Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
Does the third round pick have to be our own? Since we don't have one the Pens are probably trying to get a little extra for having to wait. They'll argue that out 3rd this year is practically a 2nd. It's annoying. But, it's business.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Does the third round pick have to be our own? Since we don't have one the Pens are probably trying to get a little extra for having to wait. They'll argue that out 3rd this year is practically a 2nd. It's annoying. But, it's business.

I would think so. I'm also under the impression its a 3rd from any of the next three years.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
If you "fire" or "relieve" a coach of his duties, you should lose your rights to compensation draft picks. It's pretty simple.

That's not how contracts work. He's still under contract, and still their employee. Pittsburgh could just ice him and pay him if they wanted to.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Regardless of what you think of Shero's work after the Cup winning year. He is really the architect of their turn around that season. He replaced a hard nose Therrien, who had lost the room, with a players coach in Bylsma. He also went out and got Kunitz and Guerin within a couple weeks of making the coaching change. That basically created the top line the Pens needed by getting very good wingers for Crosby. Kunitz/Crosby/Guerin were #5, #2 and #3 respectively in scoring for the Pens in the playoffs that year.

You're right there. So maybe it makes more sense to say that Shero is god awful at drafting. Or the staff he hired to scout is awful.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That's not how contracts work. He's still under contract, and still their employee. Pittsburgh could just ice him and pay him if they wanted to.

True but there is validity to the idea that their compensation should simply be getting relieved of having to pay him anymore.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Bylsma was never Therrien's assistant. He was promoted from their AHL team when Therrien was fired.

Yeah, you're right. Brain fart.

Generally speaking I don't think it changes much of the point I was making, but yes, I had that wrong.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

It has to be our own but we can choose any of the next three drafts

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

But he has no responsibility or title. He does nothing but he's still on their books. Pittsburgh's compensation should be not having to pay him anymore since they fired him.

True but there is validity to the idea that their compensation should simply be getting relieved of having to pay him anymore.

This is what I was trying to get at.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
My best guess is that Murray is trying to pawn off one of the potentially lower 3rd rounders while Pittsburgh is insisting on Buffalo's 2016 3rd rounder.

Those would be too simple of a trades for TM.

He likes complex trades with lots of conditions. He's probably throwing in an extra conditional pick and wants players and rights to other players included. :sarcasm:

PS the conditions are a page long.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Could be a pride/principle thing with the draft pick. If I'm Murray I really wanna tell Pit to GTFO with crying about compensation.

However if I am Pit and it's a rule, then I owe to my fans and organization to get what I can if it's a rule.

This whole compensation thing is really weird to begin with. In particular with a coach that has been fired. Some teams get a pick, others don't? So what, you play favorites, or depending on what team gets the coach you would then go after a pick? TO me it would make sense that Pit would want a pick from Jersey being in their own division, but they didn't "seek" it out? Odd.

It just seems so vague. Is it in the CBA? Is it always a 3rd rounder sometime over the next 3 years? But, if it's a fired coach it's up to the team that fired said coach to file the paperwork or something for the pick?

It just seems like such a lazy rule not put together very well. Regardless, I would like to tell Pit to shove it, you get nothing and like it.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Has it ever happened where a head coach was hired with a compensatory pick and a player's UFA rights or prosect was also included? It would be sort of cool if we got a player or prospect included if we have to include a 3rd.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Has it ever happened where a head coach was hired with a compensatory pick and a player's UFA rights or prosect was also included? It would be sort of cool if we got a player or prospect included if we have to include a 3rd.

Considering the coaching compensation is pretty new, I doubt it.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

I would imagine it does not have to be the 3rd round pick. If Pittsburgh was willing to accept a prospect in lieu of, I am sure that would be within the rules or say a second round pick to Pittsburgh and a prospect comes back. I think it is all up to Pittsburgh

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yep. Puts Blysma in a very good light.

I'm curious what the competition was like in the games w/o the studs?
What's Bylsma's record in the regular season vs good/bad teams?

Kind of like how Hitchcock teams dominate weaker competition in the regular season, but in the same season they'll have sub 500 records vs playoff teams. Then they get to the playoffs and consistently get beat...

(im only aware of the record from recent conversation)

Anyone have a link to similar stats?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
I'm curious what the competition was like in the games w/o the studs?
What's Bylsma's record in the regular season vs good/bad teams?

Kind of like how Hitchcock teams dominate weaker competition in the regular season, but in the same season they'll have sub 500 records vs playoff teams. Then they get to the playoffs and consistently get beat...

(im only aware of the record from recent conversation)

Anyone have a link to similar stats?

We could always create a website dedicated to such stats. They exist for players, why not for coaches too... consider this my copyright effective immediately. :laugh:

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Yeah, I can see both sides of the argument I guess. I don't disagree that if Pittsburgh is doing nothing more than paying him to not do anything they don't really deserve anything more than not paying him. Then again, contract employment is such a different animal than at-will, I can see the argument that they should get something back for taking contract action they didn't 'want' to take because of a 3rd party.

I think if the pick is like 5th or down it's more fair. 3rd seems a bit high, agreed.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Bylsma has a cup win under his belt, a Jack Adams and several big regular seasons. He has coached Art Ross and Hart Winners (never had a art Ross winner here)

How Is he not being more coveted ? Not many coaches with this pedigree. He's never missed the playoffs. I'm all aboard and pumped if he is indeed our next coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad