Confirmed with Link: Claude Julien to return as Bruins coach for 2015-16 season

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Also, a quick look notes that 6 of the last 15 games went into overtime 4 of those went to the the shootout... I would not find a correlation to that ice time there would I?
A guy like Campbell has no business on the ice during a 5 minute 4on4 overtime.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thought Sweeney made excellent points on one on one in Buffalo on NESN hightlights today.

Bruce Cassidy possible next coach according to Fluto & Haggs? Hmmmm. I'm not sure he's in the organization next month

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He played overs 15 minutes 5 times in his last 15 games.

So I guess that means he played well under 12 minutes a night most of the season.

Anyway, I'm really glad you pointed this out. Checking the games Campbell played over 15 minutes I discovered the Bruins were 4-1 in those games.

That should end the bull crap "fire Claude because he played Campbell too much and it cost them games" argument.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When Claude started coaching there was routinely multiple fights per playoff game. Ten to 15 years ago the game was about defensive schemes and today it's changing into a speed and skill games with fighting an exception and rules to legislate defensive schemes.

Julien knows this and between that and the fading away of his players and time from June 2011 he knows it's a new game- younger, faster, more skilled less physicality. He wants to coach he must adapt. I for one think the roster is very capable of adjusting.

They got 96 points not 69

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
A guy like Campbell has no business on the ice during a 5 minute 4on4 overtime.

So I guess that means he played well under 12 minutes a night most of the season.

Anyway, I'm really glad you pointed this out. Checking the games Campbell played over 15 minutes I discovered the Bruins were 4-1 in those games.

That should end the bull crap "fire Claude because he played Campbell too much and it cost them games" argument.

Seriously this.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Hey, during those last 15 games who was the only man to score a goal as an extra attacker?

Not Greg Campbell. Last time he scored a goal for the season was in a 6-2 win on February 22nd, and that gave him one goal in his last 17 games of the season, and one total goal in the last 28 games he'd played overall. Hardly a guy you want on the ice in the last few minutes of a game where you need to score. And yet he never got benched until the very end of the year. Same thing goes with Smith who was a black hole, Paille, and a slew of others that should have seen a couple of nights off well before the end of the year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3274/gamelog/

Facts kind of hurt your post in this case...:naughty:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
When Claude started coaching there was routinely multiple fights per playoff game. Ten to 15 years ago the game was about defensive schemes and today it's changing into a speed and skill games with fighting an exception and rules to legislate defensive schemes.

Julien knows this and between that and the fading away of his players and time from June 2011 he knows it's a new game- younger, faster, more skilled less physicality. He wants to coach he must adapt. I for one think the roster is very capable of adjusting.

They got 96 points not 69

Agree that the game is changing.

But its still a defense first game. The best defensive team in the regular season is currently a game up in the finals.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Not Greg Campbell. Last time he scored a goal for the season was in a 6-2 win on February 22nd, and that gave him one goal in his last 17 games of the season, and one total goal in the last 28 games he'd played overall. Hardly a guy you want on the ice in the last few minutes of a game where you need to score. And yet he never got benched until the very end of the year. Same thing goes with Smith who was a black hole, Paille, and a slew of others that should have seen a couple of nights off well before the end of the year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3274/gamelog/

Facts kind of hurt your post in this case...:naughty:

Bah, that's what I get for trusting my stupid memory...

...*begins search for a primary assist* ... I swear he got one or at least one off of someone?

Edit: Nope, not there either?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What happens will Kelly will be the real bellwether on julien's conversion to a new game. If Kelly is still on the team to start the year julien is still on the fence.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

You again revert to goals prevented instead of goals scored when discussing this guy and that's never been the point. The point is he should never be on the ice in the waning moments of a game where they need a goal, but he was, pretty frequently. You can also say that his scoring all of two goals since January showed he did not need to get nearly as much ice time as he did because his line wasn't being productive, and that lack of production ultimately hurt the team and cost them games.

For the record, there were a lot of players who were not productive as well, and they along with Campbell should have been sat but weren't, until way too late in the year. So who's to blame for not doing that? Any guesses?

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
You again revert to goals prevented instead of goals scored when discussing this guy and that's never been the point. The point is he should never be on the ice in the waning moments of a game where they need a goal, but he was, pretty frequently. You can also say that his scoring all of two goals since January showed he did not need to get nearly as much ice time as he did because his line wasn't being productive, and that lack of production ultimately hurt the team and cost them games.

For the record, there were a lot of players who were not productive as well, and they along with Campbell should have been sat but weren't, until way too late in the year. So who's to blame for not doing that? Any guesses?

Sat and replaced by whom though?

We were already all up in our 18 year old draftee.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sat and replaced by whom though?

We were already all up in our 18 year old draftee.

Ferlin looked better in the limited time he played. As did Cunningham. As did Caron. There were other options for the 4th line when it was clear Paille, Gagne, and Campbell weren't playing well. Fact is, it never happened until way too late. I'd have also sat Smith a few games and played Griffith over him. And of course, I'd have broken up the vaunted chemistry of Soda and Loui and put LE up on the first line to start the season, a move which PC alluded to, but one Claude never tried.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast

Except that it doesn't. In a 3-0 lost to the capitals on April 8, Campbell played over 15 minutes. We had zero goals.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agree that the game is changing.

But its still a defense first game. The best defensive team in the regular season is currently a game up in the finals.

to me its this simple- attack responsibly

its between the players ears and their skillset....if Ryan Spooner who can attack pays attention to the defensive zone he will make a gazillion dollars and be successful

players like Krejci, Eriksson, and even Pastrnak appear to have the 'attacking' ability with the responsibility of getting back and picking up your man.

to me there is no reason why you cant have both but offense is mostly God given, defense is desire

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
to me its this simple- attack responsibly

its between the players ears and their skillset....if Ryan Spooner who can attack pays attention to the defensive zone he will make a gazillion dollars and be successful

players like Krejci, Eriksson, and even Pastrnak appear to have the 'attacking' ability with the responsibility of getting back and picking up your man.

to me there is no reason why you cant have both but offense is mostly God given, defense is desire

Desire indeed, I watch Loui/Bergy/DK, heck, even toss Kelly in there and the angles they take when attacking and it`s often a thing of beauty. Usually a player has 3 options, boards, up the middle or back, so often I watch these players literally take away the forward progress forcing the D to either try and force a puck through or have to play the puck backwards

Speed is huge when pursuit of the puck is the conversation (Dr. Obvious statement of the day) but Bergy/Loui/Krejci are far from burners but players who take fantastic angels on the puck carrier often forcing that player to make a mistake. Let`s hope Spoons and Pasta are watching keenly

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Desire indeed, I watch Loui/Bergy/DK, heck, even toss Kelly in there and the angles they take when attacking and it`s often a thing of beauty. Usually a player has 3 options, boards, up the middle or back, so often I watch these players literally take away the forward progress forcing the D to either try and force a puck through or have to play the puck backwards

Speed is huge when pursuit of the puck is the conversation (Dr. Obvious statement of the day) but Bergy/Loui/Krejci are far from burners but players who take fantastic angels on the puck carrier often forcing that player to make a mistake. Let`s hope Spoons and Pasta are watching keenly

I'm not worried about Pastrnak. He will play defense- he's already kind of insane in a good way. Ryan needs to make sure he plays defense.

Defense can take many forms- Spooner should watch films of guys like Barry Pederson and Adam Oates who were outstanding defensive centers but not physical. They played angles used their brains- Middleton was exceptional on the wing using quickness, speed, smarts, anticipation and knowing the situation and who was out there.

Spooner can at worst be acceptable- his offense can carry him, and he is a legit weapon on the PP who could be the forward version of Krug

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm not worried about Pastrnak. He will play defense- he's already kind of insane in a good way. Ryan needs to make sure he plays defense.

Defense can take many forms- Spooner should watch films of guys like Barry Pederson and Adam Oates who were outstanding defensive centers but not physical. They played angles used their brains- Middleton was exceptional on the wing using quickness, speed, smarts, anticipation and knowing the situation and who was out there.

Spooner can at worst be acceptable- his offense can carry him, and he is a legit weapon on the PP who could be the forward version of Krug

Sure be fantastic if he gets "it" which, based on his willingness last season to go down and work on those aspects lead me to believe he will

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What happens will Kelly will be the real bellwether on julien's conversion to a new game. If Kelly is still on the team to start the year julien is still on the fence.

If Kelly is still on the team to start the year it is because Don Sweeney couldn't swing a deal for him.

7bostonhockey*

Except that it doesn't. In a 3-0 lost to the capitals on April 8, Campbell played over 15 minutes. We had zero goals.

And thats Campbell's fault?
Seriously?

Hes barely making 1 million on the 4th line and

It's ****ING Campbell's fault...

How about all the stifFs earning multiple millions and getting fawned over.

Spare me!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And thats Campbell's fault?
Seriously?

Hes barely making 1 million on the 4th line and

It's ****ING Campbell's fault...

How about all the stifFs earning multiple millions and getting fawned over.

Spare me!

It's good to see you've returned to a our happy message board Claude. :sarcasm:

Congratz on your boss Sweeney announcing his support for you and your staff this upcoming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad