Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports that a significant gap continues to exist in talks between the two sides, with no immediate resolution in sight.

"This has been a delicate, on-and-off again type of negotiation between the Jets and the camp that represents Cole Perfetti," Dreger said Tuesday on Insider Trading. "I know that Perfetti feels great, he had an excellent off-season of training, and he’s looking forward to working for coach Scott Arniel.

"But, there is a significant gap in this negotiation, and unless something changes in the very near future, then it’s pretty obvious that Perfetti is going to miss some time."

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports that a significant gap continues to exist in talks between the two sides, with no immediate resolution in sight.

"This has been a delicate, on-and-off again type of negotiation between the Jets and the camp that represents Cole Perfetti," Dreger said Tuesday on Insider Trading. "I know that Perfetti feels great, he had an excellent off-season of training, and he’s looking forward to working for coach Scott Arniel.

"But, there is a significant gap in this negotiation, and unless something changes in the very near future, then it’s pretty obvious that Perfetti is going to miss some time."

Sounds like an final offer from Chevy

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Cole really doesn't have leverage here and his body of work isn't good enough for a hold out to be the effective play. Thinks this is just last minute posturing to try to force a bit more from Chevy.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Cole really doesn't have leverage here and his body of work isn't good enough for a hold out to be the effective play. Thinks this is just last minute posturing to try to force a bit more from Chevy.

Yessir. A 6ft4 top 4 defenceman who outscored Cole by 9 points just signed for 4M on a bridge so how much of a gap can there be….

Reactions: ekotyluk

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He likely wants the Pinto deal and I'd imagine the Jets are offering the Vilardi deal so about 500k or so apart.

Friedman was mentioning on his last podcast that he is hearing the Jets are not willing to do the Pinto deal for Perfetti. Jets are grinders and Cole doesn’t have a ton of leverage. One way or another it will get done I am not that worried about the “process”.

Reactions: surixon

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Friedman was mentioning on his last podcast that he is hearing the Jets are not willing to do the Pinto deal for Perfetti. Jets are grinders and Cole doesn’t have a ton of leverage. One way or another it will get done I am not that worried about the “process”.

Hopefully the gap will push them toward a long term deal.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

Immiment signing confirmed

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The comp I am most interested to see will be Dawson Mercer. After a phenomenal sophomore season of 56 points he (like the Devils team) regressed hard last season ending up with 33 points in 82 games, compared to Perfetti’s 38 in 71.

That contract will be interesting.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I fully anticipate Perfetti to have a break out year and be in the 60 to 70pt range. I can absolutely see that happening.I get the sense he has addressed his shortcomings. I feel like the slump and the healthy scratch last season were great things for him - sometimes you need to see that stuff in order to grow and I certainly get the sense that this is where he is at listening to his interviews.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup, as I said he doesn't have the body of work where a hold out will do anything for him. They likely settle around 3.5 million when all is said and done a few days into camp ala JoMo's second deal.

Reactions: ps241 and thereturn

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
one of the insiders said recently the Jets felt Pinto's deal was to high for Perfetti. IIRC it was reported Perfetti wanted 4m on a bridge, & EvolvingHockey had him closer to 3m. perhaps the Jets are closer to the latter in terms of a bridge deal.

for that initial Pinto deal was that 0.775m for half the year though? aren't deals that are signed in season valued at GP remaining?

Good point.... I checked & he was suspended in September, but the contract was signed in January (according to PuckPedia). Maybe it was pro-rated and PuckPedia doesn't show it?

Either way, I kind of see the Jets' reasoning on this. Definitely unusual circumstances for Pinto.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good point.... I checked & he was suspended in September, but the contract was signed in January (according to PuckPedia). Maybe it was pro-rated and PuckPedia doesn't show it?

Either way, I kind of see the Jets' reasoning on this. Definitely unusual circumstances for Pinto.

From what the talking heads are saying, many GMs don't like how Ottawa does their second contracts with the youngsters. They seem to think they overpay on all of them which pushes the market up.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I fully anticipate Perfetti to have a break out year and be in the 60 to 70pt range. I can absolutely see that happening.I get the sense he has addressed his shortcomings. I feel like the slump and the healthy scratch last season were great things for him - sometimes you need to see that stuff in order to grow and I certainly get the sense that this is where he is at listening to his interviews.
Believe it when I see it, foot speed is his biggest issue, unfortunatley he can't change his size in terms of height, hopefully he's put on a few pounds (of muscle)!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Makes you wonder if Cole thinks he's worth the Raymond deal long term
would you give him 8M?
I could swear that Scheif and Helle were all but gone at this time last year too...
they all had a year remaining on their contracts at the time, & the team was always communicating their desire to compete while holding on to some other UFA-1s or not really transacting like a rebuild-team prior to September . it was the delusional HF rebuild crew that just kept regurgitating the same shit over and over.

perfetti doesn't have options so he won't be gone. a few other high 1sts that the Jets have had took until mid-Sept to sign so it's not like this is totally uncommon.

Last edited:

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Believe it when I see it, foot speed is his biggest issue, unfortunatley he can't change his size in terms of height, hopefully he's put on a few pounds (of muscle)!
Oh absolutely, I agree. I kind of relect on old Bambi legs there and how he was when he first hit the ice. Strength and foot speed were lacking but they were focused on and Chef has been good in those areas since. Perfetti's attitude is excellent and appears to also be a student of the game, so I will not be shocked if he took a look at those shortcomings and hit them head on. I am thinking we see some leaps in progression and endurance. Kids oozes skill so I think this season projects to be a postive one for him, if he remains healthy.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Nope, he hasn't earned that. Raymond's body of work is better than Cole's

But that's not to say that I don't think that it's possible that someday he'll be worth that

I'd lock him down long term in the 6.XM range (*maybe* 7.0M) or bridge him
it'd also be 500k less than scheifele and helle who signed for their UFA years. i can see why the Jets don't want to do that. even 6M seems a tad high based on EvolvingHockey's contract projections however to get it locked-in for 8 years, a ~500k overpay i wouldn't worry about it to much, but it's not my money :laugh:.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope we sign Perfetti. He's been very injury prone over the years, but showed some promise at points last year. If he doesn't want to sign for a reasonable salary, let him sit.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
it'd also be 500k less than scheifele and helle who signed for their UFA years. i can see why the Jets don't want to do that. even 6M seems a tad high based on EvolvingHockey's contract projections however to get it locked-in for 8 years, a ~500k overpay i wouldn't worry about it to much, but it's not my money :laugh:.

Lundell is 6 yrs x $5M
Byfield is 5 yrs x $6.25M

I'd think Cole belongs somewhere in the middle, say $5.75M.

But Chevy's probably offering no more than $5M and Perfetti's agent is asking for no less than $6.25M. So we grind it out....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Lundell is 6 yrs x $5M
Byfield is 5 yrs x $6.25M

I'd think Cole belongs somewhere in the middle, say $5.75M.

But Chevy's probably offering no more than $5M and Perfetti's agent is asking for no less than $6.25M. So we grind it out....
probably. I think the Jets are usually pretty fair with their RFA contracts given what the rest of the NHL RFA group signs for.

the idea that was presented is if Perfetti was using Raymond's 8M/year for 8 years as a comparable which i think for sure the Jets would not do.

Reactions: jamiebez

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I still think the Jets sign Koal before the season starts, also feel like it will be a bridge deal as the Jets and his representation may feel that they are not on the same page on a long term deal. A bridge just might benefit both parties.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad