Cole Caufield turning into a legit superstar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ignore the stats, which are good. Watching Caufield now, he has that absolute self-confidence in his abilities, and is one of the most exciting players Montreal has seen for a long time, with Kovalev being an oasis in the late-2000s.

When Montreal drafted him, I thought Caufield would be a mere sniper, someone who would finish the plays and that's it. But he's becoming so much more than that. He's very dangerous in the offensive zone, is a much better stickhandler than I expected, and honestly he reminds me of Patrick Kane, without saying he'll be as good. He just has that clutch aura of the guy who will score the big goal and elevate his play in the big moments.

It helps that Nick Suzuki is also blossoming simultaneously as an all-around #1 center.

Overall, I wonder if Caufield isn't about to turn into the best Montreal winger since Guy Lafleur. For now I still prefer peak 2008 Kovalev, but it's close and CC is just getting started. He certainly has that swagger that characterized both Lafleur's and Kovalev's careers in MTL.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
His shooting % looks unsustainable to me, at least at 5v5 where he's close to 19%. If you look at 5v5 unblocked shot attempts he's sitting at 14.3% while his expected shooting percentage is only 6.8%.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
He is so dangerous in the offensive zone. He has to be up there in the top 5 or 10 in the league with fastest releases and that is what he relies on. He sure snipes some goals with it. His play making ability is really good too.

Someone above me said that superstar is a stretch but he is a legit 40 goal per season threat. He also had 14 points over the first 12 games of the season. Dach has started playing on the line with Caufield and Suzuki about 5 games ago or so and they all have great chemistry together. Their’s a lot of season left to play for him to prove me wrong but I don’t feel like he will. He does have superstar potential.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
maybe, but :

goals since feb 10 2022 - Google Search

Only Kaprizov, Matthews, McDavid, and Tage Thompson have scored more goals than he has since Marty st. Louis took over.

30 goals (49 points) in 49 GP under Marty thus far. More goals than Stamkos, Ovechkin, and Drai during this span.

He's on his way if this keeps up
If only the season was played from. February 10th until November 7th with 2.5 months of nothing in the middle of it.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Let's see if he can pass 43 points first.
I love that you're true to yourself and doubling down on your obsessive hate affair with Caufield. That'll make some great quotes to dig up in the near future along with those :

I see another "Louis Leblanc" coming our way. ...
Caulfield had a good 1st game.........in the AHL. But that doesn't mean very much, and it doesn't make him any kind of lock for the NHL. He's 5'6". I have serious doubts that he ever sticks in the NHL, if he makes it at all.
Caufield has the potential to score 20-25 goals & 40-45 points a year. Congrats, Habs fans. You've got another one.
Try 10-15 goals and 30-35 points.
More like he simply has a little lucky run for a week or two, around once every year or so. ...
1. Raymond
2. Boldy
3. Jarvis
4. Lundell
5. Mercer
6. Sillinger
7. Byfield
8. Newhook
9. Caufield
10. Hayton
Also, Caufield will likely never score much. He's too small. Teeny guy like him will be injured a lot in his career.
Maybe he should've been a 3rd round pick.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Caufield, celebrating with teammates.

Interesting to note: His teammates couldn't actually see him down there, but they knew he was close by and did their best to encourage him. One eventually put a 4-step ladder over the boards so he could come off the ice.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 6.23.17 AM.png

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I love that you're true to yourself and doubling down on your obsessive hate affair with Caufield. That'll make some great quotes to dig up in the near future along with those :
Thank God people like him exist. That's the only reason why we were able to get such a talent at 15o. Bcuz ppl think size is all that matters when ur below 5 9.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Absolutely unreal talent, I can’t wait until the fanbase runs him out of town so I can watch him more consistently.

Montreal fans never chase away exciting (forward) superstars. It's management who did it in the case of Lafleur and Kovalev. The crowd still loves them to this day.

Goalies are a different beast.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If only the season was played from. February 10th until November 7th with 2.5 months of nothing in the middle of it.
Stitching together adjoining numbers from two seasons is a bit gimmicky, I admit, but it does show something interesting: There are no 'flukes' among the top goal scorers on that list. Yes, it's an artificial 50-ish game sample from different time spans. Still, the best players in the league are there, with Caufield right up there with them.

Skepticism is understandable until he does it over a full season, but it's looking more and more like he's joining the club of NHL top snipers.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ignore the stats? Thats the argument for someone who is trying to make a point without actual evidence. :facepalm:

When Kucherov went from 66 to 85 points in one season, that was an example of "turning into a superstar" (scored 100 the year after, then his historic 128 the year after that)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad