Cole Caufield: Is this the year?

How Many Goals Will Caufield Score in 2023/24?

• Total voters

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For his career:
2nd in goals T-4th in points from his draft class... Guess 2019 was a rare "no first liner" year 😥
Jack Hughes and Boldy. That's it.

He’s been dangerous and opportunistic. Best player on his line. Unfortunately though, that line hasn’t been as effective as it was last year. I’d like to see some more shots but it’s nice to see him snipe a few from further out.

No doubt he’s gotten some puck luck but that’s a very welcome change from last year. He’s got something like 15 in 15 dating back to last year. Split between two seasons or not, that’s very encouraging.
He hasn't been the best player on his line. That's ridiculous. He's a turnover machine, he provides zero offensive and defensive support and all He's done is get the puck in the net. The standards are so fricking low around here it's crazy.

Reactions: HabsMD97

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Love seeing Cole potting more goals now but these bad angle wristers won't keep going in at this rate. If we ended up with a Martone or another winger high in the draft I would not at all be opposed to moving Caufield if he could return a good center or defenceman.

I'd like to eventually see a Habs first line that could dominate possession and that will never be Caufield's game. Getting bigger is also really important for this team. I'm not trading him now but if Demidov comes in as a star and Laine proves to be a good option on the left wall, Caufield becomes much less important.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He hasn't been the best player on his line. That's ridiculous. He's a turnover machine, he provides zero offensive and defensive support and all He's done is get the puck in the net. The standards are so fricking low around here it's crazy.
He steals as many pucks as he gives up. He’s the only player on that line who’s been consistently dangerous on offense this year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Love seeing Cole potting more goals now but these bad angle wristers won't keep going in at this rate. If we ended up with a Martone or another winger high in the draft I would not at all be opposed to moving Caufield if he could return a good center or defenceman.

I'd like to eventually see a Habs first line that could dominate possession and that will never be Caufield's game. Getting bigger is also really important for this team.
?

Caufield’s possession numbers have been cartoonishly good. They’re not great so far this year but he’s always been great on that front.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
‘’Caufield needs to score!!! Not scoring enough! Don’t care about assists, his job is to score!!!’’

Caufield scoring goals: but but but
Caufield needs to score and be an actual good player. It's not just scoring 6 goals that's gonna make this team win games. He's been an absolute disappointment on the ice, to the point he's a detriment unless he's shooting it from one very specific spot. He just needs to be the impact player we thought he'd be, or he needs to be moved on from. At 8m we could have a lot more talent than just a slightly worse copy of Mike Hoffman.

He steals as many pucks as he gives up. He’s the only player on that line who’s been consistently dangerous on offense this year.
Yeah that's ridiculous I'm sorry. No he does not. I'll stop this right there you're not serious.

• Haha
Reactions: GrandmaCookie

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
MrB1p is right, Cole is shooting at 30%, we're having a completely different conversation if he was shooting at 15% (which is what it'll by the end of the season). Mike hoffman comparison is apt. Everytime he gets the puck it's a giveaway, he probably leads the team in turnovers. Whenever he has the puck, if he doesn't immediately shoot it, he passes it to the other team. He's back to being atrocious defensively after showing improvements last year.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
MrB1p is right, Cole is shooting at 30%, we're having a completely different conversation if he was shooting at 15% (which is what it'll by the end of the season). Mike hoffman comparison is apt. Everytime he gets the puck it's a giveaway, he probably leads the team in turnovers. Whenever he has the puck, if he doesn't immediately shoot it, he passes it to the other team. He's back to being atrocious defensively after showing improvements last year.
Ah, now he should be good defensively, I thought his job was scoring as people kept saying last season, not passing, play the forecheck or be good defensively.

Interesting.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Even at 15 percent he’d still be pacing for 35 goals. That line hasn’t been great but he’s at least getting some good chances and shots in net.

Suzuki has his best game against New York and hopefully has woken up. Slaf has been okay but not close to what we saw last year.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
If that was true he wouldn't spend 80% of his ice time in his own zone. Through 7 games this is what a typical Caufield shift 5v5 looks like: spends 40secs in his own zone, someone (not him) finally gets it out, Suzuki or Slaf get the puck in the offensive zone if they themselves don't turn it over at the blueline (they usually turn it over), someone will pass it to Cole in the O-zone. Now he has 2 options: shoot or make a play. If he shoots, 30% of the time it goes in, if it doesn't go in or if he tries to make a play, it's an immediate turnover and the habs are back to defending for the next 5min. On his line he's been the one who's killed the VAST majority of plays.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If that was true he wouldn't spend 80% of his ice time in his own zone. Through 7 games this is what a typical Caufield shift 5v5 looks like: spends 40secs in his own zone, someone (not him) finally gets it out, Suzuki or Slaf get the puck in the offensive zone if they themselves don't turn it over at the blueline (they usually turn it over), someone will pass it to Cole in the O-zone. Now he has 2 options: shoot or make a play. If he shoots, 30% of the time it goes in, if it doesn't go in or if he tries to make a play, it's an immediate turnover and the habs are back to defending for the next 5min. On his line he's been the one who's killed the VAST majority of plays.
As I said, that line this season hasn’t been good as a whole. Nobody is going to dispute that. But he’s definitely been the best on that line in terms of generating offense.

And it’s also true that his possession numbers coming into this year have been fantastic.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Ah, now he should be good defensively, I thought his job was scoring as people kept saying last season, not passing, play the forecheck or be good defensively.

Interesting.
I don't care what others are saying, I only speak for myself. I never said he needs to be a good defensive player, just not one of the worst in the league and if he is, he needs to score 50 goals min EVERY year like Ovechkin, not 30, not 40. We're talking about a player who's never even scored 30 goals. The goal is to win cups, i don't care if we don't have a single 40 goalscorer on the team as long as we win cups.
I'm predicting this board will suddenly start critiquing his play when he goes a stretch of games where he's scoring on 10% of his shots instead of 30%.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Even at 15 percent he’d still be pacing for 35 goals. That line hasn’t been great but he’s at least getting some good chances and shots in net.

Suzuki has his best game against New York and hopefully has woken up. Slaf has been okay but not close to what we saw last year.
35 goals is simply not good enough if the rest of your games is atrocious. Like Mrb1p said, that's literally what Hoffman was (Caufield still hasn't proven he's near what Hoffman was in his prime which is ironic).

Also his possession numbers have never been fantastic, they've either been horrendous or good and the only time they've been good is when he's played with Dach or Slaf + Suzuki. However, I won't blame that solely on him since ever since MSL took over the team has been a bottom 5 possession team.

Look, I've been a Caufield fan ever since he was drafted. He's one of my favourite players, but I just call it like it is, he simply has not been good enough. 2 years ago I even had him over Suzuki, but he needs to prove he can get back to the level he was at before the shoulder surgery.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I don't care what others are saying, I only speak for myself. I never said he needs to be a good defensive player, just not one of the worst in the league and if he is, he needs to score 50 goals min EVERY year like Ovechkin, not 30, not 40. We're talking about a player who's never even scored 30 goals. The goal is to win cups, i don't care if we don't have a single 40 goalscorer on the team as long as we win cups.
I'm predicting this board will suddenly start critiquing his play when he goes a stretch of games where he's scoring on 10% of his shots instead of 30%.
This board critiquing players and finding new reasons to do so every year? Is it supposed to be new or surprising.

Some here were crying he was shooting 7.5% for a long part of the season last year not picking his spots better and unlucky, and now it’s bad that he has picked better spots/better shots mixed with luck to start the year?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
35 goals is simply not good enough if the rest of your games is atrocious.
The rest of his game is not atrocious.

Again, he’s historically been a terrific possession player.
Like Mrb1p said, that's literally what Hoffman was (Caufield still hasn't proven he's near what Hoffman was in his prime which is ironic).
And MrB1P was wrong.

Mike Hoffman has zero in common with Cole Caufield. He generated half the shots Caufield does. Caufiled has 200+ games and 80 plus goals at age 24. Hoffman wasn't even an NHL regular until age 25.
Also his possession numbers have never been fantastic, they've either been horrendous or good and the only time they've been good is when he's played with Dach or Slaf + Suzuki. However, I won't blame that solely on him since ever since MSL took over the team has been a bottom 5 possession team.
They’ve been excellent through this career.
Look, I've been a Caufield fan ever since he was drafted. He's one of my favourite players, but I just call it like it is, he simply has not been good enough. 2 years ago I even had him over Suzuki, but he needs to prove he can get back to the level he was at before the shoulder surgery.
He should’ve had a 45-55 goal season last year. Only his shoulder prevented it. Was 48 in the previous 82. Now has something like 15 goals in his last 15 games and you’re saying his equivalent is Mike Hoffman? Sorry, no.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

those as the only two forwards from that draft you'd take over Caufield? Sure.

those as the only two forwards from that draft who are, or are in the process of becoming, first line players? Silly.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I expected a first liner, all we got was a glorified Mike Hoffman.

It's so funny seeing you go from Mr Negative to Mr Gobble Gobble everything is perfect.

2nd in goals after 7 games while shooting 20% over his career average. Oh yeah? Tied with Ross Colton.

‘’Caufield needs to score!!! Not scoring enough! Don’t care about assists, his job is to score!!!’’

Caufield scoring goals: but but but let me find a way to twist this

Basically this.

I've never once said everything is perfect, but hey you want to be credited for being the first to turn on Hughes and Gorton, since you were out the second they didn't draft 'elite hands' Shane Wright.

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I'd like to eventually see a Habs first line that could dominate possession and that will never be Caufield's game.
Getting bigger is also really important for this team. I'm not trading him now but if Demidov comes in as a star and Laine proves to be a good option on the left wall, Caufield becomes much less important.

Yes, he could dominate possession if he wasn't constantly facing the best defenders. Don't need to trade him, I'd rather put him on a second line for exploitation.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Interesting.
No he shouldn't be good defensively. There's quite a rift between good and what he is currently.

It's also worth noting that not only is he god-awful defensively, he is straight up bad at everything but the 6 goals he's scored.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

So, he plays exactly like Michkov and yet you have wet dreams about him but Caufield is a shitty player.

Yeah.. you’re just a hater who wants to argue online.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
If you're expectations of CC was a bonafied first liner ppg guy that is great at everything i have some new for you lmao . Expectations are what you make them.

Is he supposed to be what he's not just because he's a hab and it would make you feel all warm inside if he played above his means? Let's be realistic here

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, he could dominate possession if he wasn't constantly facing the best defenders. Don't need to trade him, I'd rather put him on a second line for exploitation.
He dominates possession anyway. Career avg of CF% 55. Best in league is Ovechkin/Crosby at 60. And CC’s relative numbers are off the chart great (though that says a lot about how bad our club is.)

He’s not perfect. He loses more pucks than he should in the offensive zone but he steals a ton of them too. He’ll never be the two way force that Suzuki is. However, he consistently puts up great shot numbers and has already shown elite goalscoring capabilities. He’s not going to score 82 goals this year but there’s a good chance at 40.

That line’s been overmatched possession wise this season - unusual for them. They need to step up. CC still has a good chance at being among the best goalscorers in the league. Hopefully it’s a healthy year and he proves it.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So, he plays exactly like Michkov and yet you have wet dreams about him but Caufield is a shitty player.

Yeah.. you’re just a hater who wants to argue online.
Yes, Michkov who's PPG as a rookie 19 years old. It's true, he plays exactly like Michkov, except he's smaller, weaker, softer and frankly, not even close to being as good offensively.

This is Caufields D+6. Excuses are done, we need to see him be a first liner. If he's not? I don't want such a player on my team. The Mike Hoffman is apt.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, Michkov who's PPG as a rookie 19 years old. It's true, he plays exactly like Michkov, except he's smaller, weaker, softer and frankly, not even close to being as good offensively.

This is Caufields D+6. Excuses are done, we need to see him be a first liner. If he's not? I don't want such a player on my team. The Mike Hoffman is apt.
Once Ducharme was out of the way CC put up 48 in his first 82 with half coming from his rookie year. Last year 314 shots. Those are elite numbers coming from a really young player.

You have to bend yourself into a pretzel to say he’s Mike Hoffman - who wasn’t even a league regular at this age.

And you’ve picked a really weird time to go after him considering he’s a goal per game in his last 15. It’d be one thing to say ‘puck luck’ as that’s true, but to say he sucks? Makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad