Value of: Chris Tanev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CM-

Mar 15, 2007
Edmonton
Prospects/picks > proven commodity on HF.

While true some take it overboard. Have you guys fully read what us Canucks fan's have said. JVR+ would be a decent return but not really what the Canucks need. (Though the way our management team/ownership have been they might be willing to do that). Taking out Kapanen and Leipsic doesn't make sense to me personally as you have a couple smaller players. and they look like they are going to be held back). a Kapanen+a conditional pick or two (ie. 1st if you make the play-offs your highest 2nd and 4th or 5th if you don't) Wouldn't hurt your youth movement that would be a similiar deal as Edmonton made (trading from your strength for a weakness) Though I think you add a Tanev on Toronto they probably make the play-offs.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Wouldn't hurt your youth movement that would be a similiar deal as Edmonton made (trading from your strength for a weakness)

Not anything close to the same situation. Canucks don't have any position of excess like the Oilers did - trade Tanev and the defence is a putrid garbage heap.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Chris Tanev if available should be the leafs number 1 target. He's great defensively and would complete our top pairing. I believe the top 3 prospects are to much but anyone else on the roster or in the system should be on the table for him in an appropriate package. This also should include the leafs first with a top 5 protection on it this year.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
JVR is nothing for Canucks fans. We have players better then him that aren't scoring, he won't fix this.

Tanev shouldn't be available under any circumstances if the majority of offers here are what his perceived value is.

We also shouldn't be moving any significant assets until (and it's when not if) our current brain trust is disassembled. Benning will likely target another Sbisa/Dorsett/Prust type with Tanev being the piece traded.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
JVR is nothing for Canucks fans. We have players better then him that aren't scoring, he won't fix this.

Tanev shouldn't be available under any circumstances if the majority of offers here are what his perceived value is.

We also shouldn't be moving any significant assets until (and it's when not if) our current brain trust is disassembled. Benning will likely target another Sbisa/Dorsett/Prust type with Tanev being the piece traded.

You as a fan say that and it should be accurate considering it's the right mentality but the owners want playoffs this year and I believe bening will oblige them one last time before they fire him for doing what they want. Considering what the owners want JVR would hold great value to the Canucks even though most know he shouldn't.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

does that just mean you status quo for like another year to 18 months? Desjardins will go before Benning

I think that waiting time is disastrous if the Canucks are going to go for a rebuild after Benning is gone. Tanev is worth less being older with less years left on his inexpensive contract, your tradeable assets all get older and in the meantime when you should be bottoming out and drafting high these guys presumably keep you from being an absolute bottom dweller (given it hasn't worked that way this year)

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You as a fan say that and it should be accurate considering it's the right mentality but the owners want playoffs this year and I believe bening will oblige them one last time before they fire him for doing what they want. Considering what the owners want JVR would hold great value to the Canucks even though most know he shouldn't.

The Canucks, minus Tanev plus JVR have the same coring problems, but will now allow more goals. Without even taking the value of previous defenseman traded this year in to account, think that through. If playoffs are the goal, as per your statement, Tanev for JVR is a cataclysmic step backwards.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Tanev is the missing building block for the leafs in my opinion and though he isn't the final piece he is one of the most important to aquire. With this in mind if I had a say in anything leafs related I'd offer

To
VAN
JVR
2017 1st (top ten protected) slides to 2018 no protection.
And lepisic or valiev.

Tor
Tanev
2nd 2017

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Let me start by saying i agree with no JVR to the Nucks...but when it comes to the bold...is JVR going to forget how to play hockey in Vancouver? Whether your current roster is scoring or not, that won't impact JVR's game...your team is getting plenty of chances.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
unprotected or no deal

Then Lou gently presses the "End call" button on his phone and goes about the business of continuing to rebuild. In what Universe does a team go from drafting 1st OA to trading it's 1st the next season?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
does that just mean you status quo for like another year to 18 months? Desjardins will go before Benning

I think that waiting time is disastrous if the Canucks are going to go for a rebuild after Benning is gone. Tanev is worth less being older with less years left on his inexpensive contract, your tradeable assets all get older and in the meantime when you should be bottoming out and drafting high these guys presumably keep you from being an absolute bottom dweller (given it hasn't worked that way this year)

Trading our best defenseman for a middle six (on our team) winger would be worse. Then we are still an awful non playoff team without one of our best trade chips. You realise were not losing games for lack of talent right? We have four former 30 goal scorers, two more 20 goal scorers and a lot of potential for players to do so in the future. Adding another 20 goal scorer won't fix the problem were experiencing.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Let me start by saying i agree with no JVR to the Nucks...but when it comes to the bold...is JVR going to forget how to play hockey in Vancouver? Whether your current roster is scoring or not, that won't impact JVR's game...your team is getting plenty of chances.

You know me better then that.

I'm saying he can't fix any of the problems we'really having. It's top down problems. Throwing JVR into the mix has no benefit not because he's a bad player or the like, but coaching and management have led us down this path, and short of a Matthews or McDavid or Patrick, our problems have to be solved by starting with new off ice leadership.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Trading our best defenseman for a middle six (on our team) winger would be worse. Then we are still an awful non playoff team without one of our best trade chips. You realise were not losing games for lack of talent right? We have four former 30 goal scorers, two more 20 goal scorers and a lot of potential for players to do so in the future. Adding another 20 goal scorer won't fix the problem were experiencing.

It really depends on the direction the franchise is going. I've heard mixed responses about this; some say Vancouver is rebuilding, some say they are retooling, some say they are still trying to go for it.

If you are rebuilding: trading your best players is the best thing to do, it assures you will be bottom feeders, and not middle of the pack (which is the worst).
For example; Trading phaneuf and kessel for mediocre returns pretty much gave us Matthews. If Phaneuf or even Kessel was still on the leafs there is no way we'd finish last place. Sometimes its addition by subtraction.

If you guys are still trying to go for it: By all means trading Tanev is stupid.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I know this sounds crazy, but how about something around Horvat and Tanev (+/-) for Subban (+)? Tanev would be a great complement to Nashville, and they get a young two way centre. Johansen and Horvat would be great long term along with Neal and Forsberg. Subban would be the #1 d-man to build around for Vancouver with Gudbranson, Juolevi, etc. long term.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You know me better then that.

I'm saying he can't fix any of the problems we'really having. It's top down problems. Throwing JVR into the mix has no benefit not because he's a bad player or the like, but coaching and management have led us down this path, and short of a Matthews or McDavid or Patrick, our problems have to be solved by starting with new off ice leadership.

Can't argue with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad