Collapse of Regional Sports Networks (Diamond Sports Group files bankruptcy, Warner-Discovery looking to leave business, Xfinity drops Bally)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's all well and good, but the fact is that's not remotely acceptable for most of the general viewing audience. And even for fans that like in effect taped delay live broadcasts to skip the ads as you both described, that's an option available for folks that join mid-broadcast and choose the start from beginning option already.
Choosing from start in midstream of a game does not allow skipping, if you’re going to do that, need to prerecord.

and if I’m watching a game, where I don’t need to watch commercials, I have zero need to go on a sports website, or use my phone, my concentration is on the game.
The only reason I’d be browsing is cause of the commercials.
Plus I save an hour of my time, to watch something else, or do something else.
It’s a win win scenario.

Why is not remotely acceptable for most viewers?

Are saying that because their addicted to their phones?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yes? People are absolutely addicted to their phones and the internet and that's becoming even more pronounced in the sports world with the degenerate spread of gambling into it. Give the sports audience an option between a live broadcast and something that's delayed more than just a handful of seconds, and you'll get almost everyone choosing the former over the latter barring extenuating circumstances like time zones and inopportune live viewing times.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes? People are absolutely addicted to their phones and the internet and that's becoming even more pronounced in the sports world with the degenerate spread of gambling into it. Give the sports audience an option between a live broadcast and something that's delayed more than just a handful of seconds, and you'll get almost everyone choosing the former over the latter barring extenuating circumstances like time zones and inopportune live viewing times.
That’s their problem then, I’ve converted so many to recording and starting late, at least the smart ones, I converted.

Time is money, so wasting an extra hour on a sporting event is dumb, unless you like to watch commercials.
If a NASCAR race, tennis, or some other long sport then I can save 2 hours.

Anyways enjoy your commercials, as no converting you it looks like.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That’s their problem then, I’ve converted so many to recording and starting late, at least the smart ones, I converted.

Time is money, so wasting an extra hour on a sporting event is dumb, unless you like to watch commercials.

I totally agree that recording and starting later is key.

However, the discussion started with the Bally's app not showing live games and replays not aired until the next morning. That may be where he's coming from.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I totally agree that recording and starting later is key.

However, the discussion started with the Bally's app not showing live games and replays not aired until the next morning. That may be where he's coming from.
Thanks for the info, if that’s the case, I’d be finding something different then to watch games.
That would be unacceptable for me.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Thanks for the info, if that’s the case, I’d be finding something different then to watch games.
That would be unacceptable for me.
Totally agree. The app, here in Atlanta, does show Hawks games live. But, for whatever reason (probably something in the contract where Bally's would have to pay the MLB a boatload), it only shows replays of Braves the following morning.

Not a chance I'm paying $20/month for that mess.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

I thought this was a younger generation thing, watching TV on their phones. I travelled with a business colleague recently and mentioned how crappy our TV stations selections were, he said he doesn't even turn on the TV. He has YouTube TV, I think, and watches on his cell phone. He is mid 40s. I guess I'm getting old. I have watched movies on my phone before but if it was any good ended up rerunning them once home on the big TV.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Choosing from start in midstream of a game does not allow skipping, if you’re going to do that, need to prerecord.

and if I’m watching a game, where I don’t need to watch commercials, I have zero need to go on a sports website, or use my phone, my concentration is on the game.
The only reason I’d be browsing is cause of the commercials.
Plus I save an hour of my time, to watch something else, or do something else.
It’s a win win scenario.

Why is not remotely acceptable for most viewers?

Are saying that because their addicted to their phones?
I don't exactly have hard data to back this up, but a big reason why people like watching sports is talking about it, the feeling of sharing the moment etc.- just look at GDTs here or how active twitter is during sporting events. It's a social experience and purposely living under a rock for a live game or even longer to watch it on tape delay takes a huge part of the enjoyment out of it. If watching a game on your own is how you enjoy it that's perfect for starting late or tape delaying, it's just not how a large part if any sports fanbase wants to take it in.

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
The saga continues.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

"A confirmation hearing is scheduled for July 29-30, at which point a bankruptcy judge could determine whether Diamond, which runs the regional sports networks (RSN) for 38 MLB, NBA and NHL teams under the name Bally Sports, will move forward as a business or shut down entirely. It's a decision that could expedite drastic changes in a rapidly evolving media landscape and one that will have a major impact on MLB's strongly held desire to place media rights under a national umbrella. Before enticing a partner like Amazon, Netflix, Hulu or ESPN+, the league says it needs the rights -- blackout free, without the territorial exclusivity tied to traditional RSN deals -- for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 teams, according to sources. And that's only possible if Diamond doesn't emerge from bankruptcy."

"That is the ideal scenario, but one the league seemingly no longer considers feasible. The worst-case scenario isn't that those contracts disappear, but rather, that Diamond emerges on unstable ground, prompting more of the same uncertainty that clouded last offseason and, if owners continue to cite unstable RSN deals as an excuse for not spending, seems destined to stain the next one. Somewhere between those two extremes lies MLB's pivot plan -- housing all media rights under one umbrella, rather than having teams cut RSN deals on their own. The approach would include maintaining a traditional linear-cable product while also bringing in a major streaming company that would serve as MLB's digital home. Through this, MLB officials say, blackouts would cease and some of the current-day fragmentation that has frustrated fans would dissolve. It's a plan some consider overly optimistic, packed with a lot of moving parts -- and it might work only if all 30 teams ultimately join."

"MLB currently holds the broadcasting and streaming rights for the San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks, both of whom Diamond cut last year, as well as the Colorado Rockies, who lost their RSN deal when AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain ceased business operations in October. The Texas Rangers, Cleveland Guardians and Twins, who negotiated one-year deals with Diamond in February, could join them over the offseason."

Baseball exploring options a bit more faster than NBA or NHL.

• Wow
Reactions: SirJW

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

"A confirmation hearing is scheduled for July 29-30, at which point a bankruptcy judge could determine whether Diamond, which runs the regional sports networks (RSN) for 38 MLB, NBA and NHL teams under the name Bally Sports, will move forward as a business or shut down entirely. It's a decision that could expedite drastic changes in a rapidly evolving media landscape and one that will have a major impact on MLB's strongly held desire to place media rights under a national umbrella. Before enticing a partner like Amazon, Netflix, Hulu or ESPN+, the league says it needs the rights -- blackout free, without the territorial exclusivity tied to traditional RSN deals -- for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 teams, according to sources. And that's only possible if Diamond doesn't emerge from bankruptcy."

"That is the ideal scenario, but one the league seemingly no longer considers feasible. The worst-case scenario isn't that those contracts disappear, but rather, that Diamond emerges on unstable ground, prompting more of the same uncertainty that clouded last offseason and, if owners continue to cite unstable RSN deals as an excuse for not spending, seems destined to stain the next one. Somewhere between those two extremes lies MLB's pivot plan -- housing all media rights under one umbrella, rather than having teams cut RSN deals on their own. The approach would include maintaining a traditional linear-cable product while also bringing in a major streaming company that would serve as MLB's digital home. Through this, MLB officials say, blackouts would cease and some of the current-day fragmentation that has frustrated fans would dissolve. It's a plan some consider overly optimistic, packed with a lot of moving parts -- and it might work only if all 30 teams ultimately join."

"MLB currently holds the broadcasting and streaming rights for the San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks, both of whom Diamond cut last year, as well as the Colorado Rockies, who lost their RSN deal when AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain ceased business operations in October. The Texas Rangers, Cleveland Guardians and Twins, who negotiated one-year deals with Diamond in February, could join them over the offseason."

Baseball exploring options a bit more faster than NBA or NHL.
Would MLB be able to force teams that own their own RSN to give up that control?

Not to put the cart before the horse, but I warn people about getting excited about the phrase, "no blackouts". They remove local blackouts, then it will likely cost a lot more than the current MLB package you can get on cable/satellite/mlb.tv

Edit: ESPECIALLY, if fans can no longer get games on their local RSNs. So if the Yankees were no longer available on YES, but only through a package? Easily $300 per year, maybe more.

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I thought this was a younger generation thing, watching TV on their phones. I travelled with a business colleague recently and mentioned how crappy our TV stations selections were, he said he doesn't even turn on the TV. He has YouTube TV, I think, and watches on his cell phone. He is mid 40s. I guess I'm getting old. I have watched movies on my phone before but if it was any good ended up rerunning them once home on the big TV.
Someone who is mid 40s in 2024 is alot more tech savy than someone in their mid 40s in 2004. They had to learn about this stuff in HS and beyond.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Would MLB be able to force teams that own their own RSN to give up that control?

Not to put the cart before the horse, but I warn people about getting excited about the phrase, "no blackouts". They remove local blackouts, then it will likely cost a lot more than the current MLB package you can get on cable/satellite/mlb.tv
Probably yes but it's a first step towards getting something closer to what the MLS has with Apple TV

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Someone who is mid 40s in 2024 is alot more tech savy than someone in their mid 40s in 2004. They had to learn about this stuff in HS and beyond.
lol, someone in their mid 40’s can figure out how to watch on a phone, like other poster, no idea why you would want to watch on a phone, when I can watch in 4K on a big screen.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
lol, someone in their mid 40’s can figure out how to watch on a phone, like other poster, no idea why you would want to watch on a phone, when I can watch in 4K on a big screen.
That I could not tell you. I will watch occasionally on my phone, usually when I am watching something else on the tv simultaneously. But, if I had to guess maybe they do not have smart tv and do not want to buy a roku box or upgrade to a smart tv?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That I could not tell you. I will watch occasionally on my phone, usually when I am watching something else on the tv simultaneously. But, if I had to guess maybe they do not have smart tv and do not want to buy a roku box or upgrade to a smart tv?
not buying it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The chances of Rogers giving up the plum agreement they have with the Jays where they own the entirety of the TV broadcasting, and a good chunk of the media reporting on the team, are effectively nil. So we can cut that down.
Think was referring to the US,
and Roger’s own the Jays, so ya not likely they get outbid.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
The chances of Rogers giving up the plum agreement they have with the Jays where they own the entirety of the TV broadcasting, and a good chunk of the media reporting on the team, are effectively nil. So we can cut that down.
Yeah in Canada is way more harder than in the US to change this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad