Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
You're going to give up Brannstrom, who truly is maybe our 3rd or 4th best defenseman at the NHL level right now (regardless of where he's currently playing), just to get a few months of Claude Giroux when we have no expectations to push for glory this season. That's dumb.

Giroux is from Ottawa and lives minutes from the rink. He's already told people he'd love to play for Ottawa before he retires. We have tons of cap space for a short-term deal. I don't really think we'd have a hard time locking him down in the summer without giving up any assets whatsoever. And if he did choose to go elsewhere, then so be it. He likely would make that same decision then in the summer even if we acquired him this season.

I'm not opposed to trying to get Giroux pre-deadline but not for Brannstrom.

How you can just scoff at that as being "dumb" is the dumbest thing in here.
Not saying Brannstrom. But the notion of fans saying “Why give assets for a player when you can sign him for free” is dumb.

Fans of other teams said the same thing when Stone was traded out of Ottawa. So much so the Jets fans said it was a non-starter if Niku and Roslovic were the main pieces going back. WPG got a third combined for those two untouchables.

Get your guy, Ottawa is at an extreme disadvantage in free agency, whether or not the player is from and lives in Ottawa.

Reactions: banks

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
His contract is up this summer and he hasn't decided if he's going to renew with Philly or go to another team. I think if the return is there, Giroux waives and he gets dealt to a contender. Who do you think could offer Philly the best return even if he's just a rental? He would look real good behind MacKinnon in Colorado.
Fletcher and AV could get fired if the flyers are not in the playoff mix by the TDL. So we are talking about Philly being way out of it within a week of the TDL like 8-10 points at a minimum.

Reactions: SeanMoneyHands

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Flyers are in a tough division. They could be out of it by the trade deadline. Thats the only scenario where he is traded. At that point the next question is, who the buyers might be and Giroux's interest in them for the stretch run. If the Rangers are in it, then they make some sense. The Islanders might make some sense. The Capitals less so. Those are the nearest teams which for a player of his age might be the priority

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Ohh good. We can have a choice between a 2nd round pick (lol) and a LHD (which we don't need). Are there any actual serious offers out there......or no?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
No reason for the Sens to trade for Giroux when they can just get him in the offseason. Unless the Sens are sitting in a playoff spot at the trade deadline, and the Flyers are selling.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Probably worth noting that Giroux will only be 34 as a UFA, so yes that's older for an NHL player but also means he's not in 1 or 2 yr contract territory.

He's probably looking for a 3-4 yr deal still north of 7m.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
As a Flyers fan, I wouldn't mind if they pulled a Keith Thachuk. Trade Giroux at the deadline but have his new contract ready to go to bring him back to the Flyers as a UFA

everybody wants those types of trades to happen but they rarely do. If that’s the case Colorado will give you a 6th in 2023.

Reactions: Altimus

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pittsburgh should offer up any 2 of POJ, Poulin, and the 2022 1st for Giroux.

Flyers get a couple good young assets, and Philly fans get to experience the living nightmare that is Giroux hoisting the Cup in a Pens jersey.

Reactions: banks and Devonator

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Of course I'd love to have him but I can't easily find the Claude Giroux adjusted stats for Carolina online so I can't make a fair proposal. Please advise.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh should offer up any 2 of POJ, Poulin, and the 2022 1st for Giroux.

Flyers get a couple good young assets, and Philly fans get to experience the living nightmare that is Giroux hoisting the Cup in a Pens jersey.
I feel like we can all agree that it would be wonderful to see Giroux in a Penguins sweater, but unfortunately the point is ultimately moot since it's an even year and therefore the Flyers will be making the playoffs.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Flyers may end up good enough that they won't really consider trading G. Last year was a disaster, but mostly centered around goaltending (which very well may rebound).

So ::shrug::

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Bolts should go after him now that we got LTIR cap. 1st + a prospect. Make up for the loss of scoring by losing Coleman/Gourde/Goodrow and now Kucherov to ltir. Go all in on the 3peat because the core isn't getting any younger or less injury prone.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Bolts should go after him now that we got LTIR cap. 1st + a prospect. Make up for the loss of scoring by losing Coleman/Gourde/Goodrow and now Kucherov to ltir. Go all in on the 3peat because the core isn't getting any younger or less injury prone.

I don't think we'd trade him. I think G only leaves if he wants out and the team isn't competing. Right now, Philly is 2-0-1 and we realistically may be a good playoff team.

2 years ago we were a Top 4 team in the East...last year, the goaltending fell apart. If the goaltending is good and these new additions keep looking great, we're cooking.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There is only ONE scenario that the Flyers entertain trading Giroux:

1. They are decimated by injuries and fall out of the Playoff hunt and Giroux asks for a trade to a contender.
If they are healthy, they'll be in the Playoff hunt all season and Giroux is going nowhere. It's also still more likely than not that he extends.

PIMZ

Oct 22, 2021
I really don't see Giroux being moved. First I do believe Carter Hart will bounce back from last year and the additions made to the team (Atkinson, Ellis, etc) will have the Flyers in a spot to make the playoffs at the trade deadline. He also has a full NMC so he would have to want to leave. He has a young family and is settled down in the city so I think things would have to be pretty bad for him to want to move for only a few months.

The other factor is that he is climbing the leader boards in a lot of franchise records. While there won't be many records he can hold the number one spot due to Bobby Clarke's longevity (and the high scoring era he played in). Giroux is on pace to possibly go down as the second best Flyer skater of all time (Lindros was a better player but his Flyers history and shorter career knocks him off the number 2 spot). I really do think these records and his standing in franchise history means a lot to G and he would probably like to retire as a Flyer.

With regards to his UFA status this summer, after all of the extensions this summer in his press conference Fletcher, stated the were working with Giroux but both teams decided to wait until the summer to get something worked out when the cap situation was more clear. My guess is G is open to some sort of home team discount in order to maximize the Flyers chances at fielding a team to win the cup. I am sure the Sens would love to have the hometown kid (although he grew up a Habs fan) play for them, but I don't see anyway G chases a few more million just to not compete in Ottawa. I only see G leaving for a top contender and since the cup is such a crap shoot the Flyers would have to completely fall apart for them not to be competitive enough for Giroux not to want to re-sign.

TLDR: The talk of G choosing to play for another team is wishful thinking.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I really don't see Giroux being moved. First I do believe Carter Hart will bounce back from last year and the additions made to the team (Atkinson, Ellis, etc) will have the Flyers in a spot to make the playoffs at the trade deadline. He also has a full NMC so he would have to want to leave. He has a young family and is settled down in the city so I think things would have to be pretty bad for him to want to move for only a few months.

The other factor is that he is climbing the leader boards in a lot of franchise records. While there won't be many records he can hold the number one spot due to Bobby Clarke's longevity (and the high scoring era he played in). Giroux is on pace to possibly go down as the second best Flyer skater of all time (Lindros was a better player but his Flyers history and shorter career knocks him off the number 2 spot). I really do think these records and his standing in franchise history means a lot to G and he would probably like to retire as a Flyer.

With regards to his UFA status this summer, after all of the extensions this summer in his press conference Fletcher, stated the were working with Giroux but both teams decided to wait until the summer to get something worked out when the cap situation was more clear. My guess is G is open to some sort of home team discount in order to maximize the Flyers chances at fielding a team to win the cup. I am sure the Sens would love to have the hometown kid (although he grew up a Habs fan) play for them, but I don't see anyway G chases a few more million just to not compete in Ottawa. I only see G leaving for a top contender and since the cup is such a crap shoot the Flyers would have to completely fall apart for them not to be competitive enough for Giroux not to want to re-sign.

TLDR: The talk of G choosing to play for another team is wishful thinking.

I think Giroux might not think Ottawa is that far off. Another year of seasoning and they're ready to make the playoffs and that's without Giroux. Giroux could speed up the process from "playoff team to darkhorse contender" in the next year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad