Prospect Info: Cliff Pu (2016, 69th) – '18-19: Traded to Carolina

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
You sure about that? I've always thought it was two years, and everything I'm finding says that 2016 draftees have to sign before the 2018 draft. We drafted Giorgio Estephan in the 2015 draft and because we didn't sign him he went back into the 2017 draft. He was then undrafted, and now is an invite to Wild rookie camp.

Hmm...good point. I always thought it was three years but maybe that changed with the latest CBA. Your Estephan evidence seems to indicate it's two years, sorry about that.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Hmm...good point. I always thought it was three years but maybe that changed with the latest CBA. Your Estephan evidence seems to indicate it's two years, sorry about that.

It was 2 years under the previous CBA as well. His draft rights are held through June 1, 2018.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Are you asking who will draft him if his rights go back into the draft because he didn't sign? Or exposing that you don't know what happens if he isn't signed and saying he will sign somewhere else?

Lot of people who always have a lot to say about everything showing they maybe shouldn't in this thread.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Are you asking who will draft him if his rights go back into the draft because he didn't sign? Or exposing that you don't know what happens if he isn't signed and saying he will sign somewhere else?

Lot of people who always have a lot to say about everything showing they maybe shouldn't in this thread.
Thank you for proving what we knew all along by not understanding clear sarcasm.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
How is signing a piece of paper going to stunt his growth?

Oh...he thinks that signing it means he can't got back to juniors...which is wrong. It has no bearing on anything.

Waiting for him to finish camp instead of signing him prior to camp has implications for what his agent will push and demand as far as his rate of progress towards entering the league. Waiting for him to finish camp first sets this precedence.

Ace said:

No, I think some people are being petulant *****.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Per housley, he's getting another game this weekend after having a 'fantastic camp'

Looks like he's really turning some heads.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Per housley, he's getting another game this weekend after having a 'fantastic camp'

Looks like he's really turning some heads.

Still think he goes back but maybe not? Either way, this is great! And no matter what happens, this will really give him confidence to tear up the OHL.

Hopefully he gets that entry level contract too.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Still think he goes back but maybe not? Either way, this is great! And no matter what happens, this will really give him confidence to tear up the OHL.

Hopefully he gets that entry level contract too.

There's almost zero question he's going back, but I'm happy he's having a great and noticeable camp...puts a lot of the questions about his determination to rest following the OHL playoffs.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
If he gets offered a contract does he have to report to the ahl or nhl? If not does he still get paid or does he have to wait to be in a pro league?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If he gets offered a contract does he have to report to the ahl or nhl? If not does he still get paid or does he have to wait to be in a pro league?

If he signs his Entry Level Contract, he has to play in the NHL or he has to go back to the London Knights.

If he is in the NHL, he gets paid his NHL salary per his ELC.

If he gets sent back to the OHL, he doesn't get paid his salary under his ELC.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

100% agree with this move. Gives another season to clear the current roster is some additional dead weight to open a few more slots for the young guns to come and allows Pu to further hone his skill sets against comparable age competition

I like this approach of not rushing the talent

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I like what I’ve seen from him. Fast and has the skills to compliment a star player. Give him a contract.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Should set him up nicely heading to London. Hopefully he hits the ground running.

Hopefully. At the moment he really doesn't have much to play with because everyone is still at NHL camp (Bratt, Jones, Miletic, Thomas)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - September 23 -
Cliff Pu is in the London lineup tonight vs Saginaw.

@SabresProspects - September 23 -
Cliff Pu draws the assist on the first London goal. Knights lead Spirit 1-0.
Cliff Pu gets his second assist of the night on the OT winner by 2018 draft prospect Evan Bouchard. London defeats Saginaw 3-2.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Only four points in 8 games and the team on a huge losing skid. Seems like Pu is doing himself no favors for the Nats in December.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Only four points in 8 games and the team on a huge losing skid. Seems like Pu is doing himself no favors for the Nats in December.

Him, Jones, Thomas and Miletic were expected to carry the load on a very young Knights team. Suffice to say they haven't stepped up.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Through 9 games:

Pu, CliffLDN9134-13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He's never stood out to me in any games I've seen him play in. Talent, but seems to lack the "compete" players should have...

Hope I've just missed him playing great in all the other games I've missed..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad