Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Kaliyev signs for 825k. He scored 6 more goals and 4 less points than Perfetti over his ELC. But he played more games?!? Yes, I agree that Perfetti is injury prone.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In that case, Pinto scored at a 54 point pace last year and Perfetti at a 44 point pace, so they can’t be comps either.

Sorry, I’m a little frustrated this is taking so long

You can be frustrated all you want but this is what happens when a coach dicks around a player and screws with their earning potential. His usage directly cost Cole 200k last year and has impacted his bargianing position, his agent won't be leaving a penny on the table.

Also this is hardly new for Chevy, all of JoMo, KC, and Laine also held out into camp. This is par for the course for him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
perfetti is listed on the TC roster. not sure if that means he will 100% be there if a contract is not signed. Murat mentioned not to expect him if there's no contract fwiw.

looking back at 2019- both KC and Laine were not on the TC roster when they were unsigned at the time

Reactions: Buffdog

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
You can be frustrated all you want but this is what happens when a coach dicks around a player and screws with their earning potential. His usage directly cost Cole 200k last year and has impacted his bargianing position, his agent won't be leaving a penny on the table.

Also this is hardly new for Chevy, all of JoMo, KC, and Laine also held out into camp. This is par for the course for him.

Agree. I'd be asking for those lost bonus payments as backpay if I were CP.

And the Jets have always ground out these contracts when they could. Athletic's longform article about Andrew Copp's experience years ago was pretty revealing about the process.

Still hoping for longer term as the Jets seem historically to have done for those players they consider part of the core -- 55, 44, 27, 81, etc -- but if it's a bridge it's a bridge.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Agree. I'd be asking for those lost bonus payments as backpay if I were CP.

And the Jets have always ground out these contracts when they could. Athletic's longform article about Andrew Copp's experience years ago was pretty revealing about the process.

Still hoping for longer term as the Jets seem historically to have done for those players they consider part of the core -- 55, 44, 27, 81, etc -- but if it's a bridge it's a bridge.
Cole had plenty of chances to hit his bonuses. He just went ice cold. Goalless in 23 games IIRC

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I never thought I'd ever say this , but it's actually refreshing to hear that a prospective new deal hinges on actual dollars and cents/term for once and NOT about a player having any issue with Winnipeg or with playing with the Jets.

Reactions: weslox

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I never thought I'd ever say this , but it's actually refreshing to hear that a prospective new deal hinges on actual dollars and cents/term for once and NOT about a player having any issue with Winnipeg or with playing with the Jets.

With all due respect, it is possible he just wants to play in another market, and we don't know. The public probably knows about 5% of the contract negotiation details based on Dreger "leaks", if that...

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
With all due respect, it is possible he just wants to play in another market, and we don't know. The public probably knows about 5% of the contract negotiation details based on Dreger "leaks", if that...
That's why I'm hoping for a long term deal

A two year bridge opens the door to him "Trouba-ing" his way to UFA through the arbitration process

My biggest nightmare scenario is him wanting to be here long term and him being willing to sign a 5-8 year deal but Chevy not being comfy with the AAV so they settle on a bridge and it sours him on the org to a point where he changes his mind

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Cole had plenty of chances to hit his bonuses. He just went ice cold. Goalless in 23 games IIRC
1726692338799.jpeg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's why I'm hoping for a long term deal

A two year bridge opens the door to him "Trouba-ing" his way to UFA through the arbitration process

My biggest nightmare scenario is him wanting to be here long term and him being willing to sign a 5-8 year deal but Chevy not being comfy with the AAV so they settle on a bridge and it sours him on the org to a point where he changes his mind
It is so hard to know what is going on with Chevy, as everything is held so tight to the vest. I'm still think a long term deal gets done, as I don't think you push it into camp for a bridge deal, as the Jets have historically been pretty fair with those.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I just hate that Chevy has a habit of absolutely grinding his RFAs… Connor, Morrissey, Trouba(though that one was more complex), Laine and now Perfetti. If you truly believe he a core piece, as long as it’s not outlandishly off, find a way to have these not drag out. We’ve had enough people force their way out, let’s not penalize the ones wanting to stay and commit(assuming that’s his true intention).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I just hate that Chevy has a habit of absolutely grinding his RFAs… Connor, Morrissey, Trouba(though that one was more complex), Laine and now Perfetti. If you truly believe he a core piece, as long as it’s not outlandishly off, find a way to have these not drag out. We’ve had enough people force their way out, let’s not penalize the ones wanting to stay and commit(assuming that’s his true intention).
There is no doubt in my mind that both parties want to get a deal done - but they can't get together on the money.

It's really hard to call out one party when you don't know what is on the table.
But it's looks like they are not close - that doesn't sound much like a GM grind but more of a pretty serious gap between how the player value is interpreted.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lets remember who Perfetti's agent is before we say it's Chevy not getting the deal done. It's Kurt show me the money Overpay .

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Lets remember who Perfetti's agent is before we say it's Chevy not getting the deal done. It's Kurt show me the money Overpay .
Just 2 guys doing their job.
KO is doing what he does very well for his clients.
Cheveldayoff doing his job for Chipman.
If you want to keep guys you drafted who don’t mind being here then you find a way.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just 2 guys doing their job.
KO is doing what he does very well for his clients.
Cheveldayoff doing his job for Chipman.
If you want to keep guys you drafted who don’t mind being here then you find a way.

Yea this is just the business side of hockey. I for one am glad Chevy and his bad cop Simmons are grinders. Cap Managment is critical in the NHL. The only negotiation that left a sour taste in my mouth was with Andrew Copp. Even then that all “eventually” turned out well for both parties.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Man you're projecting a LOT of your negative feelings about how you think the org. handles players on contract negotiations.

Everyone knows who Coles agent is, and knows how much of a grinder Chevy is.

I wish all GMs were as fiscally responsible as Cheveldayoff. Then these players wouldn't have the leverage they have.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Man you're projecting a LOT of your negative feelings about how you think the org. handles players on contract negotiations.

Everyone knows who Coles agent is, and knows how much of a grinder Chevy is.

I wish all GMs were as fiscally responsible as Cheveldayoff. Then these players wouldn't have the leverage they have.
Exactly.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Still, at least this is not being perceived as a player not wanting to live in Winnipeg..True North and Perfetti's camp seem to be in lock step on how this handed from a public relations standpoint. ( So far)

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Would you rather have someone like Kyle Dumbass that hands out contracts like he was acting on behalf of the player instead of the team. It's a negotiation process, you ask for the moon and they counter with their number, rinse and repeat until a deal gets done. Overcharge has a history of making negotiations rough, have faith in Chevy that he will do what's best for the team, not necessarily for your feelings.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Are you saying that the Associate coach, the heir to Boneheads head coaching job, had no input into line-up decisions?

Bones pulled the same shit in Dallas with Hintz and Robertson and Arniel wasn't there. It wouldn't have mattered who was here with him he'd still have pulled it with Cole as it seems to be part of his development playbook. Bones had final say and kept touting his lame ass line of if I can scratch these elc players I can scratch Cole mantra.
1000007736.jpg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If it's for the betterment of the team it's hard to complain. Also there is a player side they may be making it difficult too.

Reactions: LowLefty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad