CHL can now play NCAA - change everything !

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
it was widely reported last night that NCAA
will vote to allow CHL players eligibility to play college . this is biggest news in college hockey recruiting , junior leagues , players choices that ever happened - it could completely change landscape . my view is ushl will be hurt the most - i think all the top kids will head to CHL which would water down ushl - then everybody gets weaker / bchl / nahl ect . the other thing will be the college landscape - now all high end kids in nhl camp so they go back to junior team or head to michigan or BC play older kids for 2 years , also does college just now recruit lot of 19-20 year CHL kids - to me this hurts american hockey kids by far the most !

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
You might end up seeing more American kids taking a run in the CHL before heading to college hockey.
yes - and for the NHL draft year they will say they want kids all in same leagues in general - plus CHL team location - money - fans are dramatically better than ushl teams .

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You might end up seeing more American kids taking a run in the CHL before heading to college hockey.

This is only for aged 20+ players thus far. Those are generally non nhl prospects or long shot undrafted players. You’ll likely see a good amount of players still opting for the ushl in order to be eligible to play in ncaa by age 18. The ushl proper is already producing more draft picks than the QMJHL these days.

I would not expect the USNTDP to be impacted at all. The biggest impact is likely on Canadian Junior A which is pretty cooked at this point.

Reactions: Breakers

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
plus already had two Ushl tenders leave this year . morin( youngstown) - sawchyn( steel ) leave already and was rumor i hear that Michigan told top 2008 canada kid play CHL instead of ushl - so it’s heating up

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
This is only for aged 20+ players thus far. Those are generally non nhl prospects or long shot undrafted players. You’ll likely see a good amount of players still opting for the ushl in order to be eligible to play in ncaa by age 18. The ushl proper is already producing more draft picks than the QMJHL these days.

I would not expect the USNTDP to be impacted at all. The biggest impact is likely on Canadian Junior A which is pretty cooked at this point.
We'll see if the CHL Standard Player Agreement gets reworked/ripped up and how many years they require guys to play there before they move on to pro or university. NHL will definitely have some influence and the CHL-NHL Agreement will look entirely different. We'll see how many CHLers move straight to pro or if a sizable number move to the NCAA in this new world.

Reactions: Kaizen

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If it's for 20+ not a big deal. Was thinking if they could go to the NCAA before AHL, the CHL would be in trouble.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There is limits on international recruiting for non-head count sports assuming they aren’t American

Some are self imposed
Considering The total number of division 1 programs

Not as big as you think

I do find it funny some scrub from the tri-city Americans was the first goalie to sue the NCAA.
The only response should have been this guy couldn’t stop a franking nose-bleed in the WHL and he is entitled to an NCAA roster spot?

Also under your example of kids just going to Michigan and BC LOl like they are picking off a menu. That’s not the way this works.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
plus already had two Ushl tenders leave this year . morin( youngstown) - sawchyn( steel ) leave already and was rumor i hear that Michigan told top 2008 canada kid play CHL instead of ushl - so it’s heating up

Was told that the MIchigan has already sent recruiters to scout CHL games and has made overtures to certain CHL teams in terms of "parking" players. Was also told that the reception of said CHL teams was less than enthusiastic to those overtures. It seems that the CHL does not see its self a a future feeder league to the NCAA ala the USHL.

We'll see if the CHL Standard Player Agreement gets reworked/ripped up and how many years they require guys to play there before they move on to pro or university. NHL will definitely have some influence and the CHL-NHL Agreement will look entirely different. We'll see how many CHLers move straight to pro or if a sizable number move to the NCAA in this new world.

That agreement will change in time as players and agents will demand it. The CHL, however, will do everything in its power to attract, retain and steer top prospects away from the NCAA. Everyone is forgetting that a sizable amount of money is distributed from the NHL to the CHL for player development. The CHL will not want to lose that money.

Reactions: wetcoast

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
There is limits on international recruiting for non-head count sports assuming they aren’t American

Some are self imposed
Considering The total number of division 1 programs

Not as big as you think

I do find it funny some scrub from the tri-city Americans was the first goalie to sue the NCAA.
The only response should have been this guy couldn’t stop a franking nose-bleed in the WHL and he is entitled to an NCAA roster spot?

Also under your example of kids just going to Michigan and BC LOl like they are picking off a menu. That’s not the way this works.
i guess my point with ushl - why wouldn’t all the canadian kids stay home - they would . that’s some high end players - celebrini - fantallli— then got canada kids in ushl bchl now can have a choice now and next year what they want to do - plus high end swedes - czech - they played ushl because they wanted go college so dynamics completely changed regarding junior hockey and college . then you get college - Arizona state just recruited chl player last month so dynamics changing on college recruiting from CHL . i
Was told that the MIchigan has already sent recruiters to scout CHL games and has made overtures to certain CHL teams in terms of "parking" players. Was also told that the reception of said CHL teams was less than enthusiastic to those overtures. It seems that the CHL does not see its self a a future feeder league to the NCAA ala the USHL.

That agreement will change in time as players and agents will demand it. The CHL, however, will do everything in its power to attract, retain and steer top prospects away from the NCAA. Everyone is forgetting that a sizable amount of money is distributed from the NHL to the CHL for player development. The CHL will not want to lose that money.
great point - lot of nuances like that i’m not aware of .

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this’ll take some time. This hasn’t even been approved yet. Even if it becomes approved, who is becoming the guinea pig for something there’s no precedent for?

I’m thinking at best this starts taking a few years before any of the effects are anything noticeable.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I think this’ll take some time. This hasn’t even been approved yet. Even if it becomes approved, who is becoming the guinea pig for something there’s no precedent for?

I’m thinking at best this starts taking a few years before any of the effects are anything noticeable.

From everything I read and been hearing, approval is a formality and it is a done deal. You are 100% correct in that the reverberations of this massive change to the prospect landscape will take some time to figure out. The immediate effect will be fewer high end 09 born players "defecting" from the CHL and a bit more elite U.S. born players opting to play in the OHL/WHL.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
i guess my point with ushl - why wouldn’t all the canadian kids stay home - they would . that’s some high end players - celebrini - fantallli— then got canada kids in ushl bchl now can have a choice now and next year what they want to do - plus high end swedes - czech - they played ushl because they wanted go college so dynamics completely changed regarding junior hockey and college . then you get college - Arizona state just recruited chl player last month so dynamics changing on college recruiting from CHL . i

great point - lot of nuances like that i’m not aware of .
Chicago steel are maybe the best developing organization in North America right now

Fantilli
Celebrini
Power

They are producing high end prospects becuase they prepare kids like nobody else

I may agree with you about the ushl
But Chicago steel are next level and better than most of the CHL at development

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Chicago steel are maybe the best developing organization in North America right now

Fantilli
Celebrini
Power

They are producing high end prospects becuase they prepare kids like nobody else

I may agree with you about the ushl
But Chicago steel are next level and better than most of the CHL at development
This list shows elite prospects going there and the Steel might be very good at development but this list doesn't prove anything in itself does it?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This list shows elite prospects going there and the Steel might be very good at development but this list doesn't prove anything in itself does it?

all of those prospects have said that organization is next level in terms of anything they looked at.

How does a list of prospects developed very well not prove anything in of itself?
Corronato
Sameskovich
Brisson

etc etc

They produce 1st round prospects, nobody else has done anything even close to that production

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
all of those prospects have said that organization is next level in terms of anything they looked at.

How does a list of prospects developed very well not prove anything in of itself?
Corronato
Sameskovich
Brisson

etc etc

They produce 1st round prospects, nobody else has done anything even close to that production
It's about the supply of the quality of players coming into their system, other programs just don't have the same type of access due to league drafts and rules.

Also like I said in my previous post do you really think Fantilli,Celebrini or Power wouldn't have developed as well elsewhere?

I get that some people like to have this discussion but it's also kind of pointless as good players are developed everywhere and most of it is on the player.

Reactions: landy92mack29

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's about the supply of the quality of players coming into their system, other programs just don't have the same type of access due to league drafts and rules.

Also like I said in my previous post do you really think Fantilli,Celebrini or Power wouldn't have developed as well elsewhere?

I get that some people like to have this discussion but it's also kind of pointless as good players are developed everywhere and most of it is on the player.
Well I trust the player saying it helped them immensely

That’s the difference

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well I trust the player saying it helped them immensely

That’s the difference
Like really what is any player going to say?

I can find the same thing for any top draft pick in the recent NHL saying how beneficial (insert program here) was to their development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad