Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just for a frame of reference, 5 of Chevy's top 7 homegrown RFA negotiations went into training camp without a deal done (KC, Laine, Trouba, JoMo, and now Perfetti). The only two marquee guys that signed prior to camp where Mark and Ehlers. Ehlers though was signed a year early (only player they have done this with).

Trouba wanted out so he's in his own category.

JoMo signed Sept 16 which was a fee days into that camp.

KC and Laine signed on Sept 28 and 29.

So there really is nothing to see here, this is just normal operating procedure for the org with these types of deals.
I was just about to something along these lines. And each time a contract negotiation went into camp, people had all the same concerns. The only one that went long term at that point was KC.

Reactions: surixon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just for a frame of reference, 5 of Chevy's top 7 homegrown RFA negotiations went into training camp without a deal done (KC, Laine, Trouba, JoMo, and now Perfetti). The only two marquee guys that signed prior to camp where Mark and Ehlers. Ehlers though was signed a year early (only player they have done this with).

Trouba wanted out so he's in his own category.

JoMo signed Sept 16 which was a fee days into that camp.

KC and Laine signed on Sept 28 and 29.

So there really is nothing to see here, this is just normal operating procedure for the org with these types of deals.
Yup, and there are other RFAs out there unsigned too including Swayman and Seider

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy’s comments only really make sense if a long term deal was still on the table. We have plenty of cap space for a bridge deal and will have even more next year with some big contracts that will go away in a year.

That's a good way of looking at it. Who really cares about $200 to $300k per year on a bridge deal when you have $6.5 million in cap space.

I was just about to something along these lines. And each time a contract negotiation went into camp, people had all the same concerns. The only one that went long term at that point was KC.

I think they wanted to ink JoMo long term but didn't have the cap space. They revised it and inked him thr following summer.

Hard to know what they were thinking of Laine at that point.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That's a good way of looking at it. Who really cares about $200 to $300k per year on a bridge deal when you have $6.5 million in cap space.

I think they wanted to ink JoMo long term but didn't have the cap space. They revised it and inked him thr following summer.

Hard to know what they were thinking of Laine at that point.
Whatever AAV Cole comes in at, Chevy may also be talking extension with Nik's camp and he knows that Gabe and Snerg due after this season as well

Very tough to pinpoint where those two come jnsince this season is pivotal for both of them

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whatever AAV Cole comes in at, Chevy may also be talking extension with Nik's camp and he knows that Gabe and Snerg due after this season as well

Very tough to pinpoint where those two come jnsince this season is pivotal for both of them

True, but they will have close to 30 million off the books next year. There should be plenty of space to keep everyone you want and we should have people on elcs to take the place of expensive depth. Haggling over a couple 100k on a bridge deal isn't going to make any material impact on the Jets cap structure.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The special teams were definitely an issue last year. Which is on coaching.

However, would be remiss to point out 7th in 5v5 GF, 12th in xGF% (1% separated 12th to 7th)... When's the last time the Jets rated that highly in those areas prior to Bowness? Why does this get glossed over?

The wrong players got those stats.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It was Laine's contract that delayed KC's contract. KC signed the next day after Laine signed.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not worried at all, as Chevy said it's all part of the business of hockey. Perfetti will get signed very soon.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Was I Cole...after a dead cold slump last yer, and a LOT of bench time?

I'd be signed and in Camp, because if he sits out? There's a real good chance Lambert has most of us wondering why we ever wanted Perfetti in the first place...

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hellebuyck has finished 4th or better in Vezina voting 5 of the last 7 years. If anything, I'd argue that Hellebuyck's being probably the best regular season goalie in the NHL helps mask a lot of underlying issues with both team talent and coaching.
I agree
Hellebucyk is our duct tape no doubt

Perfetan deserves $2M for the first half of seasons and about $200K for the second half when he dissappears!
Savage :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad