CHL can now play NCAA - change everything !

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
it was widely reported last night that NCAA
will vote to allow CHL players eligibility to play college . this is biggest news in college hockey recruiting , junior leagues , players choices that ever happened - it could completely change landscape . my view is ushl will be hurt the most - i think all the top kids will head to CHL which would water down ushl - then everybody gets weaker / bchl / nahl ect . the other thing will be the college landscape - now all high end kids in nhl camp so they go back to junior team or head to michigan or BC play older kids for 2 years , also does college just now recruit lot of 19-20 year CHL kids - to me this hurts american hockey kids by far the most !

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
You might end up seeing more American kids taking a run in the CHL before heading to college hockey.
yes - and for the NHL draft year they will say they want kids all in same leagues in general - plus CHL team location - money - fans are dramatically better than ushl teams .

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You might end up seeing more American kids taking a run in the CHL before heading to college hockey.

This is only for aged 20+ players thus far. Those are generally non nhl prospects or long shot undrafted players. You’ll likely see a good amount of players still opting for the ushl in order to be eligible to play in ncaa by age 18. The ushl proper is already producing more draft picks than the QMJHL these days.

I would not expect the USNTDP to be impacted at all. The biggest impact is likely on Canadian Junior A which is pretty cooked at this point.

Reactions: Breakers

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
plus already had two Ushl tenders leave this year . morin( youngstown) - sawchyn( steel ) leave already and was rumor i hear that Michigan told top 2008 canada kid play CHL instead of ushl - so it’s heating up

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
This is only for aged 20+ players thus far. Those are generally non nhl prospects or long shot undrafted players. You’ll likely see a good amount of players still opting for the ushl in order to be eligible to play in ncaa by age 18. The ushl proper is already producing more draft picks than the QMJHL these days.

I would not expect the USNTDP to be impacted at all. The biggest impact is likely on Canadian Junior A which is pretty cooked at this point.
We'll see if the CHL Standard Player Agreement gets reworked/ripped up and how many years they require guys to play there before they move on to pro or university. NHL will definitely have some influence and the CHL-NHL Agreement will look entirely different. We'll see how many CHLers move straight to pro or if a sizable number move to the NCAA in this new world.

Reactions: Kaizen

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If it's for 20+ not a big deal. Was thinking if they could go to the NCAA before AHL, the CHL would be in trouble.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There is limits on international recruiting for non-head count sports assuming they aren’t American

Some are self imposed
Considering The total number of division 1 programs

Not as big as you think

I do find it funny some scrub from the tri-city Americans was the first goalie to sue the NCAA.
The only response should have been this guy couldn’t stop a franking nose-bleed in the WHL and he is entitled to an NCAA roster spot?

Also under your example of kids just going to Michigan and BC LOl like they are picking off a menu. That’s not the way this works.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad