Value of: Cody Franson to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Just wondering if he is available and if so what would the ask from Buffalo be?

When the Oilers were desperate for NHL defensemen and Cody Franson was an unrestricted free agent, they showed no interest at all in him.

What did Franson do last season to lead you to believe that they now are not only interested, but willing to give something up to get him?

lauder73

May 9, 2011
Right shot D, didn't have a great year but I'd be willing to look at him if the ask wasn't too high. Last year of deal so it's a low risk move if nothing significant is given up.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Right shot D, didn't have a great year but I'd be willing to look at him if the ask wasn't too high. Last year of deal so it's a low risk move if nothing significant is given up.
I'd rather just invite Wisniewski and Rundblad to camp on a PTO. Thats low risk with nothing given up. Franson is really bad

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
nope, the Oilers will not "look" at him. if the Oil have to go into the season with this D as is, both Davidson and Reinhart can play effectively on their opposite sides on the right side and that's what the Oil would likely do.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He'll likely be available midway through the season or so. 3rd + 5th or something would be the ask I guess? Since he's somewhat better than Mike Weber and he went for a 3rd.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
What makes you think that Runblad is anywhere near capable of being a regular NHL defenseman? I'm genuinely curious. Not trying to be an ass.
Nothing. He can create competition in camp though. What makes the OP think that Franson is anywhere near a capable NHL defenseman anymore? The Oilers even passed on him last summer

lauder73

May 9, 2011
Nothing. He can create competition in camp though. What makes the OP think that Franson is anywhere near a capable NHL defenseman anymore? The Oilers even passed on him last summer

I'm not sure you can say the Oilers passed on him, preferred Sekera Yes. Also had Nikitin and Ference contracts on the books. Not saying Franson is a world beater, but I could see him as a 3rd line, right shot, potential to help on the PP

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I'd rather just invite Wisniewski and Rundblad to camp on a PTO. Thats low risk with nothing given up. Franson is really bad
fun fact.

Rundblad, Adam Larsson and Tim Erixon were 3 of AIK's foundation on D in their championship years. Esp in 2010/2011

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What makes you think that Runblad is anywhere near capable of being a regular NHL defenseman? I'm genuinely curious. Not trying to be an ass.

“Has poise and excellent puck-moving and passing acumen – he knows when to dish it off. Can really shoot the disc. Also boasts a good frame to grow into and has plenty of offensive upside.†– The Hockey News

When it comes to his defensive game, he continues to improve (is currently a minus-6 player), and boasts strong numbers. He has a 55.2 career Corsi for, as well as a 2.9 career relative Corsi. He also has a career 3.3 hits per 60, as well as 3.6 blocks per 60, and seems to be one of those defensemen who constantly looks after the puck. His only flaw is with turnovers and giveaways, which he needs to cut down on.

http://oilonwhyte.com/2016/07/27/edmonton-oilers-david-rundblad-could-be-strong-option/

Here a link to the story as well . His stats look pretty good .

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'm not sure you can say the Oilers passed on him, preferred Sekera Yes. Also had Nikitin and Ference contracts on the books. Not saying Franson is a world beater, but I could see him as a 3rd line, right shot, potential to help on the PP
Ummm yes I can
The Oilers had the cap space and needed a RHD for years. I would say since Franson didn't sign until September that he was definitely a "pass" from the Oilers

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ummm yes I can
The Oilers had the cap space and needed a RHD for years. I would say since Franson didn't sign until September that he was definitely a "pass" from the Oilers

Pretty logical . I would have to agree with your reasoning . Not sure how anyone can debate this .

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

A poster in the Klefbom thread said Rundblad and Klefbom are on the same level, so I think its confirmed.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Maybe Franson didn't want to sign with the Oilers?
Right, he would risk having to play in Europe, give up millions, and play with the most highly touted prospect since Crosby because he didn't want to play for the Oilers :laugh: Instead he held out until training camp to sign with a contender

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Right, he would risk having to play in Europe, give up millions, and play with the most highly touted prospect since Crosby because he didn't want to play for the Oilers :laugh: Instead he held out until training camp to sign with a contender

...and that contender was the Buffalo Sabres.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd send Fernece for him and that's about it.

(Roughly) The same caphit, but Edmonton gets a guy that can play; and Buffalo saves money as insurance and LTIR take care of Fernece.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Love to get a 2nd, but I'll be happy with a third.

This is contingent on Buffalo signing a true 7th dman and Brendan Guhle making the team. Otherwise we'll need him as a placeholder.

Last edited:

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
“Has poise and excellent puck-moving and passing acumen – he knows when to dish it off. Can really shoot the disc. Also boasts a good frame to grow into and has plenty of offensive upside.†– The Hockey News

When it comes to his defensive game, he continues to improve (is currently a minus-6 player), and boasts strong numbers. He has a 55.2 career Corsi for, as well as a 2.9 career relative Corsi. He also has a career 3.3 hits per 60, as well as 3.6 blocks per 60, and seems to be one of those defensemen who constantly looks after the puck. His only flaw is with turnovers and giveaways, which he needs to cut down on.

http://oilonwhyte.com/2016/07/27/edmonton-oilers-david-rundblad-could-be-strong-option/

Here a link to the story as well . His stats look pretty good .

So you're basing your opinion off of his stats or have you actually seen him play?:popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad