Cole Perfetti RFA contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shaundogg

Oct 3, 2019
What does everyone think the Jets will do contract wise with Perfetti?

Bridge Deal or long-term?

Myself, I see a bridge incoming as Cole still has something to prove to get that big payday, just my opinion of course.

Reactions: trebendan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If I were him I'd be aiming for a bridge, but a bunch of the media seem to think he's interested in a long term deal. So I'm not really sure how it will play out.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
IMO, it will be a bridge, if he actually signs something.

Also IMO, I think the holdup is Perfetti wanting a long-term deal and the Jets are reluctant to give it. And really, based on what we have seen so far, would you want to sign Perfetti to a 7 year deal? I guess it it was a really cheap long-term deal, sure, but Perfetti won't want a cheap deal for long-term.

Some people think it's Perfetti that wants the bridge, but I think it's the Jets.

Reactions: Skidooboy

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I get the bridge..... but I see last year as an eye opener for Perfetti. I think he's got 50-60 points in him this year and a better overall player.

Reactions: Finster8

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it is very likely Perfetti is wanting a long term deal that isn’t too long. It seems like there are quite a few 5 or 6 year deals for RFAs. Ups the AAV over a bridge but puts you in the heart of your prime for your big UFA contract.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think it is very likely Perfetti is wanting a long term deal that isn’t too long. It seems like there are quite a few 5 or 6 year deals for RFAs. Ups the AAV over a bridge but puts you in the heart of your prime for your big UFA contract.
I'd be fine with that if the price is reasonable. Next 4 or 5 years is the window not worried about his next contract at this point

Reactions: Heldig

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd be fine with that if the price is reasonable. Next 4 or 5 years is the window not worried about his next contract at this point
I was thinking 6 X 6 M would be fair and work well for both sides. If Perfetti hits he will be an UFA at 28 y/o and in a perfect position for his big UFA deal. In the mean time he would have pocketed close to $40 M to set him up for life in case anything disrupts his hockey career.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I get the bridge..... but I see last year as an eye opener for Perfetti. I think he's got 50-60 points in him this year and a better overall player.
8 years big money for what easily could be 2 good years of production?
Been there done that, watched others do it...

lets see him put up 2 years in a row before we even start talking about an extension.

Reactions: trebendan

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

lets see him put up 2 years in a row before we even start talking about an extension.
Depends on how big the money is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
IMO, it will be a bridge, if he actually signs something.

Also IMO, I think the holdup is Perfetti wanting a long-term deal and the Jets are reluctant to give it. And really, based on what we have seen so far, would you want to sign Perfetti to a 7 year deal? I guess it it was a really cheap long-term deal, sure, but Perfetti won't want a cheap deal for long-term.

Some people think it's Perfetti that wants the bridge, but I think it's the Jets.

I get what you are saying, but here is my counter to it from an organizations perspective. Currently all the pieces we have inked to long term deals are in their late 20's and early 30's. We really are playing with borrowed time with this core. The only way to stay competitive is to develop a good core of young talent that can take some of load and eventually take the torch from the vets.

Currently we have no one committed long term to the team that meets that criteria, and it's not for a lack of effort. We haven't had any young talent commit since KC and JoMo did half a decade ago. We've actually seen the opposite with young talent force their way out of here as quickly as possible. Trouba, Laine, Dubois, Roslovic, and heck even our top prospect McGroarty. This org is hemerging young talent at an alarming rate and it's only a matter of time before it catches up and impacts on ice performance.

So if Cole as is rumored is willing to commit long term, then I think it's something the org absolutely has to seriously consider.
1) It would lock into place the first member of the next wave core to help the vets.
2) As a young player with unfavorable usage it stands to reason he'll improve with more experience and better usage and would be a good bet to outperform his long term deal, especially with a raising cap.
3) It would improve the optics of the org around the league. Perfetti signing would counter the message that McGrarty put out when he refused to sign. It would start to plug the leak of top young talent leaving. It would also likely resonate well with our young players in the system. "Look they are willing to take care of a player off their elc".

All in all with the cap space they have and what has transpired with bother young players they may not have much of a choice but to make it work.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I get what you are saying, but here is my counter to it from an organizations perspective. Currently all the pieces we have inked to long term deals are in their late 20's and early 30's. We really are playing with borrowed time with this core. The only way to stay competitive is to develop a good core of young talent that can take some of load and eventually take the torch from the vets.

Currently we have no one committed long term to the team that meets that criteria, and it's not for a lack of effort. We haven't had any young talent commit since KC and JoMo did half a decade ago. We've actually seen the opposite with young talent force their way out of here as quickly as possible. Trouba, Laine, Dubois, Roslovic, and heck even our top prospect McGroarty. This org is hemerging young talent at an alarming rate and it's only a matter of time before it catches up and impacts on ice performance.

So if Cole as is rumored is willing to commit long term, then I think it's something the org absolutely has to seriously consider.
1) It would lock into place the first member of the next wave core to help the vets.
2) As a young player with unfavorable usage it stands to reason he'll improve with more experience and better usage and would be a good bet to outperform his long term deal, especially with a raising cap.
3) It would improve the optics of the org around the league. Perfetti signing would counter the message that McGrarty put out when he refused to sign. It would start to plug the leak of top young talent leaving. It would also likely resonate well with our young players in the system. "Look they are willing to take care of a player off their elc".

All in all with the cap space they have and what has transpired with bother young players they may not have much of a choice but to make it work.
I don't disagree about signing Perfetti and being important to the next generation, but I will disagree on the hemorrhaging young talent comment. We actually stayed the same age or got younger with each of the players you mentioned. Trouba, Laine, PLD, Roslovic and I will add Copp turned into Pionk, Heinola, Valardi, Kupari, Iafallo, Freij, Barron, Lambert, Salomonsson and Milic. I won't do the math on average age but it is considerable in our favour. Also add in all 3 of Trouba, Laine and PLD are on bad UFA contracts that would impact us being able to sign young players.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't disagree about signing Perfetti and being important to the next generation, but I will disagree on the hemorrhaging young talent comment. We actually stayed the same age or got younger with each of the players you mentioned. Trouba, Laine, PLD, Roslovic and I will add Copp turned into Pionk, Heinola, Valardi, Kupari, Iafallo, Freij, Barron, Lambert, Salomonsson and Milic. I won't do the math on average age but it is considerable in our favour. Also add in all 3 of Trouba, Laine and PLD are on bad UFA contracts that would impact us being able to sign young players.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. By hemerging talent we parted with two lottery picked players, a top 10 player and some other former first round picks and we turned it into lesser pedigree/talented players. So yeah we got younger, but less talented for the most part.

I see a lot of our system projected to be second line/second pairing caliber but three of the players I mentioned were top line/top paring caliber. A couple had star potential if they knew what work ethic was.

Also trading young talent for even younger talent that is still aways out starts to really widen the age groups. How good will JoMo, Helle, and Mark realistically be when Yager is ready to make an impact.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. By hemerging talent we parted with two lottery picked players, a top 10 player and some other former first round picks and we turned it into lesser pedigree/talented players. So yeah we got younger, but less talented for the most part.

I see a lot of our system projected to be second line/second pairing caliber but three of the players I mentioned were top line/top paring caliber. A couple had star potential if they knew what work ethic was.

Also trading young talent for even younger talent that is still aways out starts to really widen the age groups. How good will JoMo, Helle, and Mark realistically be when Yager is ready to make an impact.
We parted with them in time so they didn't become drags on the team. All of Trouba, Laine and PLD are now on the edge of cap dump territory. It doesn't matter what their draft pedigree was 8 - 12 years ago. In the process we got much younger. With a much higher potential then if we had those 3 players tying up $25 M of cap space.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

i don't always love 8 year contracts for non-elite players. but what is big money to you? 5ishM is a projection for him from EvolvingHockey who run at pretty high accuracy. he's early 20s so it's a pretty good bet on a 5-6 year deal

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have a feeling if the Jets were offering a long term contract that the Perfetti camp liked it would of be signed by now, a bridge is looking more and more plausible
Most likely both are being discussed. I actually go the opposite way in that the longer it goes the more likely it is to be a long term deal as they are far more complicated than a bridge deal.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hoping Perfetti is not unhappy in his role and signs soon.

McGroarty crap is a big negative and we need some new good news.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hoping Perfetti is not unhappy in his role and signs soon.

McGroarty crap is a big negative and we need some new good news.

Seems like him and Arneil are on the same page and that his role will increase this year. This is just Chevy and KO grinding for every penny. Chevy pretty much almost always signs his key non are eligible RFA deals in around camp.

JoMo Sept 16
Laine Sept 27
KC Sept 28

No reason to fret, this will get worked out over the next few weeks.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Seems like him and Arneil are on the same page and that his role will increase this year. This is just Chevy and KO grinding for every penny. Chevy pretty much almost always signs his key non are eligible RFA deals in around camp.

JoMo Sept 16
Laine Sept 27
KC Sept 28

No reason to fret, this will get worked out over the next few weeks.

How could you possibly know if Associate Dumbass and Perfetti are on the same page? I would suspect that Perfetti is pissed about sitting for all but 2 periods of the playoffs and is now holding the Jets feet to the fire on a new contract. After what happened with McGroatry the Jets can ill afford another trade demand from a really good young player.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How could you possibly know if Associate Dumbass and Perfetti are on the same page? I would suspect that Perfetti is pissed about sitting for all but 2 periods of the playoffs and is now holding the Jets feet to the fire on a new contract. After what happened with McGroatry the Jets can ill afford another trade demand from a really good young player.

Because it's been reported a number of times that they have had positive interactions throughout the summer. Perfetti also gave an interview where he indorsed Scott early this summer.

Perfetti is also skating and working out with Mark and JoMo. I think it's pretty clear he's invested in this group and isn't trying to force his way out.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
i don't always love 8 year contracts for non-elite players. but what is big money to you? 5ishM is a projection for him from EvolvingHockey who run at pretty high accuracy. he's early 20s so it's a pretty good bet on a 5-6 year deal
I still think it's to early for that kind of contract. why spend 5-6 years worth of cap when we can bridge him and see who he really is?

the way everyone on this board wants to hand out long term contracts on every young kid who has one decent 20 goal season is absurd....

I understand the players and agents asking...but if you guys were Chevy? We'd probably still be paying Burmistrov's contract! :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad