Proposal: Chris Tanev for McCarron + 2017 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I forgot when Chris Tanev was a candidate to play top 4 minutes for team Canada.

He did for Canada this past summer. Connor McDavid raved about his defensive play.

:sarcasm:

Chris Tanev is a nice middle pairing shut down guy, his return will reflect such.

Tanev would be a top pairing defenseman on many teams in the league. Calling him a "nice middle pairing" defender is selling him short. He'd be a fantastic player on any team's middle pairing.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Did y'all watch my habs play last night? yeah, we're not trading McCaron. In a fact, one more like that and he's the new 3rd line centre at age 21 lol

i like tanev, but don't want to give big mac

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Stop it with the ridiculous Tanev trade proposals. The guy is worth 2×2nds at the deadline.

That's a word I'd use to describe your ability to evaluate talent and player value. Even if he was only a 2nd pairing d-man (and he clearly isn't) he'd be worth more than that. :laugh:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Other than last season, Vlasic has had similar offensive production to Tanev and I would venture the Sharks have been pretty happy with his role on their team over the years. A rock solid defensive defenseman that puts up 20 points is worth more to his team than a 40 point defenseman that is a liability in his own zone.

I don't like the Canucks at all . But I have to agree with you on this . Tanev is a rock defensively . I would love to add him to the Oilers . I know lots of fans like the point producing D men but as you said most give up as much or more then they get you . A d man like Tanev 20 points is a true 20 points as he will not leak goals against which really is giving back the points produced .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
shameful to call Tanev anything but a top pairing shutdown defender.

He's 26, on a great contract, and a right handed shot. I'm not that big on advanced stats and such but I saw an article some time back that suggested Tanev is one of the best defenders (10th) in the league based on what he offers to a team. [http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...-20-defensemen-in-the-nhl-right-now-for-real]

This offer is a waste of time.

Hard to make a argument against eastern teams fans as they don't really get to see these players unless they are playing an eastern team . Tanev is a rock . Anyone who watch him play more then a few games with open eyes know this to be true . Any fans that call him less then a top pairing (#2 D ) is blind with hate for the Canucks or just stirring crap up

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Easy pass from habs no way u give up McCarron who was a 1st round pick and a 2017 1st round pick did Tanev become Doughty when i wasn't looking.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
When the player is below top 6 production offensively there becomes a point where it doesn't matter how good he his in his own zone.

Despite missing 13 games he was 98th in scoring for defensemen last year. So no, he doesn't have "below top 6" production. And his point totals don't even matter when he's one of the best defensive players in the league (guess you don't know what that is based on how much you hype Rielly :laugh:).

Easy pass from habs no way u give up McCarron who was a 1st round pick and a 2017 1st round pick did Tanev become Doughty when i wasn't looking.

You're right, McCarron and a 1st would easily get you Doughty.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Tanev is prob worth more but habs shouldnt do this deal. We dont need another Emelin, we need a Fowler or a top 6 C, LW.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Other than last season, Vlasic has had similar offensive production to Tanev and I would venture the Sharks have been pretty happy with his role on their team over the years. A rock solid defensive defenseman that puts up 20 points is worth more to his team than a 40 point defenseman that is a liability in his own zone.

Vlasic has had 23+ points 6 times, including 36 and 39 pt seasons.
tanev has a career high of 20 pts. Vlasic also made team Canada and played top 4 minutes. very poor comparable.

VLasic is a solid top pairing shut down dman. Tanev is a good solid #3

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
tanev has a career high of 20 pts. Vlasic also made team Canada and played top 4 minutes. very poor comparable.

When major hockey pundits compare Chris Tanev to him and Nick Hjarm, yeah I'll take their words over yours bud. At the very least those guys actually watch the games, seeing as it's their job and all that.

Canucks have very little need for players with middle 6 potential and a late first for their best defenceman. Montreal can join Toronto in the you don't have what it takes to trade for Chris Tanev line, as both of these teams are guilty of a summer of terrible proposals involving Canucks players, where each time like any other Chris Tanev thread, once you hear the price and that he isn't available. You resort to pissing all over his value because you can't have nice things

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

And Tanev's advanced stats last season put him tops amongst the entire league. Using points to determine the quality of a defensive, defenseman is a silly idea from the start. Furthermore, Tanev is a late bloomer. Pointing to another player and saying "look, he did it for years!" means little if the player in question is doing it now. No one will ever argue the Sedins weren't elite because they only started putting up PPG seasons at 26-27.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Turn it to a 3 team trade

Toronto gets tanev
mtl gets gardiner
Van gets some prospects and picks from mtl

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
If Petry landed 2 2nds Taney would return a bit more perhaps a late first and a mid tier prospect

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Turn it to a 3 team trade

Toronto gets tanev
mtl gets gardiner
Van gets some prospects and picks from mtl

Lol that's a little vague for a trade proposal thread. Would love Tanev on T.O but uninterested in giving up any of Gardiner, Reilly, Zaitsev. Need to be adding to our current D core. I'd do JVR straight up if Benning and co are still delusional enough to try and contend this year and if they take the route they should be I'd offer up something like... 1st 2017, 2nd 2017 (SJ), Connor Brown. Fire up the rebuild

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
When someone asking 2 1st including your best offensive prospect for a middle pairing dman, you're happy to "waste" a 2nd rd pick previously on Jeff Petry....

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Hard to make a argument against eastern teams fans as they don't really get to see these players unless they are playing an eastern team . Tanev is a rock . Anyone who watch him play more then a few games with open eyes know this to be true . Any fans that call him less then a top pairing (#2 D ) is blind with hate for the Canucks or just stirring crap up

Mad respect for an Oilers fan posting this.

Calling Tanev a middle pairing defender is like calling Crosby a decent 2nd line center.

Tanev is elite defensively and the numbers and scouting reports (from experts and people who watch him on the regular) indicates that as well. Nothing says or indicates anything other than that.

If this doesn't make sense for Montreal, fair enough. But McCarron and a late 1st for one of the top end defensive defensmen in the league is laughable and not interesting to the Canucks at all.

He's 26, making 4.45 a year, right handed shot, elite defensive numbers and would be a top pairing defender on most teams in the NHL. Stop kidding yourselves its anything different than that.

edit:http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...p-20-defensemen-in-the-nhl-right-now-for-real [August 2016]

"Chris Tanev is the best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. He's good at doing the defenseman things. His shot suppression prevents 0.3 goals per 60 RelTM compared to an average player. That's loads. The next highest mark by a defenseman is Brian Campbell's 0.19. That's what us fancy math nerds call an "outlier". No one is in the same tier as Tanev when it comes to shot suppression.

Why is he rarely given credit for this? Part of it is the same as Klefbom. The Canucks are **** at defending as a group, so you don't really expect them to have a star shutdown defenseman. But they do. Here he is. Existing.

The downside is, well, everything else about him, really. He's kind of **** at generating offense, below average for a D. His point production is non existent. His PP production is pretty ****. He's a really great penalty killer, though, and he eats minutes like they're wonderful pieces of salt water taffy. But that raw 5 on 5 defense that he plays just makes up for so much."

Last edited:

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Mad respect for an Oilers fan posting this.

Calling Tanev a middle pairing defender is like calling Crosby a decent 2nd line center.

Tanev is elite defensively and the numbers and scouting reports (from experts and people who watch him on the regular) indicates that as well. Nothing says or indicates anything other than that.

If this doesn't make sense for Montreal, fair enough. But McCarron and a late 1st for one of the top end defensive defensmen in the league is laughable and not interesting to the Canucks at all.

He's 26, making 4.45 a year, right handed shot, elite defensive numbers and would be a top pairing defender on most teams in the NHL. Stop kidding yourselves its anything different than that.

edit:http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...p-20-defensemen-in-the-nhl-right-now-for-real [August 2016]

"Chris Tanev is the best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. He's good at doing the defenseman things. His shot suppression prevents 0.3 goals per 60 RelTM compared to an average player. That's loads. The next highest mark by a defenseman is Brian Campbell's 0.19. That's what us fancy math nerds call an "outlier". No one is in the same tier as Tanev when it comes to shot suppression.

Why is he rarely given credit for this? Part of it is the same as Klefbom. The Canucks are **** at defending as a group, so you don't really expect them to have a star shutdown defenseman. But they do. Here he is. Existing.

The downside is, well, everything else about him, really. He's kind of **** at generating offense, below average for a D. His point production is non existent. His PP production is pretty ****. He's a really great penalty killer, though, and he eats minutes like they're wonderful pieces of salt water taffy. But that raw 5 on 5 defense that he plays just makes up for so much."

Dude, do you even realize that your own link qualify Tanev like a middle pairing guy role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad