Speculation: Coaching Search - Part III: Dan Bylsma deal "imminent"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Byslma's served as assistant for the Cincinatti Mighty Ducks for a year 04-05 (during the lockout). Wonder if Murray had any hand in hiring him?

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Pens fans mostly saying they liked the "system" but that he didn't make adjustments in big games to their liking. They also didn't like the fact that Bylsma couldn't turn Beau Bennett into a top 6 player.

At this point, I can't sort out the noise but will wait for the press conference and will look to see Tim Murray's explanation if he is the hire.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Ok, I get that.

I'm not that worried about it. The potential stars we do have are very smart players and I think can handle it fine.

I honestly don't think Murray would hire him if he saw it to be a problem.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
If you "fire" or "relieve" a coach of his duties, you should lose your rights to compensation draft picks. It's pretty simple.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So, can we create a drinking game of whatever coaches we hire press conference:

1) Press asks about Mike Babcock, take a shot
2) Press asks new coach about if how ted nolan was treated affected their decision, take a shot.
3) Battista sighting: 2 shots
4) Battista question: 3 shots
5) Battista questions ACTUALLY ACKNOWLEDGED and RESPONDED to: chug
6) Ted Black visibly sighs and/or facepalms: take a shot
7) Questions about why or why not any member of the pegula family is or isn't there: take a shot
8) Evander Kane question to new coach: take a shot
9) Tim Murray death stare following a question: two shots
10) Question about season ending press conference: kick a dead horse, take a shot
11) Mike Gilbert has to interrupt press questions to keep people on topic of new coach hire: take a shot
12) Terry, Ted, or Tim references "talking to your boss" when speaking to any TBN reporter: Take a shot
13) Any TBN reporter asks thinly veiled, two/three part questions which will obviously be used as ammo for a hilariously bad attack column the next week: 2 shots.

Pretty sure this will get everyone drunk.

The bolded are guarantees. We might be looking at alcohol poisoning.

Seeking compensation for a fired coach is such BS.

I agree, and I think the Pens will look petty if they seek compensation for a coach they fired--especially considering they didn't seek compensation for Shero--which is why I think they'll let it go.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
if the pens ask for a 3rd, just send them a copy of their draft history

"see, you'll just waste it anyways"

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
If you "fire" or "relieve" a coach of his duties, you should lose your rights to compensation draft picks. It's pretty simple.

exactly, its like breaking up with your girlfriend and asking for a pair of her panties when she gets a new boyfriend

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Meh, as long as teams are paying out the balance of their contract, they should have some control.

If a coach wants to be free to go anywhere, they should mutually terminate their contract.

For example. Team A fires a coach with 2 years left on his contract. They wouldn't want the coach going to team B and spilling which players the GM wants to GTFO.

The best example I could think of was Chiarelli being hired from Boston and essentially having the contract that Chara's agent requested from Ottawa written up and ready to sign when Chara hit UFA without ever speaking to Chara's agent as GM of the Bruins.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Meh, as long as teams are paying out the balance of their contract, they should have some control.

If a coach wants to be free to go anywhere, they should mutually terminate their contract.

For example. Team A fires a coach with 2 years left on his contract. They wouldn't want the coach going to team B and spilling which players the GM wants to GTFO.

The best example I could think of was Chiarelli being hired from Boston and essentially having the contract that Chara's agent requested from Ottawa written up and ready to sign when Chara hit UFA without ever speaking to Chara's agent as GM of the Bruins.

But Dan has been out of hockey for a year and likely would not have any details of the inner workings in Pittsburgh anymore.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My best guess is that Murray is trying to pawn off one of the potentially lower 3rd rounders while Pittsburgh is insisting on Buffalo's 2016 3rd rounder.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Shero is a horrible GM and gave Bylsma next to nothing to work with outside of their top 4 players. Nothing at all for depth.

I'm curious to see what Bylsma can do with star players AND actual depth.

The reality is that Bylsma was able to push the team over the hump right away. The years following they had some playoff success but were never able to even get back to the hump, always falling just short. Whether that's more damning on Bylsma or on the GM is a debate that won't end any time soon.

Regardless of what you think of Shero's work after the Cup winning year. He is really the architect of their turn around that season. He replaced a hard nose Therrien, who had lost the room, with a players coach in Bylsma. He also went out and got Kunitz and Guerin within a couple weeks of making the coaching change. That basically created the top line the Pens needed by getting very good wingers for Crosby. Kunitz/Crosby/Guerin were #5, #2 and #3 respectively in scoring for the Pens in the playoffs that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad