Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I don't think this will happen. I believe the Metro will be a horse race until the final game of the season is played, with the Flyers in the thick of it. What happens in the playoffs will determine his future in Philadelphia, sadly.

But for the sake of it, if he were to move as a rental to a contender, expect a 1st, top prospect and a bottom 6 NHLer. Easy.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I don't think this will happen. I believe the Metro will be a horse race until the final game of the season is played, with the Flyers in the thick of it. What happens in the playoffs will determine his future in Philadelphia, sadly.

But for the sake of it, if he were to move as a rental to a contender, expect a 1st, top prospect and a bottom 6 NHLer. Easy.

I want him on the Sens. Badly. Feel like it was meant to be.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-Giroux

Its a magical fit it terms of style, and the perfect role for Giroux at this stage of both his career, and Ottawa's rebuild (and cap space for a few seasons).

That being said - here is the counter-offer to your request;

-Ridley Greig (2020 28th, Philly org ties, raised value since draft, near lock for WJC on Canada)

-1st round pick (top 10 protected)

-Erik Brannstrom (former-ish top 5 d prospect and only 22yrs old).

And it would be expected that we extended Giroux shortly after completing the deal for 2-3 seasons - which he should likely be down for.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-Giroux

Its a magical fit it terms of style, and the perfect role for Giroux at this stage of both his career, and Ottawa's rebuild (and cap space for a few seasons).

-Ridley Greig (2020 28th, Philly org ties, raised value since draft, near lock for WJC on Canada)

And it would be expected that we extended Giroux shortly after completing the deal for 2-3 seasons - which he should likely be down for.
Ottawa, currently a bottom-10 team in the league is going to give up a high 1st, a great prospect, and a second good prospect for a 34 year old Giroux?

Are you nuts? Why in god's name would they do that. They have not shown they are going to do anything in the next three years.

Why would Giroux even want to come to Ottawa. He's looking for a cup.

The whole idea makes zero sense.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ottawa, currently a bottom-10 team in the league is going to give up a high 1st, a great prospect, and a second good prospect for a 34 year old Giroux?

Are you nuts? Why in god's name would they do that. They have not shown they are going to do anything in the next three years.

The rumor is that Ottawa is the only team that he would leave Philly for. So lets not bother debating why when there are obviously reasons he would. Lets just pretend he does for the sake of it.

Giroux is still a hell of player. Look at what old man Spezza adds to the leafs and their locker room, and the impact hes making with 12min TOI.

A ppg Giroux on Ottawas second line with Pinto and Stutzle would be absolute dynamite. And he probably helps the Sens get to the playoffs and maybe even win a round or two sometime over the next 3 years.

So yeah dog, call me loco. Or crazy. Im all of it if it means we get to watch the Sens start to do some real damage over the next few seasons.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

Pretty much my exact same response to his same proposal on the Sens board, it just makes no sense from our own timing perspective. If we can add him as a UFA this offseason without giving up futures, then great, if he really wants to come home to retire in Ottawa and play his last few years with his hometown team, then he can do it like Spezza is currently doing, without costing us futures that can be important pieces to our future. The cap space is there. But we are not contending for at least 2-3 more years, not worth the cost to trade for him for Ottawa.

Reactions: Altimus

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
How much control does Giroux have?

NMC. Only way he waives is to go to a contender, and probably a higher end one at that.

Flyers ain't moving him for a 2nd. There just wouldn't be any point. He'd command a 1st plus other asset(s) rather easily.

It's rare, but if the Flyers are out of it, it wouldn't completely shock me to see him dealt but then have him come back next summer. He's made comments about valuing being with one team his whole career in the past. Knowing Fletcher though, he'll hang onto him and then just let him walk in the off-season so he can use his cap space on the upcoming Risto extension.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
NMC. Only way he waives is to go to a contender, and probably a higher end one at that.

Flyers ain't moving him for a 2nd. There just wouldn't be any point. He'd command a 1st plus other asset(s) rather easily.

It's rare, but if the Flyers are out of it, it wouldn't completely shock me to see him dealt but then have him come back next summer. He's made comments about valuing being with one team his whole career in the past. Knowing Fletcher though, he'll hang onto him and then just let him walk in the off-season so he can use his cap space on the upcoming Risto extension.

If he has a family in Philly, I would guess that the only teams he is willing to go to are Washington, NJ, NYR, NYI and Boston. Considering salary cap its hard to believe more than one of those teams will be both a contender and be able to take on the salary.

That said the NHL Network crew all had the Flyers in their top 5 power rankings. As the were listed above the Caps in each case, I have a hard time seeing them so far out of it that they are a trade deadline seller in Philadelphia

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Giroux lives in the Ottawa area in the offseason. I could see him waiving his NMC to be traded there.
No Ottawa isn't a contender...but neither is the team he plays for.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-Giroux

I like the value but there's not way Giroux OK's a trade to Ottawa unless they're a playoff lock. I understand it's where he's from, but I think he wants to win above all else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad