Coaching is a serious problem.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
huh? Slaf parked in front of the goalie face on every PP he was on where the Habs managed to acquire the ozone.
At times, then he'd wonder off and there'd be a 5 foot barrier where no hab was in there.

If you're going to battle, that's fine, but someone should be making a veeline straight for the front

All the Habs need to do now is have 2 players below the goal line on the PP to make it the envy of anyone who wants to run a terrible PP.

When your PP f***ing sucks, you do the basics. Pucks to the net, screen and get a dirty goal. Habs don't like to that. They do it and then go back to trying to be fancy.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Anyone else feeling like this

1729685750154.gif

Reactions: Tuggy

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
It’s because of Josh Anderson's cap hit that our entire team isn't hard to play against. Gotcha.
Instead of 5.5M for him, 3 players at 2M each in the lineup might help make the team harder to play against and show the others how to be. The right veterans rather than ones there by default make a huge difference. Counting down till contracts expire is not a winning formula and sets a poor example for the young players.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
After getting blown out 7-2, getting outshot and dominated in all our games, all we need is Kirby Dach?
These kinds of posts are so dumb.

When you wrote this, did you really think: ‘Gee Lafleurs Guy really thinks if we fix Dach, it fixes everything. It’ll be like a wand’?

The point I was making was that Kirby Dach is killing us. That’s not a coaching issue. It doesn’t mean we don’t have other issues or that if Dach were playing well it’d all be great. This should’ve been obvious but…

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The honeymoon is definitely starting to be over
The reality is that coaches are hired to be fired. And almost all coaches who begin a rebuild don’t get to finish it. It doesn’t matter if they’re at fault or not, it’s just that sometimes it’s a change of scenery.

Putrid start to the year. He may not survive, we’ll see. But I hope he does because our prospects are progressing and if you bring in a new guy, we don’t know what happens on that front.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Yesterday was a good thing. I’m glad the Rangers wiped the floor with them. It exposed their flaws and showed everyone the reality of the situation. Amateur hour coaching, shitty depth, no skill past 1st line, soft as butter, and a very thin D core.

Coach Bombay better make some adjustments cause Saturday isn’t going to be easy.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
MSL is a terrible coach. At best he would be a good assistant, to talk with players and be there friend. As far as HC, he just sucks. No structure, no identity, no nothing.

Look at Tortorella in philly. I ain’t a fan of his antics, but the guy knows he wont be there for the long run, but he stills build a identity, a structure of play and a culture that will follow that team once he’ll be out.

MSL is a big zero.

Reactions: Habano

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
The reality is that coaches are hired to be fired. And almost all coaches who begin a rebuild don’t get to finish it. It doesn’t matter if they’re at fault or not, it’s just that sometimes it’s a change of scenery.

Putrid start to the year. He may not survive, we’ll see. But I hope he does because our prospects are progressing and if you bring in a new guy, we don’t know what happens on that front.

Honest question. Which prospect is progressing in our NHL club right now? And why the so called progression would be attributable to MSL and not just to normal maturing that comes with experience ?

I'm not a MSL hater and I don't want him fired just yet because, let's be honest, the team ain't good. But our play in our zone has to improve. It's not NHL level right now.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
definitely and honestly, on top of it, they painted themselves into a corner by hammering the mix thing so it makes the matter 10x worse

Hey, they haven't said the P word. The mix was refering to the teams competing for the 1st overall pick.

Reactions: morhilane

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Like what Max Lapierre said last night. A rebuild doesn’t mean you just sit and wait for draft picks to develop. Its time to add.

How many times do the “it’s a rebuild” group want this team to finish bottom 5? 4/5/6/7 before we see real improvements.

You can be in a rebuild and not look like a pee wee team in your own end.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'm not calling for the coaching staff to be fired, but I definitely don't like what I see either. A lot of the stuff we're struggling with is fundamental, coachable stuff. Systems, zone exits, giveaways, discipline. All stuff that can be corrected by coaching in some capacity. We're worse than ever at it with a lot of the same group we had last year.

If there's ever a time to call a timeout and blast the hell out of your team, it's when they go down 4 nothing in the first 10 minutes of a game. But nothing. He used a TV timeout, but what are we saving our timeout for if not that?

Kirby Dach is not ready for big responsibilities, especially on PP1 where he legit kills anything that hits his stick. I am a dummy who watches games on my couch and I can see it. Someone who gets paid millions of dollars and is around the team 24/7 should also be able to see it.

Reactions: Paddyjack

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
at the same time, what do you expect? There were two decent players on offence with Caufield and Suzuki. That's it. Dach needs more time and Newhook is a third liner. After? Nothing.

On defense, we have injuries. Our best defenseman wasn't playing and Matheson is beaten up. Hutson and Mailloux are two rookies with less than 10 games played in their career while Struble and Barron are still trying to find their place as a #6 defenseman.

I'm on the side that MSL needs an experienced coach with him on the bench but, even with the best coach in the league, there is absolutely nothing to do with such a crappy line-up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They need to rip it down at the back and start over.
We have one of the worst D's in the league and I bet you we spend the most timeof any on our weak side.
There is NO STABILITY AT ALL. Stop trying to play 3D chess with checker level Dmen.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I take the comment that the habs management wants to be "in the mix" this year to mean that we probably wont make the playoffs, but we will be in the picture longer than the last few years.

I get the sense that MSL is coaching players as if they were himself. He was creative and had a great hockey sense which let him read plays well. It would make sense that he would prefer a style of play that is less restrictive so that it allows for creativity. "Ta game dans la game" to me is MSL telling his players "here is what i need to accomplish; I dont care how you do it, but get it done" .

This is great if your team is made up of MSL, but it's majorly flawed if you have folks whose strengths aren't hockey sense and speed. Josh Anderson seems to need the X and O board to be told exactly where to be. Xhekaj would be a lot more effective in a Zone defense.

I personally dont get the 1 vs 1 defense at this level. The beauty of a Zone D is that everyone knows what to expect from teammates.

I like MSL and i think he will have to have more structure for the team to progress. Ask yourself this, though - what would either side of the argument (for or against MSL) be saying if it was Ducharme still in place and doing the same thing?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Because it’s the first three years of a rebuild.? Why is this some mystery that you think needs solving. Look at the roster we’ve had ovet the last three years and factor in the injuries… no coach is going to lead those clubs to the playoffs.

Dont scream for a rebuild and then complain when it arrives. This is what it looks like.
In fairness to me, i never screamed for rebuild. I am a firm believe that you can improve and make a contending team by diligently adding the right piece through combination or trades, free agency and draft and you don't need to put your fanbase through 5-10 years of misery after they've already endured 10 years of misery.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Let's get a new coach and pick 9th overall instead !!!! can't wait , rebuild is over no??
I think what pretty much everyone is saying is that rebuilding is not simply adding new players from the draft, you have to educate them correctly for NHL level. And right now, it looks like that kindergarten class before Arnold decided to use the whistle and the ferret.

Is MSL the guy to teach them kids? I doubted it last year and I still do.

Reactions: Habano

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Like what Max Lapierre said last night. A rebuild doesn’t mean you just sit and wait for draft picks to develop. Its time to add.

How many times do the “it’s a rebuild” group want this team to finish bottom 5? 4/5/6/7 before we see real improvements.

I think it's easier to do that under normal circumstances, generally you'll have a couple of clear cut prospects who show up and look like future NHLers and you start weeding out the rest, but with our cursed injury track record we can't evaluate anyone properly

if we stay on track next year should be the big cleanup and I think this is gonna cause issues on this board, this fanbase has a strong tendency to gaslight themselves into believing every prospect is a future NHLer when in reality, most of them just f***ing suck and always will, that's just how the numbers go

zx81

Aug 2, 2005

The reality is that you need luck to successfully rebuild your team from scratch. You basically need to draft a generational talent to get out of the "infinite rebuild loop". Slaf ain't that guy. Reinbacher ain't that guy either. Demidov? We'll see.

We have to understand that even the best teams get to also draft in the 1st round. So unless you draft a generational talent you are always a few steps behind the other already competitive teams.

A rebuild is like relegation. It's really tough to get out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad