Child Prodigy

Tigerscout

Feb 21, 2016
Xavier Parent was a child prodigy, he's been dominating minor ranks in Quebec to the same extent as Mario Lemieux and Guy Lafleur for years.

RDS did a feature on him during the PeeWee international tournament and many scouts have said his offensive talent as a youth had not been seen in Quebec since Lemieux. Regardless of how his future pans out, he was a child prodigy.

Is he no longer?

JA

Aito Iguchi is a current prodigy.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?Aito+Iguchi%2C+the+12-year-old+Japanese+hockey+prodigy%2C+is+at+it+again!&id=545953
Aito Iguchi, the 12-year-old Japanese hockey prodigy, is at it again!
BarDown Staff (@BarDown) Jun. 21, 2015 1:28 PM

Japan isn't commonly know as a country that develops top young hockey superstars, but 12-year-old Aito Iguchi appears to have the skill set a powerhouse hockey talent possesses. The young man is an absolute wizard with the puck, which is showcased perfectly in this video from our good friend Pavel Barber. Iguchi goes the entire length of the ice dangling defenders before finishing with a beautiful toe-drag, backhand goal.

And to prove the above goal wasn't luck, we've seen Iguchi on BarDown before when Barber created a highlight package of the then 11-year-old hockey stud.

Stay tuned to BarDown as we'll be following Iguchi's rise, as he continues to excel at an alarming pace.

JA

Jaeger White was a child prodigy, but his WHL career has been abysmal.

Jaeger was rookie of the year for AMBHL South division. He is imop the second best 98 forward in the Province behind Tyler Benson. Two other 98 birthdates to remember are Kale Clague and David Quennville both defencemen. This group is the strongest that Alberta has seen in a long time.

JA

I don't think so. I think he is a great player and all but to call him a prodigy is a bit much. One of the main reasons he is getting the attention he is getting is because of where he is from.
Every publication that discusses him uses the term "prodigy" to describe him, so it's difficult not to think of him as that. I think reputation plays a big role in defining who is considered to be a prodigy. If a player is being talked about at the age of 11 or 12 as being a high-level prospect, I think it's fair to include him in that category.

Last edited by a moderator:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Probably not internationally, but Jesse Puljujärvi was something like that in Finland. I heard of him for the first time in 2008 when he was ten years old.

I heard about Milos Roman. Sorry, i saw an article (slovak). He was only 13 years old. But who knows, what will the future say about him?

In Europe it is not so followed. Not hyped like in Canada. They are desperately looking for another Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Lindros or at least Crosby. We in Europe have another things to follow.

hockey38

Jun 16, 2014

Torso9000

Aug 12, 2011
I guess people don't understand what a prodigy is, that doesn't mean just really good

Thank you.

Mozart was a prodigy. Gauss was a prodigy. Picasso was a prodigy. People are applying that term way too loosely here.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Agreed, there's only been 2 prodigies recently with 87 and 97, and there doesn't seem to be any on the horizon.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Dryden K?

Yes. ohsix plays with him and against him (and several of the Vipers) every so often and at tournaments.

Oddly enough, ohsix's team has never drawn the Bears in any tournament, so while we play with some of the Bears when they are on other teams, never played with or against Tomas M.

And of course there is the MN '06 I mentioned in a previous post that was at the Brick last year with the '05 MN team and will be there again. ohsix played on a selects team with him a while back.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
I saw him play in person whereas most have just watched the YouTube videos.

Great skill but I would hardly label him a great player.

In fact, I thought there was a better player on his team.

There are tons of players in the DC to Boston corridor better.

Got to see him at the Carmen Starr this weekend and while he is good or even great he is not a prodigy

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
05 connor bedard and 06 tomas mrsic. Both best players atm for their age coming out of western canada. they can score at will, but they play a team game because they know thats the only way they can get far. anytime their team is down a goal or 2 the coaches just lets them go end to end. Also Bedard was the tourny MVP at Bricks tourny in edmonton(meaning hes probably the best player for his age in Canada if not the US as well). they are both more hype than Barzal already.

Was looking for an NHL vid of Mike Palmateer and came across the 2014 Pacific Spring Showcase '06 gold medal game. I believe TomasM is 19, you can see his anticipation and skill at the 3:23 mark.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
05 connor bedard and 06 tomas mrsic. Both best players atm for their age coming out of western canada. they can score at will, but they play a team game because they know thats the only way they can get far. anytime their team is down a goal or 2 the coaches just lets them go end to end. Also Bedard was the tourny MVP at Bricks tourny in edmonton(meaning hes probably the best player for his age in Canada if not the US as well). they are both more hype than Barzal already.

We're really talking about 06s? :help:

• Wow
Reactions: Travis093

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
"Prodigy" might be too strong a word, but he is certainly among the top born 01 players in Canada still and could very well become a very good pro. Size might be a concern though.

He's putting up just barely over a PPG, is that impressive for his league? I actually don't know, maybe he's playing with players a lot older, but usually great minor midget players have very high PPG's.

Quebec's 03,04 crop is something to talk about.

Is it? Hearing about all the 'great' drafts in the near future wants you to go through a decade of tanking. 2000 class has Wise, Vetrano. Top born 01 player has been getting comparables to Lemieux, 03/04 class seems strong. :laugh:

buttman*

I heard about Milos Roman. Sorry, i saw an article (slovak). He was only 13 years old. But who knows, what will the future say about him?

In Europe it is not so followed. Not hyped like in Canada. They are desperately looking for another Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Lindros or at least Crosby. We in Europe have another things to follow.

Not sure Canada looks. We just wait. They come. Like McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad