Confirmed with Link: Canucks Re-Sign Tyler Myers to 3y/3m Contract

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The deal is structured in such a way that I don't mind the third year and Myers is actually good value at 3m. The dude literally put his balls on the line in the playoffs and played very well all season. I think the only thing this means for Vancouver is that Tanev probably isn't going to be coming here unless big Z walks but it shouldn't effect Guentzel.

Here's the thing if the decision is Tanev or Zadorov, I take Tanev 10/10.

Tanev is a legit top 4 defenseman, a RHD, and he has chemistry with our best player, which allows us to put Hronek down the line up.

Zaddy is a fine player, but he's a #5 defenseman. He plays like a top 4 defenseman at times, and at the other times he plays like a bottom pairing guy. On a team with Soucy, he honestly seems so expendable.

I'd be fine with Tanev making 5 million, Zaddy at 5 million is honestly a stretch.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Allvin putting the pressure on Zadorov to sign a team friendly deal and keep the gang together

Sign Tanev + Zaddy for 5 million each. And you can get a winger for EP for around 5 million

Hughes-Tanev
Soucy-Hronek
Zadorov-Myers
Reserves: Juulsen, Friedman

Is a solid defense.

Tanev + Zad + Toffoli

Would be my 3 targets

Reactions: Phil Brooks

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Not great, not terrible.

Would have hoped for 2 years and under $3M but definitely not realistic considering the market these days.

Things looking a bit tight all of a sudden. They have approximately $15M to round out the roster, which includes a top-six forward, second pairing defender, fourth line center, and a backup goaltender.

Hopefully Tanev REALLY misses Vancouver and is willing to leave some money on the table. It certainly sounds like the market is going to price him out.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
In the structured game that Tocchet has them playing Myers is more than fine. Indeed, was very good in the playoffs.

Getting a more than very decent NHL defenseman with the kind of size and durability Myers has shown at 3 mill. is solid. Would have got more in free agency so left some money on the table. People thinking he would come back for less were ridiculously optomistic although a argument could be made the third year is questionable.

For years Myers has been paired with near rookies and in many cases absolute trash and tried to do too much. In the present situation he is a good fit. If they can get Zadorov back the present defense will be the strongest element of the team. I'd say even ahead of the goal tending.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Myers had a good season last year, but I still think I would have gone a different direction with this cap space, specially someone that might have some chemistry with Hughes.

Not a bad contract, maybe a year too long, but he's a big part of the dressing room so no real complaints. Don't love it, don't hate it.

I believe you lost our avatar bet.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Not the biggest fan of Myers - despise defensemen who are mistake prone.

Would have preferred to go another direction, but the cap hit is low enough that there isn't too much pain.

3M is like the going rate of a # 5, and Myers while mistake prone, is a passable 5.

Ideally should have went with a less experienced dman and used the cap towards the top of the lineup.

Not going to assume the good Myers that showed up in the playoffs is what we can expect going forward - small sample size.

Reactions: Frostage

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I was hoping to not have Myers on the team, he is a wiping boy in my own head.
But the RHD market justifies signing him. (I assume Im on holiday)

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Eh, I'm fine with this deal. He seemed to have had a bit of a renaissance under Tocchet et al. so hopefully this continues.

I really hope this doesn't mean Zadorov is out, though. I'd still like to have him stick around.

I don't think Tanev or Toffoli should be players of interest for the Canucks, much as I love Tanev.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I don't hate it. Would of preferred a 2 year deal. The price is right though for the chaos giraffe who played insanely well this season as a Canuck. Welcome back to the rib breaker.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not a fan of this signing

Normally I'd hate something like this, but his elevated game in playoffs and near the end of the season probably justified this.

Not the best contract, but one I can live with. If the AAV starts with a 4 I would be VERY concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad