Prospect Info: Cole Eiserman, 20th Overall 2024 NHL Draft

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Upset cause he fell to 20
I think there might be some truth to that. He was up there looking out at all the teams that passed on him. So, if he was scowling a bit, maybe that's why. And he also said in his interview that he was honest with teams and the Isles liked him for what he is. Hopefully he's a little pissed off and translates that to doing the hard work needed to succeed.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I didn’t watch the draft but I saw a few people comment this on various Isles-specific and main board threads

I didn't think that was the case, but all these players even at this age are conditioned to be so damn stoic that it's hard to tell what any of them are thinking/feeling. Some showed obvious elation, but most were pretty low key.

Maybe he was just disappointed that he slipped to 20?

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Certainly from this game, he has a lot of things that need to get better. The big question is he willing to change that ? The video certainly points out the warts that brought him down to 20 but at 17 he needs to mature and realize he can’t score all the goals, he needs to make better decisions.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Everybody expected Eiserman to go earlier. I watched the whole 1st round (unfortunately the U.S. broadcast which is BRUTAL), and I think they started talking about Eiserman at around pick #12, I’d have to rewatch it, but I believe it was about then. Red Wings at 15, they were saying Yzerman should draft Eiserman (half jokingly). And then every team after that they mentioned Eiserman. I kept seeing “best available” and it was him, but teams kept picking someone else.

Me personally, I NEVER thought he’d be available for the Isles. So at picks 17-18-19 I started to sweat. I was texting with my uncle (A Ranger’s fan), and we started talking about Eiserman going to Detroit, not just because of Steve Yzerman, because Yzerman is a great GM, and we thought Eiserman would’ve been a smart steal for Detroit. My uncle texted “Eiserman is a scoring machine”, and I texted back, “sure is”.

Right before pick 18, I texted him, “Imagine pairing Eiserman with Bedard”, and my uncle texted “brilliant !”. Then a few minutes later, my uncle texted me “go Isles”, and I texted back, “would love Eiserman, can’t believe he’s still there”, that was RIGHT before the Isles pick. After the pick, he texted “I’m thrilled 4 you, what a steal 4 Isles”.

Man that was a great night. If he pans out, the greatness of that night will increase big time.

Reactions: SI90

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Everybody expected Eiserman to go earlier. I watched the whole 1st round (unfortunately the U.S. broadcast which is BRUTAL), and I think they started talking about Eiserman at around pick #12, I’d have to rewatch it, but I believe it was about then. Red Wings at 15, they were saying Yzerman should draft Eiserman (half jokingly). And then every team after that they mentioned Eiserman. I kept seeing “best available” and it was him, but teams kept picking someone else.

Me personally, I NEVER thought he’d be available for the Isles. So at picks 17-18-19 I started to sweat. I was texting with my uncle (A Ranger’s fan), and we started talking about Eiserman going to Detroit, not just because of Steve Yzerman, because Yzerman is a great GM, and we thought Eiserman would’ve been a smart steal for Detroit. My uncle texted “Eiserman is a scoring machine”, and I texted back, “sure is”.

Right before pick 18, I texted him, “Imagine pairing Eiserman with Bedard”, and my uncle texted “brilliant !”. Then a few minutes later, my uncle texted me “go Isles”, and I texted back, “would love Eiserman, can’t believe he’s still there”, that was RIGHT before the Isles pick. After the pick, he texted “I’m thrilled 4 you, what a steal 4 Isles”.

Man that was a great night. If he pans out, the greatness of that night will increase big time.
Yzerman has thus far fallen struggled in Detroit, he hit on so many draft picks in Tampa in such a short period of time that he hasn’t been able to replicate in Detroit.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yzerman has thus far fallen struggled in Detroit, he hit on so many draft picks in Tampa in such a short period of time that he hasn’t been able to replicate in Detroit.
Struggled? I wouldn't say struggled. He had 3 incredible hits drafting in Tampa: Kucherov, Point, and (to a lesser extent) Palat. Vasilievsky was a good gamble, but not an extraordinary pick. He had some big misses, too (Connolly, Drouin). But his picks really are idiosyncratic, aren't they? They were like that in Tampa, too. Sometimes that really works for him (Seider). Sometimes it really doesn't (like the whole 2020 draft apart from Raymond).

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I posted this over on the Prospects board here - but in case you don't venture over there and just want some views on Eiserman when he's not filling the net endlessly. I created a video that takes a look at his mental process a bit, if it's of any interest...

Wait, did you say you didn't have Bednarik as a draft pick at all this year?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Wait, did you say you didn't have Bednarik as a draft pick at all this year?
That's correct. That type of player isn't in my draft philosophy anyhow, but even if I was looking for potential bottom sixers at some point later in the draft, my list wouldn't start with Bednarik certainly. I don't know, I just don't see it.

I didn't mean for him to catch a stray in that video, I didn't recall that the Islanders had drafted him too. I apologize for that unintended piling on haha - but I'm really surprised to see him go so high (I knew he'd be picked, but more like rounds 5 to 7), and maybe I'll be really surprised that I completely missed the boat and he becomes the next Steve Rucchin...

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
That's correct. That type of player isn't in my draft philosophy anyhow, but even if I was looking for potential bottom sixers at some point later in the draft, my list wouldn't start with Bednarik certainly. I don't know, I just don't see it.

I didn't mean for him to catch a stray in that video, I didn't recall that the Islanders had drafted him too. I apologize for that unintended piling on haha - but I'm really surprised to see him go so high (I knew he'd be picked, but more like rounds 5 to 7), and maybe I'll be really surprised that I completely missed the boat and he becomes the next Steve Rucchin...

That's the beauty of the internet, everyone has access to watch these kids play and can have whatever opinion they want.

But you're certainly an outlier on that one.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, I have no doubt about being an outlier. I also keep a pretty tight list. Not including MN-HS kids, I only had ~25 U.S.-based players that I considered worthy of a draft pick investment.

I just look at it this way: I look at the tools of Bednarik - skill, hockey sense, skating, all that stuff...and blah, blah, blah...what is he gonna be? Luke Glendening? Ok fine...but Luke Glendening can be signed every July 17th for $900,000 or can be acquired for a hell of a lot less than a 2nd round pick if I need one at the deadline.

So, I'm thinking...even if he plays, what do I care? There's not a ton of roster value to that player making it on an ELC. But, say, John Mustard - if he comes in and zips around the ice for a little while from the ages of 22 to 27 or whatever and becomes a Sean Bergenheim type...well, at least I got a couple years of 18 goals on an ELC or something. The draft has infinite possibilities - and, for me - its biggest value add is the potential for entry-level production in a salary cap world.

That doesn't mean I'm just going for homerun shots every single time. And my list is all boom or bust. But I'd just want a hell of a lot more "plus" tools. Like Danny Nelson, for instance, not a future star player by any means...but I had him as strong "B" grade last year. That guy could be the start of a new era of "identity line" for you guys down the line...

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
That doesn't mean I'm just going for homerun shots every single time. And my list is all boom or bust. But I'd just want a hell of a lot more "plus" tools. Like Danny Nelson, for instance, not a future star player by any means...but I had him as strong "B" grade last year. That guy could be the start of a new era of "identity line" for you guys down the line...

Would Islander fans be wrong to see Bednarik as basically just another Danny Nelson-level prospect?

In the grand scheme of things, they'd seem to be in the same overall category and evidence at the USNTDP actually speaks well of Bednarik should one look to compare the two.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Certainly from this game, he has a lot of things that need to get better. The big question is he willing to change that ? The video certainly points out the warts that brought him down to 20 but at 17 he needs to mature and realize he can’t score all the goals, he needs to make better decisions.
I want his coach to teach him how to properly give and take contact , something that Wahlstrom never learned at the lower levels .

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Would Islander fans be wrong to see Bednarik as basically just another Danny Nelson-level prospect?

In the grand scheme of things, they'd seem to be in the same overall category and evidence at the USNTDP actually speaks well of Bednarik should one look to compare the two.
Wrong? No. There's so much room for interpretation between "Right/Wrong", "Yes/No", "Good/Bad" in this arena. As someone who is really invested in trying to call this all as correctly as possible, I don't think they're very close to each other as prospects. I had little doubt Nelson would play - I wasn't even sure it would be at forward - but I had little doubt he'd be a player in some capacity (which, of course, he isn't yet - but he's tracking well). I'm basically completed inverted in my feeling on Bednarik.

In my conversations, I'll say that more and more scouts started seeing it my way on Bednarik as the year went on. But look at Bob McKenzie's list...he's clearly still firmly on lists. I think basically the whole Program got over-drafted this year, it was not a very good team.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I just look at it this way: I look at the tools of Bednarik - skill, hockey sense, skating, all that stuff...and blah, blah, blah...what is he gonna be? Luke Glendening? Ok fine...but Luke Glendening can be signed every July 17th for $900,000 or can be acquired for a hell of a lot less than a 2nd round pick if I need one at the deadline.
This isn't a question about draft strategy - it's a question about the evaluation of those tools. I like Nelson, a lot. But I think Bednarik is ahead of Nelson in every category except, of course, size. Granted that's a huge factor - Nelson is going to be able to push people around at every level, while Bednarik is possibly slightly undersized for a center. But the thing I'm really unclear about is your treatment of hockey sense, coachability, and technique. That + a very high motor is something Bednarik has. He's going to play probably 2 years is college, and when he signs his ELC, there's no reasons he shouldn't already be very close to being NHL ready. Nobody is going to have to teach him good habits or a pro game- he'll just need to get stronger, and get used to the higher pace of play.

I think the Glendening comparison is superficial. Yeah, both are detail oriented, and have high motors, but Bednarik seems both more deliberate with the puck, and more skilled. If your report on Eiserman is correct, Bednarik had the unenviable task of making a line with two very idiosyncratic players work on a line. And he did it. He's WAY ahead of a guy like Glendening was at the same age. And unlike his linemate Eiserman, he wasn't seeing as much PP time. So, he got his production at 2nd line TOI/PP unit at the junior level. imo a better comparison in terms of attributes and situation is Adam Henrique.

It's not going to take very long to find out about both guys by seeing how much they are each trusted in their first years, and then how much each produces. Will he look Jack Drury-ish in his first year? Or struggle? We'll know pretty soon.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Interesting. That's not how I see it, nor our team at HP. We graded on a 3 to 9 scale (IQ-Compete-Skill-Skate-Misc.) for Nelson as 7-6-6-7-8 in 2023. Bednarik as 6-5-5-5-5 in 2024. Nelson was ranked 39th, Bednarik didn't make our list of 109 or whatever final number was 114?

I value hockey sense above all else. And Bednarik's good, but it's not awe-inspiring. And as much you can say, he's dealing with "idiosyncratic" players on a line...there's also a measure of predictability with that. Eiserman - for all intents and purposes - doesn't pass. He doesn't pass to a level that is rarely seen for a draftable prospect. Bednarik never has to think about getting the puck back a second time in a shift. So, that takes an element away from his mental game and his progression. I even brush on it in the Eiserman video for a moment, that's not good positioning in that area.

As I wrote in the Blackbook too: In a late season game vs. Dubuque, close game, mid-3rdperiod: Post-faceoff scramble, offensive zone, Bednarik has a clear path to winning the puck and he does. There is pressure on his back. He must be somewhat aware of the pile of bodies in the slot, as he just came from that same pile a stride and a half ago. He is facing away from the Dubuque net, he has two open point men to kick it back to…his body posture is directionally towards them. Bednarik chooses a no-look, spin-around, fadeaway wrister into all five Fighting Saints and one NTDP player. Needless to say, it doesn’t get through and the puck is lost. To be a play facilitator inside, the panic threshold needs to be better; the mental processor needs to be sharper.

His technical skills aren't strong, fine. But it's not like he's an honor roll student either. Not saying dumb by any means, but it's not a genius certainly. And he doesn't compensate for it with his feet or his motor, which are "average" and "good", in that order for my tastes. Now, his motor might be turned down a bit because he's playing in a scoring role. That's fine. But his puck battle wins, his inside leverage game, all that stuff needs to be way, way better for him to have a shot.

For the record, Bednarik did get plenty of power play time. He led the U18s in PP assists, in fact. Though, many of them are off of net-mouth scrambles. He wasn't the quarterback or anything. That doesn't mean they don't count or anything, but - when you talk about the playmaking process - they're a bit of a product of the situation he was in.

Like you said, we'll see. I just don't see the dynamic qualities that you need to play as it stands right now.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I will add that Eiserman was playing pretty much with a grinder. Put him with a skilled playmaker, ala Barzal.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I would say Bednarik, based on their draft year stats, has more offensive upside than Danny Nelson. Though Nelson had a fine college season after he was drafted. Let’s see if Bednarik can match or surpass Nelson’s freshman year.

I’m just happy to have Bednarik & Nelson, as well as Eiserman and Schulz, all 4 should make USA’s world junior team.

I will add that Eiserman was playing pretty much with a grinder. Put him with a skilled playmaker, ala Barzal.
I think we will see that in the next 2 years. I think that’s the plan.

Reactions: Potvottier

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Interesting. That's not how I see it, nor our team at HP. We graded on a 3 to 9 scale (IQ-Compete-Skill-Skate-Misc.) for Nelson as 7-6-6-7-8 in 2023. Bednarik as 6-5-5-5-5 in 2024. Nelson was ranked 39th, Bednarik didn't make our list of 109 or whatever final number was 114?
I really don't understand or share how these evaluations stand except IQ (Nelson looks like he doesn't have to think/deliberate to maintain triangles) unless 'for his size' applies in each case for Nelson. Bednarik's acceleration, athleticism, etc. seem much better than Nelson's with the proviso that for 6'3 210+, Nelson does pretty well. And the word on Nelson was that his motor/pace of play needed work. Seems the opposite is true of Bednarik. (Possibly Nelson's 'motor' criticism was simply a result of him transitioning from D to F.)

At any rate, the flip side to this is if you're right, we have a lot of reason to be excited about Nelson. He's huge, is still 18, and had a successful 1st year at ND along with a strong WJC in a defensive center role. Looking forward to him possibly playing a larger role in the upcoming WJC. Hopefully he can score at UND, because they really need him to.

Reactions: Potvottier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad