Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign Mikhail Grigorenko (1 year, $1.3M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Skating holds him back big time.

The game is fast but there is no need for everyone to be a speedster. That said, if his skating was improved he'd be a lot more versatile with his offense.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Skating holds him back big time.

I don't think it's fair to say that. His quickness may need work but his straight line skating is actually very fast. He's big and takes long strides and looks slow but he consistently beats defenders wide from that deceiving skating style. Straight line he's one of the best skaters on the team. As I said though, quickness needs work. He's not great at his stops and starts and that and important part of the game.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
He actually produced when he was in the top 6. Started the season as the 13th forward, scratched often, and made his way from bottom line centre to top-6 winger. With a full season up there, I'd say he's a 40-45 point guy next year. His defense needs a lot of work though.

I'd say his offense needs work, his defense was alway solid and wasn't the issue for most buffalo fans.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium
Would never expect physical play from him, would have loved him in buffalo as a 3C still though, I still project him to better than girgensons and larsson in the long run.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
It is very likely the Avs will be able to get Brauchemin to waive his NMC rights for the expansion draft as it is incredibly unlikely he would be taken, allowing the Avs to only protect 3 D and 2 more forwards given no significant roster change.

I don't know why certain Avs fan have this idea in-grained in their head. Beauchemin waiving would be nice for the Avs, but poses absolutely no benefit whatsoever to Beauchemin himself, and he's carrying all the risk. Saying he is very likely?.. Please, I'd say its very much unlikely he waives his NMC. I'd bet my first born on it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know why certain Avs fan have this idea in-grained in their head. Beauchemin waiving would be nice for the Avs, but poses absolutely no benefit whatsoever to Beauchemin himself, and he's carrying all the risk. Saying he is very likely?.. Please, I'd say its very much unlikely he waives his NMC. I'd bet my first born on it.

What risk is it to Beauchemin if he's assured he won't be claimed?

The benefit is that it helps his team. There's no downfall (aside from maybe having to give a 3rd) and plenty of reward.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

We COULD put it like this. "You can waive or we will have to buy you out". You can have a great chance of playing for us next season or not play for us at all and lose 2/3 of your paycheck.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We COULD put it like this. "You can waive or we will have to buy you out". You can have a great chance of playing for us next season or not play for us at all and lose 2/3 of your paycheck.

We'll see how this season goes. If Zadorov really steps up and/or Beauchemin falls off a cliff, we may use the buyout regardless.

But if he's worth keeping, I doubt they're threatening with a buyout. They'll probably just ask and offer to protect him from LV through trade. In the end, I would think 4th round pick+Colborne/Comeau would be much more enticing to LV than one year of aging Beauchemin.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We'll see how this season goes. If Zadorov really steps up and/or Beauchemin falls off a cliff, we may use the buyout regardless.

Beauchemin started running out of gas after what? 60 games last year? I think he'll still be decent #4 dman next year but unfortunately he will be playing top pairing minutes again which will hurt him tremendously.

I expect bottom pairing minutes for his last season, we'd save nothing in cap space from a buyout. We might as well keep him.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

And likely make up more than the 1/3 he lost ($1.5m) on his new deal with a new team

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Beauchemin started running out of gas after what? 60 games last year? I think he'll still be decent #4 dman next year but unfortunately he will be playing top pairing minutes again which will hurt him tremendously.

I expect bottom pairing minutes for his last season, we'd save nothing in cap space from a buyout. We might as well keep him.

If they think he's going to be bottom pairing it'd be less about salary savings and more about protecting Soderberg/Grigorenko. But hey, maybe Compher blows up and we decide we don't need to protect Soderberg.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
And likely make up more than the 1/3 he lost ($1.5m) on his new deal with a new team

Not sure that he'll worth 1.5M next summer but who knows. Age started to show during his last year with the Ducks (during the playoffs) and usually it's going pretty much downhill when it starts.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not sure that he'll worth 1.5M next summer but who knows. Age started to show during his last year with the Ducks (during the playoffs) and usually it's going pretty much downhill when it starts.

He's far better now, and likely in a year than $2m Tyutin.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX

and then go get a 2nd paycheck from someone else..how terrible for him..

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They got rid of Guenin, Redmond, Holden, Bodnarchuk, and Gormley. That's significant improvement by subtraction right there.

If Zadorov and Bigras keep up their play from the end of last year, and Tyutin isn't a complete waste of space, the Avs D should be much better than it's been in like 10 years.

Where does Zadorov slot in for you guys this season? He needs a lot of work in his own zone, so top-4 minutes aren't ideal for him. He's the type of player you slow cook on the 3rd pairing for a couple of years until he's ready for top-4 minutes, because a defenseman with defensive warts is not an ideal player to have eating up top-4 minutes. That being said, he's a rare breed, and if developed correctly he can become a nasty top-4 defenseman with some offensive touch.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I feel like a lot of Avs fans are going to be disapointed in him next year, but I hope I'm wrong. I want the kid to do well - but I just don't think he will. Gut feeling I guess.

1.3 seems fair either way.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like a lot of Avs fans are going to be disapointed in him next year, but I hope I'm wrong. I want the kid to do well - but I just don't think he will. Gut feeling I guess.

If he plays exactly as well as he did last year Avs fans will be thrilled with him and the 1.3 will be worth it. Everything more is gravy. Better play is also quite likely given his age anyway.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Where does Zadorov slot in for you guys this season? He needs a lot of work in his own zone, so top-4 minutes aren't ideal for him. He's the type of player you slow cook on the 3rd pairing for a couple of years until he's ready for top-4 minutes, because a defenseman with defensive warts is not an ideal player to have eating up top-4 minutes. That being said, he's a rare breed, and if developed correctly he can become a nasty top-4 defenseman with some offensive touch.

I'd say Zadorov will likely be on our bottom pair to start the season. My best guess is

Bigras - EJ
Beauchemin - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin
Gelinas

Beauchemin and Bigras could be swapped, but I'm guessing Bigras is on the top pairing by the end of the season.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I doubt COL is going to buyout a 35+ contract and get a 4.5m cap charge for absolutely nothing. Horrible asset management.

slobbergob

Apr 29, 2015
I doubt COL is going to buyout a 35+ contract and get a 4.5m cap charge for absolutely nothing. Horrible asset management.

Being forced to give up a young 22 year old defender in favour of one year of a 35 year old player is horrible asset management. Buying him out would be the smartest play if he wouldn't waive.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Being forced to give up a young 22 year old defender in favour of one year of a 35 year old player is horrible asset management. Buying him out would be the smartest play if he wouldn't waive.

They'd give up a forward and protect 4 Dmen first

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Why? If he plays the way he did last year and does nothing more most of us would be fine with it. Grigs makes everyone around him better. The eye test says so and so does the stats presented earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad