Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My guess is that the Jets have offered terms for a bridge and a long-term deal, and Perfetti's agent is trying to get the best deal possible. I think it could go either way - a bridge or a long-term deal. They bridged Morrissey, so I wouldn't be all that shocked if they end up with a bridge deal with Perfetti.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

Interesting intervuew with Perfetti at today's media sessions.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

This makes me lean towards both parties working towards a LT deal if the number looks reasonable. Perfetti comes across as the anti-Mcgroarty--saying all the right things but also walking the walk.
The Jets will make a very strong and important statement about the the character of players who want to stay here if this gets done.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

That was a great interview with Perfetti. I’m really hoping they get a long term deal done that everyone is happy with.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This makes me lean towards both parties working towards a LT deal if the number looks reasonable. Perfetti comes across as the anti-Mcgroarty--saying all the right things but also walking the walk.
The Jets will make a very strong and important statement about the the character of players who want to stay here if this gets done.

Yeah good article. Seems I was right that Bones was doing his whole tough love with elc players shtick with Cole because he could. Not shocked he disagreed with it.

Still I'm happy to hear he wants to be part of this core and a big part of the solution of the team.

Sounds like a player that is confident something will get done soon.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah good article. Seems I was right that Bones was doing his whole tough love with elc players shtick with Cole because he could. Not shocked he disagreed with it.

Still I'm happy to hear he wants to be part of this core and a big part of the solution of the team.

Sounds like a player that is confident something will get done soon.
I also think him feeling connected to the core players goes a long way. All indications is the core group has embraced him and has helped him feel like he is an important part of that group.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I also think him feeling connected to the core players goes a long way. All indications is the core group has embraced him and has helped him feel like he is an important part of that group.

Absolutely, Scheifele was there from day one and he's been working out with him, Lowry and JoMo.

It absolutely makes a big difference when your leaders welcome and support you.

Just contradicts the whole our leadership group hates kids mantra that has gone around. I think they just expect a certain level of professionalism/dedication. Players like KC and Cole quickly find there way in, but players like Laine clash.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Absolutely, Scheifele was there from day one and he's been working out with him, Lowry and JoMo.

It absolutely makes a big difference when your leaders welcome and support you.

Just contradicts the whole our leadership group hates kids mantra that has gone around. I think they just expect a certain level of professionalism/dedication. Players like KC and Cole quickly find there way in, but players like Laine clash.
100% agree. I kid like Perfetti works hard every day. Does what is asked without complaining and keeps working to improve. I expect him to have a big breakout season and wouldn’t be surprised if he is one day part of our leadership group.

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
Elliotte Friedman sounds fairly confident it will be a bridge deal. Less complicated of a deal to make - really don't understand the delay then.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Does seem like a bridge deal (with common ground) has been put aside as a longer term deal is being negotiated. Likely less common ground and more differences in opinion on term and dollar value. Likely trying to see how that goes before inking a deal.

Perhaps EF has heard they are still far apart there, and is guessing they turn to the bridge deal before the start of camp.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Does seem like a bridge deal (with common ground) has been put aside as a longer term deal is being negotiated. Likely less common ground and more differences in opinion on term and dollar value. Likely trying to see how that goes before inking a deal.

Perhaps EF has heard they are still far apart there, and is guessing they turn to the bridge deal before the start of camp.

Just listened to it and EF isn't making much sense. He flat out says both sides are keeping it very quiet and then indicates he believes it to be a bridge and that there is still a gap. Where the heck is he getting his info if both sides aren't saying anything....

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
looking at 1st rounders bridge deals specifically

morrissey bridge deal - signed sept
laine bridge deal - signed sept
trouba bridge deal - signed nov, don't think we have a trouba-holdout situation on our hands though. nevertheless.
bogosian as well sept for his bridge.

then you got lower end players like stanley earlier (August)
vilardi was july but given he hadn't played a game here yet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Just listened to it and EF isn't making much sense. He flat out says both sides are keeping it very quiet and then indicates he believes it to be a bridge and that there is still a gap. Where the heck is he getting his info if both sides aren't saying anything....

I'm guessing that Chevy has an acceptable bridge in his pocket to prevent Cole missing time, but he really wants to get him locked up - but the sides are still a bit far apart in terms of parameters of a long term deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm guessing that Chevy has an acceptable bridge in his pocket to prevent Cole missing time, but he really wants to get him locked up - but the sides are still a bit far apart in terms of parameters of a long term deal.

I'd say that is a logical assumption. It was more that EF was rambling about stuff that he sounded in the know about while saying neither side was talking. Had he stated it was his opinion only it would have made more sense as he contradicted himself imo.

Reactions: NA Hockey and Jet

Whis

Jul 1, 2016
Yeah, I'm okay with giving a little more for a long term deal. We haven't signed a long term deal to someone off an entry deal since KFC I think. Time to show the prospects that we are willing to open up the wallet a little earlier if you show skill and the desire to be here long term.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
The Jets only have 4 forwards signed for next year and only 2 the season after that. They have no cap issues and are going to have to spend some money sometime. Might as well be on a young top 6 player like Perfetti.

The agent probably knows this also, is the only potential issue.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
After losing McGro, I have no problem overpaying Perfetti to get TNSE back on its feet as a desirable destination for prospects...

Agree.

And if there's a recent Jets prospect that's worth betting on in terms of talent, dedication to his craft, work ethic, brains and adaptability in terms of working out what's required to perform at a very high level in every league he's had to learn in -- it's Perfetti.

Yeah, size, and injuries early on -- but my bet is that he's close to PPG for as long as he has quality linemates to set up, plus a solid defensive game and the ol' intangibles. Honestly don't see a better bet in the here-and-now pipeline.

Even a small overpay now is a longterm win, IMO. I fully expect his contract to end up in the 55, JMo, KFC and Ehlers longterm win column.

Plus, he's in the Morrissey class as a spokesperson and role model for the org.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Spitballing. Educated guess. Then when Cole signs a 6+ year deal, EF will say a long term deal was the desired outcome from the start and neither wanted a bridge deal.

And…. no one in the center of the world will care that he had no idea. Other than they will still think the Leafs will now trade for him for scraps (Robertson) this TC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad