Coachella Firebirds: News and Discussion

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Think I'll pay the $8 for AHLtv so I can actually watch tomorrow. From the highlights I've seen, big John Hayden has been on a tear in the post season; had two yesterday including one that he stole in his own end and took to the other coast.

Winterton had a pair too, nice work kid!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hayden with nine goals in 13 playoff games; but has been used mostly in a lower line, checking role during his NHL career.

Is that simply because his offensive skills don't translate to the NHL or has he been miscast by various coaching staffs due to his size?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Hayden with nine goals in 13 playoff games; but has been used mostly in a lower line, checking role during his NHL career.

Is that simply because his offensive skills don't translate to the NHL or has he been miscast by various coaching staffs due to his size?
He's always been willing to go to the front of the net, even in the NHL. Kid is 6'3" and over 220 pounds, At his size, it is probably a fair amount easier for him to score in the AHL than in the NHL.

In the NHL, his effort and compete, both with Buffalo and in his few games with Seattle, was very solid, but he just didn't have the high end skill required to stick.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
He's always been willing to go to the front of the net, even in the NHL. Kid is 6'3" and over 220 pounds, At his size, it is probably a fair amount easier for him to score in the AHL than in the NHL.

In the NHL, his effort and compete, both with Buffalo and in his few games with Seattle, was very solid, but he just didn't have the high end skill required to stick.
Absolutely true. There are a lot of guys like Hayden who "star" in the AHL but are marginal NHLers at best. Hayden stayed in the league a while because of his grit and willingness to drop the gloves, hit people, etc. but he's not fast enough or skilled enough for the NHL. At least not in a regular capacity.

Can probably still give you some 4th line minutes if you're in injury trouble, but otherwise, he's an AHLer all the way. But good on him. His effort level has never been lacking and success on this cup run is deserved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad