Proposal: COL - PIT

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I feel like if Colorado were to move on from Colton they would aim for a more tantalizing return. It’s not the worst proposal, but I think the Avs would get a better offer.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Reilly isn’t amazing but Colton is overpaid. No thanks.

Straight up no retention sure. Or Rakell for Colton

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Reilly Smith 40 points in 76 games and + 3 on a bad team.

Colton 40 points in 80 games and -8 on a top 5 team.

One has to be retained for any value and one is “not overpaid and the going rate”. Yeah ok

Center versus winger alone make this post just look clueless. Without even getting into the TOI breakdown, PP production, linemates, etc. etc.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Reilly Smith 40 points in 76 games and + 3 on a bad team.

Colton 40 points in 80 games and -8 on a top 5 team.

One has to be retained for any value and one is “not overpaid and the going rate”. Yeah ok
Colton plays a different role for the Avs. He’s a crash and bang energy player.

I’m making the case that Colton is making the going rate for a 3c I’m not comparing role or pay to a winger. You said Colton was over paid.. using a comparison. To a winger doesn’t prove anything.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn’t pay a 2nd on top of Smith to get Colton, especially if they’re retaining 50% on Smith.

Is Colton more valuable than Smith? Yeah, but not to that level IMO. Especially with that salary retention.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
From Colorado perspective there is no reason we trade a centre for a wing. We don't have another 3c, not even a 4c at the moment. Colton may not be amazing, but he fills the role sufficiently and we would notice it if he was gone. We have one centre prospect in Ritchie, but he's only d+1 and very likely needs development time before he's ready for this type of role. Maybe he knocks our socks off early season and we explore a trade then. No reason to create a hole we can't fill right now.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
It's amazing how Avs fans have whined endlessly for seasons about not being strong down the middle and now a bunch of them want Colton gone without a viable replacement.

The most bi-polar fan base on HF.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's amazing how Avs fans have whined endlessly for seasons about not being strong down the middle and now a bunch of them want Colton gone without a viable replacement.

The most bi-polar fan base on HF.

I think Penguins fans are the same exact way :laugh:

Penguins fans complain non-stop about having youth but then people say "we can't go into next year with youth in substantial roles because they're not proven". I think all fans on this site do this with something.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
From Colorado perspective there is no reason we trade a centre for a wing. We don't have another 3c, not even a 4c at the moment. Colton may not be amazing, but he fills the role sufficiently and we would notice it if he was gone. We have one centre prospect in Ritchie, but he's only d+1 and very likely needs development time before he's ready for this type of role. Maybe he knocks our socks off early season and we explore a trade then. No reason to create a hole we can't fill right now.

Isn’t the issue that he hasn’t been a successful 3C and been used at W

Feb 5, 2016
Colorado has Kovalenko challenging for a spot on the wing next season, the Avs don’t have a prospect center that could replace Colton at C.

Either way I believe the Avs could be in the market for a winger or two via free agency if it’s known that Landeskog and Nichushkin wouldn’t be returning in a timely fashion within the first couple months of the beginning of the season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Colorado has Kovalenko challenging for a spot on the wing next season, the Avs don’t have a prospect center that could replace Colton at C.

Either way I believe the Avs could be in the market for a winger or two via free agency if it’s known that Landeskog and Nichushkin wouldn’t be returning in a timely fashion within the first couple months of the beginning of the season.
I mean... They absolutely do. But they still aren't going to move Colton. He's a solid player and not at all an issue for us.

Feb 5, 2016
I mean... They absolutely do. But they still aren't going to move Colton. He's a solid player and not at all an issue for us.
I should have rephrased the bolded.

Calum Ritchie could eventually replace Ross Colton but Ritchie would have to blow away Colorado’s front office at training camp, Ritchie most likely ends up back in OHL next season for more playing time and development.

Avs also have a few Eastern European centers but I don’t know if either would be ready to challenge for a spot on the Avs roster down the middle as I’m not familiar enough with those players.

Colorado traded a 2nd round pick to Tampa for Colton, I don’t believe they’d be eager to trade Colton for a 2nd round pick after 1 season while adding Reilly Smith’s retained $2.5mil to the payroll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad