Confirmed with Link: Claude Julien to return as Bruins coach for 2015-16 season

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
How many goalies average goalies happen to have Vezina level performances against your team before you realize your team can't ****ing score?

Still can't believe the league hasn't looked into Carey Price's magical posts yet.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
This is excuse-making 101. Every single forward was just snake-bitten the entire season?

No. There were problems with the team that were fundamental and prevalent and it deservedly led to a post-season DNQ.

They still got to a very respectable 96 points and Claude had to deal with losing a 20 min a night D man and his leading scorer and yes I don't think Claude told all these guys to shoot the puck at the goalie and have there worst shooting percentages of there careers

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
They still got to a very respectable 96 points and Claude had to deal with losing a 20 min a night D man and his leading scorer and yes I don't think Claude told all these guys to shoot the puck at the goalie and have there worst shooting percentages of there careers

If it's worth anything at all, I support the decision to retain Julien. I think he's a fine coach and his body of work in Boston has been incredible.

But last season sucked in part because Julien sucked. We're not discussing the decisions he didn't make - we're talking about the ones he DID.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Dominated the 1st period should have been up 3 or 4 nothing Lou stood on his head team lost all its confidence which was there problem all year basically they could never convert and they got discouraged which got them off there game. every single forward had career worst years and was snake bitten basically

Do you realize that this is virtually impossible and there has to be other more fundamental reasons why this happened to the B's this year.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Do you realize that this is virtually impossible and there has to be other more fundamental reasons why this happened to the B's this year.

Agree, to me it all came down to the D. Very bad teams like Buffalo had an easier time getting the puck out of their zone than we did. It made for slow entries into the Offensive zone which in turn made the dump and chase option the only one available. The lack of speed entering the zone meant we lost more of these battles than we would win. The puck would go out and into our zone and we start the cycle all over again. The low risk D to D passes behind the net only put off the inevitable turnovers when one of our D would misplay the puck.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
it happened

Marchand 13% Career 15%
Loui 13% Career 13.5 %
Lucic 12.8% Career 14.6%
Krejci 10% Career 11.6%
Bergeron 9.8% Career 10.1%
Smith 9.1% Career11.1%
Paille 9% Career 12%
Soderberg 8% Career 9.1%
Kelly 6.3 % Career 11%
Krug 5.9 % Career 6.7%
Chara 5.8% Career 6.4%
Hamilton 5.3% Career 5.7%
Seidenberg 1.9% Career 2.1%
Mcquaid 1.7 Career 3.9%

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast

Shooting percentage is more than just someone shooting the puck. It's also about the scenario, and the strategy that puts you in that scenario.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Shooting percentage is more than just someone shooting the puck. It's also about the scenario, and the strategy that puts you in that scenario.

You don't see any bad luck in every player on the Bruins roster shooting % being below there career average you think that blame deserve to go to Claude

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

The Seguin fan boys on this board blamed his unlucky shooting percentage on why he had such low point totals in the 2013 playoffs

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
The Seguin fan boys on this board blamed his unlucky shooting percentage on why he had such low point totals in the 2013 playoffs

How is this relevant to your point?

If the whole team has a bad shooting percentage, shouldn't the coach be held responsible?

As a manager at my company, if everybody on my team sucks in one area, the higher ups aren't going to blame the people on my team. They are going to blame me for not working on a solution.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
than he will be fired and I won't have a problem with that but I think he deserve at least Till Christmas with his resume to prove he can adopt and make this team a winner again

Considering his entire body of work for his coaching career, what makes you think he's actually able to make kind of wholesale changes that the B's are talking about? What has he done that would even indicate it was possible? The guy has literally been unwilling to make changes for the entirety of his career. Why will he do so now just because his job is on the line? He didn't in MTL. He didn't in NJ. He hasn't here. He may humor the front office and talk a big game, but I'm more than confident what we see next year will be eerily similar to what we saw this year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sort of! I mean no, obviously Campbell is not the sole reason we lost games. But it became pretty clear by like November that Campbell was pretty cooked and wasn't going to be doing a lot of scoring. And then he followed that up by sporting one of the lowest Corsi For percentages in the entire league. Obviously CF doesn't tell the entire story, but the Bruins were in the top 10 for possession teams and the fact that Campbell (and Paille and whoever was on their line) were at one point the worst possession line in the LEAGUE is pretty alarming.

And okay, your fourth line sucks. That's too bad. Definitely a bad way to be. But when that line does suck and can't score and can't keep the puck out of their zone the response is not to play that line 2nd minutes but to limit their minutes. Not only were they getting big minutes they were getting huge minutes. 5 minutes left down by 1 - here's the fourth line. 5 minutes left up by 1 - look who's here. We just scored a huge goal and shifted the momentum - out trots Gregory ****ing Campbell.

And then, after he played 15 minutes against Washington (and I was at that **** show) he gets healthy scratched the next night. How does that happen? How does a player go from playing in a quarter of the game to not playing at all? Obviously Clode was aware he was sucking when he scratched him but did he not notice the night before when he was on the ice for 15 minutes?

Yes, there were instances in which they won in spite of Clode's choices or Campbell got a goal occasionally but for the most part, Campbell being on the ice correlated to the puck being in our zone and ending in a faceoff in our zone (or that ******* ****ing icing he pulled against Philly when he was on the ice in the last 5 minutes - I hope he kissed Marchand's shoes after that game).

And look, this is all coming from someone who likes Clode and is a proponent of keeping him. But what he did this season with Campbell and the fourth line was completely ridiculous. And it's fair to say it almost cost him his job.

So being at that game you know the Bruins allowed 2 goals in the first 7 minutes to a team they didn't score a goal against in 3 games this season. Campbell wasn't on the ice for either of those goals. Perhaps Campbell played more because: A. All the other forward lines sucked in a big game and he though they didn't deserve the ice time. B. He played Campbell a lot because he was resting the other centers because it was clear they weren't going to beat (or even score on) the Caps and they were playing the next night in Florida. C. He just rolled the lines as usual and the times worked out that way.

Just speculation on my part, but those points seem as plausible to me as the "Campbell must be Claude's illegitimate son he loves him so much he played him all the time and he sucked and cost us the playoffs and Claude should be fired" scenario.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
How is this relevant to your point?

If the whole team has a bad shooting percentage, shouldn't the coach be held responsible?

As a manager at my company, if everybody on my team sucks in one area, the higher ups aren't going to blame the people on my team. They are going to blame me for not working on a solution.

I would say, No.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I would say, No.

You don't think the strategy of working the puck back to the point for low percentage shots, hoping for a redirect impacted the overall shooting percentage? Man you can't seem to find it in yourself to be even the least bit objective, can you? Their style of play, dump and chase, shots from anywhere thrown on net hoping for rebounds, etc, plays exactly into low shooting percentages. To Julien, a shot is a shot. He doesn't care about the quality because he's going for quantity. It's why the B's out shot teams by a lot last year but still lost the game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You don't think the strategy of working the puck back to the point for low percentage shots, hoping for a redirect impacted the overall shooting percentage? Man you can't seem to find it in yourself to be even the least bit objective, can you? Their style of play, dump and chase, shots from anywhere thrown on net hoping for rebounds, etc, plays exactly into low shooting percentages. To Julien, a shot is a shot. He doesn't care about the quality because he's going for quantity. It's why the B's out shot teams by a lot last year but still lost the game.

I am not objective? I beg to differ.

Coming from you, that really is funny.

You and your buddy since76 are the least objective posters here.

You claim Julien never changes. And his style leads to low shooting percentages. Yet since 2011, the Bruins have been15th, 5th, 25th, 5th and 25th in SP. Doesn't seem that Claude's coaching has had any effect on SP.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
To paraphrase James Kirk, the captain is responsible for the actions of his crew.

So you think Quenneville is responsible for Chicago's low shooting percentage this year? 7.9 being lower than the Bruins. And Dave Tippet is the reason Arizona had the worst shooting percentage at 6.9?

Perhaps a better question would be, how relevant is shooting percentage?

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Perhaps a better question would be, how relevant is shooting percentage?

shark.jpg

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Michel Bergeron on TVA Sports mentioned that the 2 months taken by Neely/Sweeney to confirm CJ in his job was a slap in the face.
CJ did not deserve that after what he's done for the Bruins....according to him.

I concur!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Michel Bergeron on TVA Sports mentioned that the 2 months taken by Neely/Sweeney to confirm CJ in his job was a slap in the face.
CJ did not deserve that after what he's done for the Bruins....according to him.

I concur!

I'm certainly glad CJ is coming back, but I don't have a problem with the wait for the confirmation. If Chia remained GM and was not in hot water then, yeah, ridiculous to wait. But the fact is the Bs fired the GM. When searching for a GM and trying to evaluate the direction of the team it makes total sense to hold off on confirming the coach will be back, especially after a season in which the team missed the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad