Coaching is a serious problem.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
You think with a different coach, he's gonna keep everything as is, including the same mindset/values, and giving lots of playing time to young guys?

Be careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Don't hire own who won't play the kids. Simple.

Grass is not too green in Habs land.

The way the forwards have been playing so far, I don't think any systems would work right now.
Defense is a team game, their whole side of center ice is a complete gongshow.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
From what I gather on the getting an experienced assistant, listening to guys like Arpon Basu, any assistant coach brought in needs to have a “hockey mind like Marty”. To me that screams his ego is too big to have someone with actual nhl head coaching experience come in and help him.
If he can’t find a single experienced assistant that can function in his system, yes then I absolutely think we have a problem.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Don't hire own who won't play the kids. Simple.

Grass is not too green in Habs land.

Defense is a team game, their whole side of center ice is a complete gongshow.
Just noticed you started 2008. That means you remember a time when we were counting on good coaching and Sergei Zholtok to power us through the playoffs. One positive thing right now is we can see there’s real structural personnel problems.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I think MSL deserves more time.

You do admit he has a lot of good qualities and is great for our youngins.. right?
Qualities - yes, can be an excellent mentor for the forwards. Skill development for sure, etc.

Head coach material, nope.

X's and O's he is out of his league and right now who on the staff can guide the D to mature as NHL Defensemen, no one.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think people expected too much after we signed Laine.

We were the 5th worst team last year, and that's with Monty stealing quite a few games for us.
It’s how we play not how we rank. The season is young but it’s not been encouraging to see them play without any semblance of seriousness. They’d lose a playoff series in 3 games playing like this.
We're still cooking, we're still raw.
MSL is a bad cook if he can’t impose a system suitable to professional hockey.

It isn’t Atom AA in southern Connecticut, they need to play serious hockey because that’s their job.
MSL has been doing good with the young guys and all we hear is positivity from the players themselves in regards to MSL.
And players hated Scotty Bowman 364 days a year.

They’re young but they’re also professional athletes — their positivity and cheeriness is a bonus not the main objective. Objective is to win or play winning hockey. Coming up short is fine but there is only one way they should play: detail oriented, serious, in pursuit of winning or being damn hard to beat.

Winning hockey looks a lot better than any other kind of hockey.
I know the honeymoon has ended but, replace Robidas and others before even considering touching MSL, IMO.
Not calling for MSL’s head — not at all. Calling for his reflection and improvement. If he can’t improve, only then he should be let go. That’s much later.

He’s just gotta do a better job.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
If he can’t find a single experienced assistant that can function in his system, yes then I absolutely think we have a problem.
So obvious each night.

I can't recall any team being so overwhelmed in their own end. Just cycled to death, its so laughable when teams start to cycle because its a matter of how many minutes will it last.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So obvious each night.

I can't recall any team being so overwhelmed in their own end. Just cycled to death, its so laughable when teams start to cycle because its a matter of how many minutes will it last.
Are you seriously criticizing the Concepts? For shame!

How come Kovasevic eats 20 minutes per game on a better team?

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
So if MSL is to go, who do you replace him with?

Who is better, available, and willing to come here, as well as being someone who speaks French and satisfies the French media??? List a few.

If there is no one who satisfies the criteria, then MSL is the best they can get and he stays.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It’s how we play not how we rank. The season is young but it’s not been encouraging to see them play without any semblance of seriousness. They’d lose a playoff series in 3 games playing like this.

MSL is a bad cook if he can’t impose a system suitable to professional hockey.

It isn’t Atom AA in southern Connecticut, they need to play serious hockey because that’s their job.

And players hated Scotty Bowman 364 days a year.

They’re young but they’re also professional athletes — their positivity and cheeriness is a bonus not the main objective. Objective is to win or play winning hockey. Coming up short is fine but there is only one way they should play: detail oriented, serious, in pursuit of winning or being damn hard to beat.

Winning hockey looks a lot better than any other kind of hockey.

Not calling for MSL’s head — not at all. Calling for his reflection and improvement. If he can’t improve, only then he should be let go. That’s much later.

He’s just gotta do a better job.

That's totally fair.

I'm sure even he would agree with that.

Who is better, available, and willing to come here, as well as being someone who speaks French and satisfies the French media??? List a few.

If there is no one who satisfies the criteria, then MSL is the best they can get and he stays.

Michel Therrien

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ohh WTF...it just hit me.

One of the rules you never, ever...and i mean EVER violate as a manager is complaining publically about an employee. It's one of those rules right besides ass grabbing and physical abuse that you just don't violate as a manager.

Its demeaning and demoralizing. No matter who it is and no matter what level. And guess what, Marty just did it to Arber.

Right now, Marty graduated to BargainBin level of stupid, incompetent management.

Where the hell is Hughes? Did he see this and was ok with it? Did Mol$on?

What a clown show...

Reactions: Pomee

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia

I really don’t want to get into this hornets nest but this continues to be a big issue with this franchise

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
He can't do that if there is no one to pass to because everyone has collapsed within 10-15 feet of him.

In one play, I wondered why the hell would he ring it around the board instead of coming out from behind the net. Really annoyed at his stupid decision. Then a deeper dive....he had opposing players in front of him and NOBODY on the boards to pass to. We lost possession. So what should he do? Best bet was to bounce it off the glass but that is a TERRIBLE play from behind the net.

Can't skate out with it, can't pass it to anyone, has no option...we lose possession. It's Arber's fault....
Funny that I've seen you blame some of our other defensemans for the same type of play. Arber is a bad skater with terrible hands and mediocre IQ. Call it as it is. He makes Barron look like Paul Coffey.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

One right in their own backyard - Vincent.

Carbo, Groulx, Ian Lapierre, Julien,

Pomee

Nov 26, 2006
I really though that Martin was the right person for this young team. Today's press conference has changed that.

Wth Marty! Throwing Arber under the bus and make it look like he was the main problem of the team, when he wasnt even playing, when our D was the worst, was plain stupid, arrogant, alibistic, coward and unfair.

So you are saying you dont listen to critics Marty, right? Maybe thats the reason why your pet players are Anderson, Dvorak and Matheson. FFS!
I was really hoping that Marty woudnt be an another self-absorbed, cocky, "know it all" coach.
I am starting to think, I was wrong. :mad:

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I really though that Martin was a right person for this young team. Today's press conference changed that.

Wth Marty! Throwing Arber under the bus and make it look like he was the main problem of the team, when he even wasnt playing when our D was the worst, was plain stupid, alibistic, coward and unfair.

So you saying you dont listen to critics Marty, right? Maybe thats the reason why your pet players are Anderson, Dvorak and Matheson. FFS!
I was really hoping that Marty woudnt be an another self-absorbed, cocky, "know it all" coach.
I am starting to think, I was wrong. :mad:
Coaches are simply coaches and are nothing we should put too high on pedestals. We had 3 great coaches, Dick Irvin Sr, Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman.
MSL has proven nothing and until he does he doesn't deserve special treatment.
I was hoping for more from him today but one thing is clear...he won't survive the scrutiny if he doesn't start proving he is an actual NHL level coach.

Reactions: Pomee

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Here's a John Tortorella quote from a number of years ago
"I have really cut back on how much information I give to my team because I want to bring the instinctive part back to it," he said. "I've gone full circle – from being at it every day with the tape and telling them 'this is where you need to be in this situation or that situation.' By the time they get on the ice, their instincts are gone."

The Xs and Os of coaching just isn't as big a part of coaching as they used to be.

Reactions: ryan callahan

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Here's a John Tortorella quote from a number of years ago
"I have really cut back on how much information I give to my team because I want to bring the instinctive part back to it," he said. "I've gone full circle – from being at it every day with the tape and telling them 'this is where you need to be in this situation or that situation.' By the time they get on the ice, their instincts are gone."

The Xs and Os of coaching just isn't as big a part of coaching as they used to be.
Exactly. These players have been trained for 15+ years to be nearly perfect hockey players. Fefans thinking that a coach needs to tell his own players where to be is laughable. The team is just bad at skating, at shooting, at hands, at defense by NHL standards and are all a bunch of cowards to boot and MSL gets the blame for it.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Exactly. These players have been trained for 15+ years to be nearly perfect hockey players. Fefans thinking that a coach needs to tell his own players where to be is laughable. The team is just bad at skating, at shooting, at hands, at defense by NHL standards and are all a bunch of cowards to boot and MSL gets the blame for it.
If coaches can’t make anyone or team better, then there is no need for them.

Pure non-sense.

• Haha
Reactions: ryan callahan

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Then why have any coaches at all?

Pure non-sense.
To take the heat off of the players and handle the media part of the game for the players. That's it. That is 90% of being a headcoach in the modern game. Sorry to break your bubble. This group doesn't deserve anyone to back them. Our leaders have been awful and aren't caring right now.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
To take the heat off of the players and handle the media part of the game for the players. That's it. That is 90% of being a headcoach in the modern game. Sorry to break your bubble. This group doesn't deserve anyone to back them. Our leaders have been awful and aren't caring right now.
Even more nonsense.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So the coaches bear no responsibility for the team's play?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad