Coaching is a serious problem.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Last year, 82 points would rank you in low around 21st, I think.

I think that might be where Habs fans are expecting/hoping, but there seems to be a chasm between what Habs fans think and what the other fans perceive, who are convinced that montreal will be a bottom 5 team.

The difference is really going to be whether they can avoid those massive lulls during the course of an 82 game season where they win like 2 out of 10 games or something.
There are going to be peaks and valleys. Some nights we’ll look like world beaters and then there will be stretches where it looks like we won’t ever win again. That’s what .500 teams look like.

We’ll be consistently inconsistent. Just when it looks like we’ve turned the corner, we’ll play a good team and get smoked. Look at the Rangers game. It showed us how we fare against a mature strong team - crushed.

As I said at the start, I think our offense improves and we look terrible defensively this year. You’ll see a lot of games like last night where the game looks in hand and then we make dumb mistakes to put everything at risk.

Transitional/development year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There are going to be peaks and valleys. Some nights we’ll look like world beaters and then there will be stretches where it looks like we won’t ever win again. That’s what .500 teams look like.

We’ll be consistently inconsistent. Just when it looks like we’ve turned the corner, we’ll play a good team and get smoked. Look at the Rangers game. It showed us how we fare against a mature strong team - crushed.

As I said at the start, I think our offense improves and we look terrible defensively this year. You’ll see a lot of games like last night where the game looks in hand and then we make dumb mistakes to put everything at risk.

We saw it alot last year too where the team would hang on for dear life to a lead.

I'm interested to see how the special teams holds up. If it keeps up this way, it's going to help smooth out those valleys.

Either way, as you implied, it's a team that is not there yet, which is a surprise to nobody.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We saw it alot last year too where the team would hang on for dear life to a lead.

I'm interested to see how the special teams holds up. If it keeps up this way, it's going to help smooth out those valleys.

Either way, as you implied, it's a team that is not there yet, which is a surprise to nobody.
Hutson will help the PP a lot. CC’s shot being back helps a lot. If Dach is finally back - that helps a lot.

So yeah, I think the PP will be better this year. Maybe not 25 percent but better than it’s been.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I’m not sure coaching is a problem but reffing is. Xhekaj’s having problems but part of that is because refs are looking for excuses to get him off the ice. It’s like Gallagher who consistently gets 2 minutes for being cross checked, pure “reputation” calls when the reputation is unmerited. The refs seem to be careful calling stuff on actual dirty players, like Marchand, and a lot of it comes down to knowing the team owner is vindictive and has a long memory. If Molson wants to help the team that is something he could do. Maybe get rid of Chris Lee if he hasn’t already been let go.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

It's really shocking to me that this has to be reiterated.

Did anyone really expect anything different?

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
It depends on your definition of 'decent'. The NHL has parity, the gap between the best team and the worst team isn't so big that the worst team can't be difficult to play against (if morale is high and the players give a shit).
If that is the case and the worst teams aren't pushovers, then no team is 'easy' to play against which is generally not the case. Parity sure but the worst teams in the league are, generally speaking, still really bad.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hutson will help the PP a lot. CC’s shot being back helps a lot. If Dach is finally back - that helps a lot.

So yeah, I think the PP will be better this year. Maybe not 25 percent but better than it’s been.

I have more faith in being a mid power play team than a top end pk team. The PK is the surprise of the season to me so far.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have more faith in being a mid power play team than a top end pk team. The PK is the surprise of the season to me so far.
Jake Evans is pretty good on the PK and Suzuki’s not bad either. Montembeault has been surprisingly good. It looks like we’ve managed to snag a legit starter. I think we’ll be decent on the PK.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's really shocking to me that this has to be reiterated.

Did anyone really expect anything different?

For some, yes, they heard them say "in the mix" and it meant that we had turned the corner into being a competitive playoff level team.. rather than the intention, which is to say, with weeks leading up to the deadline it wouldn't be 100% apparent they would have to sell.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If that is the case and the worst teams aren't pushovers, then no team is 'easy' to play against which is generally not the case. Parity sure but the worst teams in the league are, generally speaking, still really bad.
Then it isn't parity when your San Jose's and Anaheim's are AHL level.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
So back to back wins = coaching fixed = thread closed?
Still saw the same shit both nights in the D-Zone, just less often than other games. There was a moment against the Blues where shift after shift Habs were in their zone for a while, then they managed to get out and since they were tired, had to dump the puck for a line change, then St-Louis would get again in the zone, rinse and repeat. But let's hope they can learn.

But, to my great surprise I'm kind of happy with the way Maillloux is playing, not perfect but better than in TC I think. And Dach-CC-Suzuki is working well. Disapointed with X, but maybe he is one who doesn't "get" MSL's weird system. But if I was MSL I would be more annoyed at Matheson than X.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Trenbohabs

Sep 25, 2024
Still saw the same shit both nights in the D-Zone, just less often than other games. There was a moment against the Blues where shift after shift Habs were in their zone for a while, then they managed to get out and since they were tired, had to dump the puck for a line change, then St-Louis would get again in the zone, rinse and repeat. But let's hope they can learn.

But, to my great surprise I'm kind of happy with the way Maillloux is playing, not perfect but better than in TC I think. And Dach-CC-Suzuki is working well. Disapointed with X, but maybe he is one who doesn't "get" MSL's weird system. But if I was MSL I would be more annoyed at Matheson than X.
I cant understand why people criticize the coaching staff for the teams mediocre performances. We have 3 top 6 forwards in the line up, no top 4 D man (Matheson isnt a top 4 D on the left side on most teams, hes a 30 pts d man with horrible IQ and puck decisions every game), no goalie, horrible contracts, come on give MSL the time to prove something once the useless vets like dvorak gallagher anderson savard are gone and replaced with talented vets that bring skills and competition rather than just dive and block shots

Reactions: SwiftyHab

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Pacing for 82 points. Right around where I think most people had us. I think we finish with a little more. The schedule has more to do with it than anything. A team like the Rangers is going to crush us. But Philly? St Louis? We can beat those clubs.

Also, just great to see Dach coming back.
I vote to leave him with Suzuki and Caufield when Slaf comes back. Have Slaf play with Newhook and see how it goes. We have Slaf for 8 more years and it wouldn't hurt Dach to learn a thing or two from our best center.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’m not sure coaching is a problem but reffing is. Xhekaj’s having problems but part of that is because refs are looking for excuses to get him off the ice. It’s like Gallagher who consistently gets 2 minutes for being cross checked, pure “reputation” calls when the reputation is unmerited. The refs seem to be careful calling stuff on actual dirty players, like Marchand, and a lot of it comes down to knowing the team owner is vindictive and has a long memory. If Molson wants to help the team that is something he could do. Maybe get rid of Chris Lee if he hasn’t already been let go.
Shea Weber would get away with plenty of “dirty stuff” (forearms to the ribs) during board battles and was rarely ever called. Just as Sidney Crosby had a target on his back from the refs early in his career because he was deemed a whiner/complainer that all disappeared over time as he built a solid reputation w the refs

Scotty would never show the refs up during the game, but would rip them to shreds during TV timeouts when the cameras could not show it, Gainey did the same during his head coaching stints..

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So back to back wins = coaching fixed = thread closed?

I'm still shocked it was open in the first place.

People suddenly acted like we're supposed to be a top teams while still having injury on some of out top players (Laine, Slafkovsky, Guhle) and while no one placed them in the PO to begin with.

Didn't even let the coach one or two practices to fix some aspect due to schedule before panicking

This is where we are this morning despites all of that.
1730127226873.png

All are wins are RW, which is more than Toronto and Boston
Habs are 8th in the NHL for our PP
Habs are 3rd in the NHL on the PK

Are the Habs perfect, of course not
Are they going to make the PO....most likely not

But considering all the factors (injuries, scheduling, other teams, expectations)........the serious problem is the panic amongst Habs fanbase.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I cant understand why people criticize the coaching staff for the teams mediocre performances. We have 3 top 6 forwards in the line up, no top 4 D man (Matheson isnt a top 4 D on the left side on most teams, hes a 30 pts d man with horrible IQ and puck decisions every game), no goalie, horrible contracts, come on give MSL the time to prove something once the useless vets like dvorak gallagher anderson savard are gone and replaced with talented vets that bring skills and competition rather than just dive and block shots

Did Matheson kill puppies in another life?

Matheson is playing like a top pairing D since he got here. He is close to a point a game, kills penalties, plays against the toughest match up, logs 25 minutes - yet if you listen to some of the posters, he's a scrub.

I don't get it...

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

Matheson is playing like a top pairing D since he got here. He is close to a point a game, kills penalties, plays against the toughest match up, logs 25 minutes - yet if you listen to some of the posters, he's a scrub.

I don't get it...
Do you watch the games instead of looking at stats?

It's one thing to give excuses for mistakes by our young D corps because of inexperience, but Matheson is loosing the puck all the time in his zone, does bonehead plays like that stupid icing the puck yesterday with one minute to go that put the Habs in a hell of a trouble. The guy is a vet ffs. But hey, let's shred Xhekaj instead.

People suddenly acted like we're supposed to be a top teams while still having injury on some of out top players (Laine, Slafkovsky, Guhle) and while no one placed them in the PO to begin with.

Didn't even let the coach one or two practices to fix some aspect due to schedule before panicking

View attachment 922782

But considering all the factors (injuries, scheduling, other teams, expectations)........the serious problem is the panic amongst Habs fanbase.
I won't even repeat my arguments, because I'm tired. All is fine in Habs land, we won two games woot woot.

Let's enjoy putrid D-zone play, that's good as learning experience for them. I'm sure our kids' confidence grow very tall in that system.

Reactions: lombrek

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
For some, yes, they heard them say "in the mix" and it meant that we had turned the corner into being a competitive playoff level team.. rather than the intention, which is to say, with weeks leading up to the deadline it wouldn't be 100% apparent they would have to sell.
People have short term memory though...

The general consensus in the discussions here this summer was that the team would definitely be battling for a PO spot. Then everyone got blown away with the trade for Laine! Suddenly Montreal had a top 6 with the return of Dach and the progression of Joshua Roy (forgetting that they lost Monahan...).

Even suggesting that Montreal would pick top 10 again next Spring and that they should consider trading Savard, Armia or Evans at the deadline would get you ridiculed..

Funny how things can change quickly!

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

I don't get it...
Classic Habs fandom overreaction…” I expect a $4M player to perform like a $10M player “ - without ever asking why the player is signed to $4M to begin with and why he’s miscast in the lineup because of necessity / lack of alternatives …

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Classic Habs fandom overreaction…” I expect a $4M player to perform like a $10M player “ - without ever asking why the player is signed to $4M to begin with and why he’s miscast in the lineup because of necessity / lack of alternatives …
When Matheson is on the ice I am completely at ease. I don't get the dislike for this player.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
When Matheson is on the ice I am completely at ease. I don't get the dislike for this player.
Because Matheson is really a very good 2nd pair Dman whose miscast as the #1D - unless he performs like Hedman or Makar he’s viewed as sucking

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

View attachment 922782

This whole thread is embarrassing. Should be closed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad