Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
I don’t think that using how Hintz and Robertson were developed as a negative is very smart. Those players turned into superstars.
Word. If anything, they are thanking Bowness.

And the ongoing consternation with Bowness by some here is a headscratcher to me. This guy got us to 4th overall last year, helped turn Morrissey into a #1D, we got the Jennings and Helle got the Vezina. Very hard to argue with any coaching decisions that led to that success.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

And the ongoing consternation with Bowness by some here is a headscratcher to me. This guy got us to 4th overall last year, helped turn Morrissey into a #1D, we got the Jennings and Helle got the Vezina. Very hard to argue with any coaching decisions that led to that success.
Doesn't matter to the Cole Perfetti groupies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Hellebuyck has finished 4th or better in Vezina voting 5 of the last 7 years. If anything, I'd argue that Hellebuyck's being probably the best regular season goalie in the NHL helps mask a lot of underlying issues with both team talent and coaching.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Hellebuyck has finished 4th or better in Vezina voting 5 of the last 7 years. If anything, I'd argue that Hellebuyck's being probably the best regular season goalie in the NHL helps mask a lot of underlying issues with both team talent and coaching.

If you’re giving Hellebuyck all the credit for the regular season success, you have to give him all the blame for the playoff failure.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
He's a great goalie, and these things don't need to be mutually exclusive. It can go both ways IMO. Helle had quotes last year that the play style of the D implemented by the staff last year really helped him out.

Regardless, I don't get too invested in individual players. If the team wins, I'm happy. I'll never get down on Bowness for his time here.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Man you're projecting a LOT of your negative feelings about how you think the org. handles players on contract negotiations.

Everyone knows who Coles agent is, and knows how much of a grinder Chevy is.

I wish all GMs were as fiscally responsible as Cheveldayoff. Then these players wouldn't have the leverage they have.

I wasn't meaning to project the org in a negative light on contract negotiations. They grind all their RFA's the same way when they have the leverage.

I fully know who Cole has representing him which is why I always expected it to the a hard negotiation as both side will grind for every penny.

My point was that I never expected Cole's camp to make it easy on Chevy after last year. Maybe I came off too strong on it.

The contract will get done when it gets done and often times with Chevy and his top RFA's it has dragged into camp. Not at all concerned.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

I think you can recognize the regular season success and the quality of much of RB's coaching and impact overall whilst still querying some of his decisions -- for example, some of the playoff deployments and tactical moves that flew in the face of those regular-season decisions.

For an unfancied team like the Jets, finishing 4th overall w/ the Jennings and then Vezina was a triumph. The playoff series that followed wasn't. Not sure why you can't applaud the coaching and note flaws in some of the decisions along the way.

Celebrate the wins, take note of the issues. That's how an org improves, IMO.

Back OT, if Perfetti wants to be be here now and for the long run, as he clearly does, the contract will get done. Hopefully in the next week or so. This is not a Trouba scenario.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The special teams were definitely an issue last year. Which is on coaching.

However, would be remiss to point out 7th in 5v5 GF, 12th in xGF% (1% separated 12th to 7th)... When's the last time the Jets rated that highly in those areas prior to Bowness? Why does this get glossed over?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I am not getting this negotiation... Perfetti is definitely worth 3.75m on a bridge - this is a guy you want in the org long-term

I still think its the second year number thats likely a problem for Chevy - he doesn't like to get locked into things.

Reactions: Bigfish

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I am not getting this negotiation... Perfetti is definitely worth 3.75m on a bridge - this is a guy you want in the org long-term

I still think its the second year number thats likely a problem for Chevy - he doesn't like to get locked into things.
I think that these young guys coming off the ELC with no arbitration rights have figured out that they do, in fact, have a ton of leverage

If I'm Cole, I'm asking for a long term deal where both the AAV and the term favors me (depending on what he values - 8 years for long term security or 5 or 6 years for setting himself up for his next big payday)

If Chevy doesn't bite, I say "fine, two year bridge and I'll walk myself to UFA though the arbitration process like Trouba and PLD did"

Sure, chevy holds all the cards on this next contract, but ultimately Cole is in the driver's seat with how this plays out over the next 4-8 years

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It is so hard to know what is going on with Chevy, as everything is held so tight to the vest. I'm still think a long term deal gets done, as I don't think you push it into camp for a bridge deal, as the Jets have historically been pretty fair with those.

Why would you talk about Jets pushing it into TC for a bridge deal? Its like you see it as only being about what Jets want. How about Jets want LT and Perfetti wants bridge and that is why he is not signed?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think that these young guys coming off the ELC with no arbitration rights have figured out that they do, in fact, have a ton of leverage

If I'm Cole, I'm asking for a long term deal where both the AAV and the term favors me (depending on what he values - 8 years for long term security or 5 or 6 years for setting himself up for his next big payday)

If Chevy doesn't bite, I say "fine, two year bridge and I'll walk myself to UFA though the arbitration process like Trouba and PLD did"

Sure, chevy holds all the cards on this next contract, but ultimately Cole is in the driver's seat with how this plays out over the next 4-8 years
Or the GM doesn’t move and December 1st is quickly approaching and in Perffeti’s situation he also doesn’t get an accrued year towards UFA status if he doesn’t play. I don’t think Chevy would ever let that happen but that is his ultimate leverage, Perfetti’s desire to play hockey with no other options.

Reactions: sipowicz

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Or the GM doesn’t move and December 1st is quickly approaching and in Perffeti’s situation he also doesn’t get an accrued year towards UFA status if he doesn’t play. I don’t think Chevy would ever let that happen but that is his ultimate leverage, Perfetti’s desire to play hockey with no other options.
Has that ever happened?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed, while Perfetti has some leverage, the Jets have more at this point in Time. There is zero incentive for Cole to hold out into the year and I'm sure his camp is aware of that.

There will be a deal before the end of camp imo. Likely with enough time for him to get into a couple of exhibition games.

But I do agree with @Buffdog that how much Chevy wants flex his leverage could influence how Cole views his long term future here. But I think his usage over the next few years is much more of a factor for that. If he is given usage in line with his results and is allowed to progress then I'm sure he'd be open to staying even if inked to bridge.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why would you talk about Jets pushing it into TC for a bridge deal? Its like you see it as only being about what Jets want. How about Jets want LT and Perfetti wants bridge and that is why he is not signed?
The rumours have been Perfetti being open to a long term deal. And I always look from the organization’s perspective as players come and go.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It came damn close with Trouba. I think both sides don’t want it to get there but it is a bigger hammer for the team.
Yeah, that's the nuclear option. At that point, all bridges are burnt and a trade at less than market value is the only outcome.

Chevydoesnt seem like the type to do that and neither does Cole (although he has the right representative for it)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The rumours have been Perfetti being open to a long term deal. And I always look from the organization’s perspective as players come and go.

Even in his Vegas availability he seemed to allude to wanting a long term deal. He talked about a short term deal in the frame of if the org wants to go short then I just have to be ready to show what I can do or something to that extent. Could all just be posture or or could be what he wants. We will see what ultimately happens.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think we have heard that recently. Of course he was always open to a long term deal if it was the right LT deal.

The point is that there are always 2 parties to a negotiation.

I never like it when contract negotiations go into TC. The players need TC to get up to speed for the season. They can work out all they want but it is not the same.

That's all very true - but - PO.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Even in his Vegas availability he seemed to allude to wanting a long term deal. He talked about a short term deal in the frame of if the org wants to go short then I just have to be ready to show what I can do or something to that extent. Could all just be posture or or could be what he wants. We will see what ultimately happens.

My hope is that Perfetti really wants a long term deal so he is asking for 4M+ on a bridge. Hopefully this motivates the Jets to go long term and lock him in at a good AAV

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, that's the nuclear option. At that point, all bridges are burnt and a trade at less than market value is the only outcome.

Chevydoesnt seem like the type to do that and neither does Cole (although he has the right representative for it)
Agreed. I don’t expect anything like that either. I’m still holding out hope for a long term deal everyone is happy with.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just for a frame of reference, 5 of Chevy's top 7 homegrown RFA negotiations went into training camp without a deal done (KC, Laine, Trouba, JoMo, and now Perfetti). The only two marquee guys that signed prior to camp where Mark and Ehlers. Ehlers though was signed a year early (only player they have done this with).

Trouba wanted out so he's in his own category.

JoMo signed Sept 16 which was a fee days into that camp.

KC and Laine signed on Sept 28 and 29.

So there really is nothing to see here, this is just normal operating procedure for the org with these types of deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad