Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
How much cap space do we currenly have? I ask because I look at Puck Pedia and then Cap Wages and they show different numbers. PP is also including all 3 of Kupari, Gus, and AJF (wouldn't have room for all 3), and Cap Wages includes Kupari, Gus, and JAD.

PP is saying 5.7 and Cap Wages is saying 6.6. And each includes a cap of 775K that likely isn't on the team.

Dam you Cap Friendly (Washington)!

Edit: Looks like Puck Pedia is also including Comrie. If you remove his 825K (?), both cap space numbers equal 6.6. Should be enough for a long term deal.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How much cap space do we currenly have? I ask because I look at Puck Pedia and then Cap Wages and they show different numbers. PP is also including all 3 of Kupari, Gus, and AJF (wouldn't have room for all 3), and Cap Wages includes Kupari, Gus, and JAD.

PP is saying 5.7 and Cap Wages is saying 6.6. And each includes a cap of 775K that likely isn't on the team.

Dam you Cap Friendly (Washington)!

Edit: Looks like Puck Pedia is also including Comrie. If you remove his 825K (?), both cap space numbers equal 6.6. Should be enough for a long term deal.

We will have around 6.6 million once they waive Comrie.

Reactions: Huffer

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And would we have another 775K when they move AJF or JAD down as well? (Depending on what site you look at)

I think that would depend on how many we want to carry on the roster.

But 6.6 is more then enough space to sign Cole long term and still have room to accrue for the deadline.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I went for a walk this morning and met the lady who sleeps on the Empress Street Bicycle Path. She told me that Cole Perfetti was ready to sign an eight year deal with the Jets. "That's great news," I said, "but are you sure it's for eight years?" She said that Cole's last name has eight letters don't it? How could I ever doubt her. Maybe she's Christine Simpson's replacement, as she has more accurate news than Elliotte Friedman...:thumbu:

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Honestly if they just want the Pinto deal then the Jets should just sign it. Seems silly they are still haggling about it. They must not be far apart if Cole is still atte doing charity events.

If the choice is between a pinto bridge or somewhere between Lundell and Byfield on a long term deal, I know what the Jets are pushing for.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pinto always seemed like the closest comparable.

fwiw evolvinghockey had Perfetti at 2x3M IIRC, so maybe the Jets are more in-line with that projection. also heard perfetti's camp was looking at 4M on a bridge. regardless, he will be playing as a Jet as he doesn't have many other options, & comes off as wanting to be here.
From IC -- Contrct talks progressing "nicely:"

Reactions: hn777 and Buffdog

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Friedman also mentioned on a previous pod that teams do not like using Ottawa deals as comparables. I guess the thought is that guys were overpaid by the previous ownership regime.

He mentioned it specifically with Yzerman not wanting to use Tim Stutzle as a comparable for Lucas Raymond, but I wonder if Chevy feels the same about the Pinto deal?

Pinto went unsigned for half of 2022-23 due to his gambling suspension. The Sens were cap strapped, so he signed a league minimum deal at $775k when the suspension ended. The thought at the time he signed his current 2x$3.75M deal was that it was really more like a 3x$2.75M deal encompassing the previous season.

It is a little bit of an outlier. Most salary models have Perfetti at like $3.5 or less.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd be pretty okay with a 2 year bridge deal here. Not a big enough body of work to go 6+ years on a big $ deal.

The issue with this line of thinking is if he breaks out he will be commending $8 million plus next deal and he will have the arbitration hammer.

But I've always thought it made more sense for Cole to bridge given how his coach handled his back half last year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Dreggar also seems to think it will be a bridge. No idea what the hold up would be on a bridge.
I think Chevy would love a long term deal if it came at his number or close to it. I’ve believed all along both sides are exploring a long term deal and a bridge is the fall back position if it can’t be worked out.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad