Confirmed with Link: [COL/CHI] Avs Acquire Carl Soderberg for J.Dickinson and R.Rolston

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just realized this is the second time the Avs have flipped a Rolston at the deadline, after acquiring him earlier in the season.

Return is a little different this time though.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Soda will be the 4th line C I’m pretty sure and he’s definitely overqualified for that role.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean he seemed to do ok when playing 3C with Nieto and Comeau for two seasons, and while that line did technically act as a "2B" line, they were still primarily a checking line.

Will he be given the same responsibilities? Probably not. I do wonder where he starts out given Jost's recent 3C success and Bellemre as the 4C.

Yeah, that was more of a 2B line.

I'm not sure he'll be in shutdown role on the 3rd line this year. Maybe Bednar goes with that since Nuke is very good defensively too, but traditionally, Bednar likes to match the MacKinnon line against other teams top lines.

Seems as though they'd like to use Kadri in a shutdown role ahead of Soda too. The 3rd line has been in more of a depth scoring role the last few seasons with the Avs.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
This team is getting really Swedish!
upload_2021-4-12_19-48-30.gif

Reactions: wayninja and Zandar

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I think these are good moves by Joe. He really hasn’t given up anything important while also semi addressing all of the pressing concerns. This might not be the ideal outcome for trades in these three positions, but all of these moves will help us going forward.

I wonder if he couldn’t find a big deal he liked or if he wasn’t looking much at all. Maybe a bit of both.

He does seem to place a bit of value on team chemistry, or at least in this situation something that is familiar and has been successful in the past, and it’s hard for me to argue against either of those ideas.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm fine with this move based on the price, but it seems like an odd one. Like they weren't planning on bringing Soda back, but missed out on other targets, so they did this.

Where does he fit in the lineup? Does he take Jost's spot as 3C? Does he take Belly's spot as 4C? He doesn't usually play well on the wing.

I just hope he can somehow find another gear in the playoffs. It's not just 2019 he was bad, he wasn't good in 2018 either, and he was invisible with Arizona against the Avs in 2020.

I think he can play 4C and have Belly on the wing. Take turns on the faceoffs. We can't count on Calvert being back unfortunately. We also can healthy scratch Belly for a few games to give his veteran legs some rest. Lots of options.

Reactions: willy702

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
I think he can play 4C and have Belly on the wing. Take turns on the faceoffs. We can't count on Calvert being back unfortunately. We also can healthy scratch Belly for a few games to give his veteran legs some rest. Lots of options.

Yeah, we definitely have plenty of bodies to shuffle around. Like you said, some older legs or worn out legs can get some rest.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Even if you are upset at the Avalanche trading up for Rolston, it just means the Avs traded #159, #211 and Dickson for Soda. A 5th and a 7th for any NHL player as a rental is cheap.

Looking back the Avalanche traded a 6th to negotiate with Carl and traded him for Kevin Connaughton and a 3rd that was subsequently packaged with a 2nd to trade for Burakovsky.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Nuke-Soda-Donk will be the 3rd line, they will do a great job at keeping up the forecheck pressure and wear down the opponents in the playoffs.

Jost can center any combination of Belly, Compher and LOB, which improves that line as well

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
So glad to have Carl coming in over O’Brien. Sounds like we may not be getting LOC back this season based on Bednar’s comments. Hopefully in the playoffs, we’ll play Kaut over LOB/Megan/Dries when top 9 injuries strike

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Even if you are upset at the Avalanche trading up for Rolston, it just means the Avs traded #159, #211 and Dickson for Soda. A 5th and a 7th for any NHL player as a rental is cheap.

Looking back the Avalanche traded a 6th to negotiate with Carl and traded him for Kevin Connaughton and a 3rd that was subsequently packaged with a 2nd to trade for Burakovsky.
I'm not disappointed by the return on Soderberg. Even if it was a 5th + 7th that's not a problem at all.

The issue is that the Avs have a habit of just wasting picks, either by picking guys who are pretty much destined for nothing the moment they are picked (eg. Josh Anderson, Saigeon, Stienburg, etc), or by doing things like moving up for Rolston. Rolston and Aman is a whole lot of nothing for the 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks which easily could have been used to swing for the fences on guys like Seeley, Pashin, Isaac Phillips, Miettinen, Novak, Samuel Johanneson, Zlodeyev, etc.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I'm not disappointed by the return on Soderberg. Even if it was a 5th + 7th that's not a problem at all.

The issue is that the Avs have a habit of just wasting picks, either by picking guys who are pretty much destined for nothing the moment they are picked (eg. Josh Anderson, Saigeon, Stienburg, etc), or by doing things like moving up for Rolston. Rolston and Aman is a whole lot of nothing for the 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks which easily could have been used to swing for the fences on guys like Seeley, Pashin, Isaac Phillips, Miettinen, Novak, Samuel Johanneson, Zlodeyev, etc.

And none of those guys will turn out to be anything either.

So relax.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Funny snippet... Bowers and Formenton were basically right next to each other on the draft board, but Batherson was a pound the table guy. They went off their board because they liked how his development was going and he had a strong believer in the room despite him being an overager.
They knocked it out of the park with Batherson. Guy was tremendous at the WJC and hes arguably been the Sens most consistent forward on that team. I know Connor Brown is on a heater but Bath has been good all season.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Ya I really hate going off the scouting central board and then turning out to be massively wrong. It's like what's your value if you do much worse than that.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Ya I really hate going off the scouting central board and then turning out to be massively wrong. It's like what's your value if you do much worse than that.
I didn't purely go off the main board last year. In doing that Avs board mock I did quite a bit of watching and researching prospects, and considered rankings from over a dozen reputable scouts. I could see what the Avs were doing with Rolston but there were just a tonne of other guys who I liked more. Fwiw I also drafted Ambrosio, though I got him in the 7th instead of the 4th. I also moved up to grab Stutzle at no.2 :)

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad