Value of: Claude Giroux to a contender at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
His contract is up this summer and he hasn't decided if he's going to renew with Philly or go to another team. I think if the return is there, Giroux waives and he gets dealt to a contender. Who do you think could offer Philly the best return even if he's just a rental? He would look real good behind MacKinnon in Colorado.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Does he have a full NMC? If so then his value to the flyers will likely be more than what the teams he'd waive to go to will be willing play.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
His contract is up this summer and he hasn't decided if he's going to renew with Philly or go to another team. I think if the return is there, Giroux waives and he gets dealt to a contender. Who do you think could offer Philly the best return even if he's just a rental? He would look real good behind MacKinnon in Colorado.
Well I mean the flyers hope to be contenders so unless they play terrible the rest of the season I don’t see him being traded at all, & to the guy who suggested a second that hilarious

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Yamamoto, Raphael lavoie, and a first rnd pick for 50% retained. There would definitely be a bidding war on a open market trade deadline with mega interest from contenders

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
If he controls his destiny and only allows one team, that's what he'll return.

Obviously he can return more if he completely waives.
why would Flyers trade him for 2nd?
why not keep him?

and why would he say no to the Flyers when it comes to waive?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
why would Flyers trade him for 2nd?
why not keep him?

and why would he say no to the Flyers when it comes to waive?
If he's going to leave in the offseason, a 2nd is better than nothing.

He might not say "no" to waiving, but he might not want to go somewhere in particular and might only give a small number of teams or even one particular team he'd waive for. The reason would be to give himself the best possible chance at a cup or to ensure he went to a good situation worth the hassle of moving.

Reactions: shadow1

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
As a Flyers fan, I wouldn't mind if they pulled a Keith Thachuk. Trade Giroux at the deadline but have his new contract ready to go to bring him back to the Flyers as a UFA

Reactions: trostol

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Giroux might come home to Ottawa after the season. He lives 5 mins away from the arena too and might like playing for his hometown team. :)

Yeah, this makes so much sense. Not only the hometown factor, but also with the timing of Ottawa's rebuild. He would be a phenomenal veteran addition for a young team trying to find their legs and break through as a playoff team.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, this makes so much sense. Not only the hometown factor, but also with the timing of Ottawa's rebuild. He would be a phenomenal veteran addition for a young team trying to find their legs and break through as a playoff team.

I think this is exactly why it doesn't make sense for G.

Why would he signup for more questionable success instead of hitching a ride with a legit contender right away?

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I think this is exactly why it doesn't make sense for G.

Why would he signup for more questionable success instead of hitching a ride with a legit contender right away?

Fair point if he is purely a rental and nothing more. But I can't think of any serious contender that can afford him moving forward without him signing a sweetheart deal to chase a cup, I guess it all depends on where his priorities lie.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
This way of thinking is so dumb. Get your guy before anyone can convince him otherwise.
You're going to give up Brannstrom, who truly is maybe our 3rd or 4th best defenseman at the NHL level right now (regardless of where he's currently playing), just to get a few months of Claude Giroux when we have no expectations to push for glory this season. That's dumb.

Giroux is from Ottawa and lives minutes from the rink. He's already told people he'd love to play for Ottawa before he retires. We have tons of cap space for a short-term deal. I don't really think we'd have a hard time locking him down in the summer without giving up any assets whatsoever. And if he did choose to go elsewhere, then so be it. He likely would make that same decision then in the summer even if we acquired him this season.

I'm not opposed to trying to get Giroux pre-deadline but not for Brannstrom.

How you can just scoff at that as being "dumb" is the dumbest thing in here.

Reactions: NyQuil

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
You're going to give up Brannstrom, who truly is maybe our 3rd or 4th best defenseman at the NHL level right now (regardless of where he's currently playing), just to get a few months of Claude Giroux when we have no expectations to push for glory this season.
You do if he signs an extension with the Sens as a condition of the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad