support the league as he doesn't own it, Wilpons still do. Before the team was sold, contract was written so SNY paid very little to the Mets for the rights.
Teams with their own networks will fight mlb. Tv tooth and nail since it gives them a financial advantage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad