Rumor: Chris Johnston: Some believe Toronto is the front runner for Ben Chiarot.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Oh shit, I need to hide :laugh: But seriously, he was so irrelevant in the first 2-3 weeks, he was in the penalty box on almost every shift for cross checking. Again as long as it isn't a 1st I'll be ok with it. Good size and can clear the crease/physical.

They usually let that shit go in the playoffs so he could be effective, just don't be a 1st .

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
it would be really f***ing hard for Dubas to find a way to have a worse TDL than last year, but he seems determined to try

Chiarot brings more than Foligno does, so unless he pays way more, then this deadline would be better. Trading for Foligno was just plain stupid.

On another boat.

I wonder if Montreal wants Brooks back so he can be on Laval. If he clears, he can be sent down and Montreal wouldn't have to waive him

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Oh shit, I need to hide :laugh: But seriously, he was so irrelevant in the first 2-3 weeks, he was in the penalty box on almost every shift for cross checking. Again as long as it isn't a 1st I'll be ok with it. Good size and can clear the crease/physical.

They usually let that shit go in the playoffs so he could be effective, just don't be a 1st .

:laugh: I agree with you. From a no bullshit perspective he's a good add for Toronto.

Also no need to hide, it's a good thing to be able to change your mind. Just having some fun.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Chiarot brings more than Foligno does, so unless he pays way more, then this deadline would be better. Trading for Foligno was just plain stupid.

On another boat.

I wonder if Montreal wants Brooks back so he can be on Laval. If he clears, he can be sent down and Montreal wouldn't have to waive him
Foligno brought nothing, Chiarot is a net negative. Trading a 1st + for him would be much worse

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
He can't be much worse than what we have after Brodie on the right side.

He isn't expected to do God's work... clear the net, be respectable next to Muzz or Sandman

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It really, really doesn't.

the Leafs have the lowest scoring blueline in the league.

they do not need Ben Chiarot, if they are to seek a change in that area.
Maybe they want Chiarot so they won't have to face him if on another team they could meet.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Dillon from the Jets could be a good alternative option. Still has 2 more years on his deal as well at a manageable $3.9 million. The Jets would need that first from the Leafs however, as they would also take Ritchie back to give the Buds a chance at being cap compliant.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He’s be an excellent add for a soft team like the leafs, but I expect Hughes to fleece Dubas. Guess we’ll see

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Foligno brought nothing, Chiarot is a net negative. Trading a 1st + for him would be much worse

No, Foligno hindered someone useful from being higher up, or even in the lineup.

Chiarot is an improvement in his own end over Holl, Dermott, Liljgren and Sandin.

Now, I'm not saying he's getting a 1st, but to slightly improve on those 4 in their own end, or do what Foligno did and that was nothing except block better players, this deal looks far better than dealing for Foligno.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Haha, do it Dubas.

Dillon from the Jets could be a good alternative option. Still has 2 more years on his deal as well at a manageable $3.9 million. The Jets would need that first from the Leafs however, as they would also take Ritchie back to give the Buds a chance at being cap compliant.

Isn't the Leafs issue that they can't afford to take any term at all?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Even with Ritchie gone, the Leafs don't really have the cap space for Dillon at $3.9m.

Chiarot works because Montreal will likely retain 50%, which puts him in the "Dermott + a little bit" kind of cap range.

Isn't the Leafs issue that they can't afford to take any term at all?
The preference would likely be for a year of term, but only if it's a super-favourable / budget contract like Mayfield, or JT Miller at 50%.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
As much as I'd like to watch Leafs fans panic (Habs fan in Toronto) I will say he clarified by saying they are one of the heavily interested teams and even mentioned the way he worded it originally is setting himself up to be radio-ed.

Basically they are one of the teams most interested but there are a few others in pretty hard as well

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
it would be really f***ing hard for Dubas to find a way to have a worse TDL than last year, but he seems determined to try

Beef is we're in win now mode. Tavares won't put up these kinds of numbers for much longer. We have to go all in now, vs wait out all his prime years and then make a move. Would we be a better team today because of this potential trade ? Yes. In the long, f*** no. But we're going for the cup now. I really hope it's not a 1st, I don't think he provides the kind of impact you trade a 1st for at the deadline, but I don't know what the market for big body D-men is like right now. How many guys are realistically available ? My first choice is Manson, he has a NMC I believe, maybe Schenn ? But him and Chiarot are similar players. There's gonna have to be some salary going the other way as well, or retention, if there is retention we probably lose our 1st, which is gonna suck.

I would prefer to use the 1st to try and acquire a guy like say, Crouse. Big body winger who can slot into the top 6 if necessary. I think a 2nd + a little something could be enough for Chiarot.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
TSN's Chris Johnston said on his podcast that some believe that the Leafs are the front runner for Ben Chiarot, he said they have been in on him from the start.

As a Leaf fan Ben Chiarot himself is not a move I'm against. He would make the Leafs better.

But I know I'm likely to hate the cost because I don't think he's worth a 1st but I think he will get it.
Who are 'some'?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Chiarot with retention is a good asset to have. He's a big f***er who will go in the corner and hit you/crosscheck you. He can also clean up the crease without problems. He plays a physical game and it's something that was clearly missing on last year edition of the Laffs.
... And he's a good d-man.

Reactions: egelband

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Dom Luszczyszyn in the Athletic today on Chariott

. Just before the Toffoli trade was officially announced, rumours swirled about Calgary’s interest in Ben Chiarotas well, a heavy and rugged defender expected to command at least a first-round pick at the deadline. While it’s possible Chiarot does better outside of Montreal, it’s hard to fathom considering he’s been a massive part of the problem this season. Without Shea Weber’s help, Chiarot’s game has crumbled with a putrid 41.6 percent expected goals rate and an even uglier 31.6 percent of the actual goals. On a terrible team, both are somehow below the team average. For teams hoping for his ‘defensive’ prowess, no Canadiens defender gives up more chances against than Chiarot’s 3.08 expected goals against per 60.
On top of that Chiarot is a major risk at putting his team on the penalty kill due to his lack of foot speed and this season has a penalty differential of minus-14. On a per-60 basis, only three defenders have a worse rate over the last three seasons than Chiarot.
He’s not the answer, and in all likelihood will likely be a landmine other teams should try to avoid at all costs at the deadline — not spent assets for. Chiarot is currently projected to be an incredible detriment to any team that acquires him, worth minus-0.9 wins. That’s the fifth-lowest mark in the league and is driven by already being worth minus-1.2 wins this season in just 44 games. Only Keith Yandle has been worse.
There have been comparisons made to Tampa Bay’s acquisition of David Savard last season as the blueprint for a Chiarot deal. Aside from that also being a wild overpayment, Savard at least had a stronger resume to fall back on despite also having a rough season prior. That kept his projected value afloat. Chiarot’s resume looks buoyed by one solid year in 2019-20 where he was stapled to a star defender. That’s not worth paying premium assets for.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
It really, really doesn't.

the Leafs have the lowest scoring blueline in the league.

they do not need Ben Chiarot, if they are to seek a change in that area.

lol they won't put up points anyway once the other team starts playing physical

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad