Coachella Firebirds: News and Discussion

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Anyone watching the game, what was with the diving/embellishing call on Melanson in the 3rd? Legit call? Not a great time for Melanson to get called for that one…

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Driedger was not sharp. He should have got goal #2, and maybe even #3.
Saw that he was like 17 for 20? Didnt look great, but I didnt watch so I wasnt sure. Feels like tough sledding having to win both games 6 and 7 on the road. Kinda feels like they choked this one away.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
It was brutal losing those last two at home. Their success in their wins was heavy forecheck and winning faceoffs. The didn't win a faceoff when it counted in either of the last couple of games.

Their power play killed any momentum they were building. Hersey pressured the points hard and the firebirds couldn't get the puck into the zone to establish much zone time. (The double drop pass through the neutral zone was finally abandoned halfway through game 5.)

Drieger wasn't sharp as most noted. In game 4 he gave up a bad angle goal that went between his legs when in the RVH, a lack of focus thing, in my opinion.

Overall a bummer to see Dan's last game here finish like that. I hope Stu Bickel stays down here as HC. He seems to be a lot like Dan and it would be nice to keep some continuity.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Hell of a run. Shocked that it ended the way it did, with 3 straight losses two of which were at home.

Will be interesting to see how they shape the team in the offseason with Wright and Bylsma coming to Seattle, Poturalski, McCormick, Hayden, Hughes, Driedger and Lind all on expiring contracts. Could be their last playoff run for a bit?

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Hell of a run. Shocked that it ended the way it did, with 3 straight losses two of which were at home.

Will be interesting to see how they shape the team in the offseason with Wright and Bylsma coming to Seattle, Poturalski, McCormick, Hayden, Hughes, Driedger and Lind all on expiring contracts. Could be their last playoff run for a bit?
I wouldn't be surprised if they re-sign McCormick, I'm sure they would like to keep a little bit of continuity in the line up for the newer hockey fans sake. I doubt they will keep much else in the high price AHL free agents. The Kraken are starting to funnel some of their own draft picks through the ranks and there will need to be room for them.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wouldn't be surprised if they re-sign McCormick, I'm sure they would like to keep a little bit of continuity in the line up for the newer hockey fans sake. I doubt they will keep much else in the high price AHL free agents. The Kraken are starting to funnel some of their own draft picks through the ranks and there will need to be room for them.
Yep. Exactly. I expect a few of our prospects there this new season.

Forwards
---------

Roed (Was signed as a UFA late this season)
Morrison
Nyman (Came on board after his season ended in Finland)
Winterton (unless he starts with the Kraken)
Firkus (N)
Goyette (N)
Melanson

Defense
--------

Nelson (N)
Ottavainen

Will need to re-sign folks on defense, but a lot more options at forward. That being said, next season is likely to be a step backwards for Coachella, unless our prospects produce right away.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Yep. Exactly. I expect a few of our prospects there this new season.

Forwards
---------

Roed (Was signed as a UFA late this season)
Morrison
Nyman (Came on board after his season ended in Finland)
Winterton (unless he starts with the Kraken)
Firkus (N)
Goyette (N)
Melanson

Defense
--------

Nelson (N)
Ottavainen

Will need to re-sign folks on defense, but a lot more options at forward. That being said, next season is likely to be a step backwards for Coachella, unless our prospects produce right away.
Yeah, I suspect there will be some growing pains as they transition to a younger group. It felt like they went to some pain to create a winning culture down there with Bylsma and AHL bedrock players like McCormick and Poturalski. Hopefully they don’t dismantle that in one fell swoop, letting all those player pieces walk AND pulling Bylsma up to Seattle. Maybe another reason they might tab Bickel to take over there?

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad