Civilization VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I had a tough time transitioning from Civ 5: BNW to Civ 6 (with the district system).

Civ 5 is still peak Civ for me (and I started with Civilization back on my old 386.)

I've put so many hours into 5 it's hard to start over and go through that learning curve again.

Getting on CivFanatics and learning the tips and strategies really helped my overall game too.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I hope that they go back to a more realistic art design. Civ VI was a little too cartoony and close to looking like a mobile game to me. That's not the only reason, but part of why I couldn't get into it and played it less than every other iteration, going back to the original.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm both excited to see the next edition of my favourite game series but also unusually pessimistic due to the love/hate relationship I have with how they handled Civ VI.

Basically for all the updates they've put out for the game, first they've failed to address fundamental AI related flaws that have existed since the start - things such as 'how to use an aircraft carrier'. Switching to single unit hex grid in V created new AI challenges, but in VI the AI got even worse and it really effects the end game if it's too stupid to provide a challenge.

The second problem is where the modding community stepped up and largely fixed things in V, Civ VI started its life cycle embracing the modding community but by the end they completely shut the door. Somewhere between the final expansion pack and the slate of smaller DLC's they released after they locked modders out of the internal system files greatly restricting what they can do. Then for the player the implemented some internal asset counter secretly restricting how many mods you can have running in a game, where you can get a game to start just fine but somewhere between maybe turn 50-100 it just crashes. And the constant release of micro updates with maybe a new leader here or there always seems to break some existing mod which then breaks your game, and with the lack of support modders just don't care to update there mods.

Personally with Civ V I got about 250 hours play time with the base game + expansions, then started digging into mods and hit 1000 hours. Civ IV and Civ V both have amazing Community Expansion Packs, where the community gets together to compile an installation of mods to give you a deeper game of Civ. Civ VI CEP simply doesn't exist because 2K turned their backs on modders and its a damn shame.

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I'm slightly concerned for two reasons:

1) 2K forces devs to do stupid things. Just the extra game launchers alone are annoying.(Now the 2K account can be okay, since you would need that for crossplay and stuff)

2) It's announced for the Nintendo Switch as well. Now, maybe it's referring to Switch 2, but I am concerned that a game is being made for such an old console. (It also could be a streaming game option as well, which would be okay for a turn based game I guess)

Anyways, it's just a teaser so far. Let's see in August!

Reactions: tacogeoff

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I'm excited for a new Civ. I enjoyed VI but I agree with most that V was peak.

I'm slightly concerned for two reasons:

1) 2K forces devs to do stupid things. Just the extra game launchers alone are annoying.(Now the 2K account can be okay, since you would need that for crossplay and stuff)

This crap is annoying.

I don't need a launcher on top of my launcher (Steam). The 2K launcher has/had negative impacts on performance as well. Fortunately you were able to disable it.

The account thing is annoying too. Sure I guess I can see it's use in cross play, but I can pretty much guarantee I'm playing solo. Why the hell do I need to create yet another account tied to my Steam account? I'm so sick of it.

EA, Ubi, and now PlayStation and 2K. Just stop.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Civ 6 is currently 95% off on Steam. It's now back to $59.99, which is absurd, not just for an 8-year-old game, but because you can buy the bundles with all of the DLC included for less than that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Commander Clueless

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My last Civ 5 game was a doozie. I was playing as Portugal and I was surrounded by Poland (always a tough out with their social policy advantage), Germany and Assyria.

Needless to say, it didn't take long for them to gang up on me. I was playing at King or Emperor level (which is where I usually play - just more options for strategy).

Usually I'd just give up in the face of it, but I thought, what the hell, I was actually kind of mad at the game so I played it out. Thankfully, my cities were surrounded by hills and mountains so I ground them down and won, leaving each with one tiny city left so I don't get the huge Warmonger penalty.

Very satisfying if monotonous at times. I don't usually get into a lot of warfare early on so it was a bit of a change. I had a massive civilization too early with a ton of puppet cities and happiness issues but it was worth it.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Civ 5 was the better game, but I couldn't go back to V after playing VI. I get the district "limits" the amount that can be built, but it makes you think a lot more and helps you plan what your civilisation wants to look like in the future. Plus, the weather was a great addition and added more elements to it. I personally love VI.

I don't like how this Civ VII is already released so soon, I felt I haven't played enough of VI yet for this next instalment to be already revealed.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, this is already the longest wait between Civ releases, by far:

Civilization - 1991
Civilization II - 1996 (5 years later)
Civilization III - 2001 (5 years later)
Civilization IV - 2005 (4 years later)
Civilization V - 2010 (5 years later)
Civilization VI - 2016 (6 years later)

A 2025 release means a 9-year wait, which is almost double the series average. It may just feel like it hasn't been long because waiting is easier as we get older and a lot of us didn't play enough of Civ 6 to look forward to a follow-up.

Last edited:

Seedtype

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
A 2025 release means a 9-year wait, which is almost double the series average. It may just feel like it hasn't been long because waiting is easier as we get older and a lot of us didn't play enough of Civ 6 to look forward to a follow-up.

It's one of the reason why I am kinda excited, I'm assuming Firaxis is gonna have more of a creative spark, but we'll see.

(though I wish it was XCOM 3 coming instead, heh)

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I had a tough time transitioning from Civ 5: BNW to Civ 6 (with the district system).

Civ 5 is still peak Civ for me (and I started with Civilization back on my old 386.)

I've put so many hours into 5 it's hard to start over and go through that learning curve again.

Getting on CivFanatics and learning the tips and strategies really helped my overall game too.

I say Civ IV was peak, I was not a fan of the transitions they made from 4 to 5 in the base gaem. IIRC it improved with the DLC but Civ IV will always remain the best.

Reactions: crowi

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It's one of the reason why I am kinda excited, I'm assuming Firaxis is gonna have more of a creative spark, but we'll see.

(though I wish it was XCOM 3 coming instead, heh)

I saw something with Jake Solomon recently where he said they were already working on XCOM 3 when they were approached by Marvel, and they decided to pivot to do the Midnight Suns game.

I didn't enjoy it at all. I tried, and just could not connect with it.

Seeing as basically all the XCOM staff are gone now, I don't have much hope for an XCOM 3, at least not in the way it *could* have been done with the core development team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad