GDT: Chicago @ Carolina—Tuesday, October 15, 7 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
As I posted in the Buffalo GDT for the Buf/Chi game last Saturday - the offensive juggernaut known as the Blackhawks hasn't shown up yet this season - plus there has been some defensive lapses that either cost the Hawks a game or kept games close.

After scoring 6 goals in the opening game, they've scored only 9 over the past 4 games, and except for the game against the Blues, which was a pretty even contest, the Hawks have had long stretches of dominant play but just can't put the puck in the net.

Hossa has only 1 goal, but it was an empty net goal, Sharp, Bickell, Shaw and Keith haven't scored a goal yet.

Defensively, they gave up 3 power play goals against Washington. They let Tampa Bay score two goals to tie it up in the 3rd period after dominating the first two periods, and then went on to lose in the game in a shootout. They gave up the winning goal against the Blues in the last 21 seconds of the third. The gave up 2 goals in the last minute of the first period to the Islanders and ended up hanging on for a 3-2 win. They couldn't protect a 2-0 third period lead against Buffalo and gave up a goal late in the third to make that a nail biter before eeking out a 2-1 win.

I don't know what's going on, but it's a good time to catch the Hawks because they are far from firing on all cylinders.

putting "the puck in the net" may not be a problem tonight. Khudobin is injured and Ward has yet to prove any consistency. that and Carolina's D while improved, still has far too many lapses. if the Hawks hem them in, it's only a matter of time till the red light flashes. that and the Canes haven't been scoring much either.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Khudobin is injured and Ward has yet to prove any consistency.

Ward was very good against Detroit.
Not so good against Pitt, but its Pitt. It happens.
Fantastic against LA.
And not great against PHX, but I don't blame a goalie when they are brought in unexpectedly.

So we've had two very good to great games, one bad one and one we shouldn't count.

The number 1 job of every goalie is to give his team a chance to win. And Ward has done that in 2 of his 3 starts.

To throw out the word "inconsistency" at this point is just insane.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Fantastic against LA.
And not great against PHX, but I don't blame a goalie when they are brought in unexpectedly.

So we've had two very good to great games, one bad one and one we shouldn't count.

The number 1 job of every goalie is to give his team a chance to win. And Ward has done that in 2 of his 3 starts.

what you just posted sounds like "inconsistency" to me (insane) but the excuses are endless. "...but it's Pitt"? so? coming in cold? so? hey I hope he plays phenominal. he wasn't selected for the O's (I know, hurt........) Ward is under alot of pressure now. we'll see. again, I hope he does well.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yes, coming in cold makes a world of difference in a goaltender's play. Have you sat down and watched the warmups before games?

The starter gets all the prep, while the backup for the night gets 3-4 shots before they move onto the next drill.

So it'll usually take some time for a cold goaltender to get game ready. That's why you always hear you're suppose to throw everything at the net when a team switches goalies.

As a defense, you're not suppose to do...exactly what the Canes did immediately after Ward came in, and that's leave your cold goaltender out to dry. Turnover in the defensive zone, cross crease pass to a wide open player in the slot. That third goal was embarrassing.

As for the Olympics, there's nothing that says he hasn't been selected yet. He wasn't invited to camp, but every year, there are players on the Olympic teams that weren't in the camp.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
My childhood favorite team and favorite team until the Canes came vs. my current favorite team.

Always a tough game for me.

I'll wear my Toews jeresy and root for the Canes. Why not.

The Blackhawks were in a way my favourite childhood team as well. That was in back in the days when my friends and I were trading hockey cards and Jeremy Roenick and Chris Chelios were the top dogs. Good times!

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Muller probably forgot to ask Cam to make lots of saves vs. Pitt and Pho. That's the kind of sloppy coaching that cost this team the week 2 championship.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Muller probably forgot to ask Cam to make lots of saves vs. Pitt and Pho. That's the kind of sloppy coaching that cost this team the week 2 championship.

That's the worst thing about this Metropolitan Division. With no SEC anymore, we don't get an automatic bid to the title game when we win the conference. We gots ta earn it :)

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

Quoted for truth, man. You are SO bang on. Hopefully Muller tells them to shoot the puck tonight too, otherwise how are we going to get shots on goal?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Found out I have been temp reassigned to Memphis for the next couple of months. Need to check on games for the Preds, maybe catch a couple.

(wont be there during the Canes visit, darn)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Quoted for truth, man. You are SO bang on. Hopefully Muller tells them to shoot the puck tonight too, otherwise how are we going to get shots on goal?

No, no, no. He needs to tell them to shoot the puck at the parts of the net where the goalie isn't. If he just says "shoot the puck" they may shoot it everywhere. He HAS to be as explicit as possible.

jstaal

go canes go
Apr 14, 2009
mass
hmm

so it appears that Ruutu may be on the top line and Tlusty on the second according to practise. it is NOT Jiri's fault that line isn't producing right now and he is not playing poorly. I don't mind Ruutu there but juggling lines in games and prior to, is indicative of failed systems and not knowing what to do to counter. last resort moves usually. panic.

I know it's the easiest thing to blame players and for Muller it's a job saver that everyone buys into it seems. there's another team on the ice and if you think Jiri's not producing because he is playing the ***** or that last year was an anomoly, watch how they block Jiri from receiving passes from Semin. Staal is being blocked too. Semin holds the puck and dangles looking to pass until he is forced to shoot or give the puck up by just dumping it to the net or corner. he is passing to the D more as well. teams are effectively shutting this line down and Muller continues to have them run set plays. heck, Forslund mentioned something of the sort last game.

secondary scoring is great and needed but Muller's "new" brilliant system has effectively stifled the top line. without them scoring they lose. period. they are not dogging it. they are doing what all players do and that's do what the coach tells them to. same goes for special teams that master Muller has been orchestrating to no avail.

this team has the pieces to do well but until Muller holds himself accountable they will continue to lose. soon he'll lose the room. book it. Eric is pissed already and not at himself.

So you have the inside info knowing Eric is pissed? Continue to lose??, they have lost 2 , and been in all games except 3rd period of yokes and pens games..

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So you have the inside info knowing Eric is pissed? Continue to lose??, they have lost 2 , and been in all games except 3rd period of yokes and pens games..

You should know that this board has a long history of knowing precisely what Eric Staal is feeling, be it crippling, overwhelming jealousy of Jeff Skinner or murderous rage at Muller.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
No, no, no. He needs to tell them to shoot the puck at the parts of the net where the goalie isn't. If he just says "shoot the puck" they may shoot it everywhere. He HAS to be as explicit as possible.

My back is all messed up and I'm laughing so hard it's starting to hurt, bad. Curse you.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You should know that this board has a long history of knowing precisely what Eric Staal is feeling, be it crippling, overwhelming jealousy of Jeff Skinner or murderous rage at Muller.

Hey, that Skinner thing is legit. Or is it a coincidence that everytime Skinner starts to outperform Eric, he gets a concussion?

In fact, given their starts this year, Eric should be arranging Skinner's "accident" any game now.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey, that Skinner thing is legit. Or is it a coincidence that everytime Skinner starts to outperform Eric, he gets a concussion?

In fact, given their starts this year, Eric should be arranging Skinner's "accident" any game now.

Nah this season he's been jealous of Khudobin. How else do you explain that conveniently placed patch of bad ice that Khudobin just happened to lose his edge on?

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Nah this season he's been jealous of Khudobin. How else do you explain that conveniently placed patch of bad ice that Khudobin just happened to lose his edge on?

Eric is far craftier then that. He probably hypnotized Skinner to take out Khudobin and kill two birds with one stone, but Jeff got mixed up and took a shot a Smith's head instead of Khudobin's. (the goal was just a freak bonus)

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Makes sense. Eric was playing the point on the PP. Wouldn't have taken much to take an extra dig at the ice as he went to retrieve the puck from our zone. And with the PP as bad as its been, he would have had plenty of chances.

If our PP miraculously becomes competent, we'll have our answer.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
My back is all messed up and I'm laughing so hard it's starting to hurt, bad. Curse you.

I'll take those curses gratefully. :laugh:

Eric is far craftier then that. He probably hypnotized Skinner to take out Khudobin and kill two birds with one stone, but Jeff got mixed up and took a shot a Smith's head instead of Khudobin's. (the goal was just a freak bonus)

I stand corrected! But BB makes a good point - with the start Skins is having relative to Staal, how long will Eric be able to keep his green-eyed monster in check?

Won't be watching tonight - going out to Fullsteam for their release of Igor (their bourbon barrel aged stout) but let's go Canes!

bluedevil58*

Fantastic against LA.

You're joking right? Ward has been inconsistent for the last 4 seasons. He is anything but a game changer. Let's see what hapoens when the Blackhawks go for high glove shots on Ward tonight. We're going to get lit up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Figured this would be some good fodder for the board. Enjoy.

Eric Staal seeks to lead, play smarter

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/15/3283292/staal-seeks-to-lead-play-smarter.html

"At this point it's not the work ethic that's a problem. It's about being smart in certain situations."

"Sometimes that's pressing a little bit hard and trying to be the guy to score the winner rather than knowing we have a good enough team here that everybody is going to contribute and help us get the win," Staal said. "So you still learn as you go. But I know that if I bring my work ethic and my game it's going to help us as a group and help myself as well."

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I've said it for a while now: If Eric had the work ethic of some of our 3rd/4th line players, he could easily be in the talks with Crosby/Datsyuk/etc.

That's what makes him so frustrating. So much talent that Eric can seemingly turn on and off at will.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The Blackhawks were in a way my favourite childhood team as well. That was in back in the days when my friends and I were trading hockey cards and Jeremy Roenick and Chris Chelios were the top dogs. Good times!

My Dad talks about how the Blackhawks were his childhood team, though he tends to talk about how great Stan Mikita was (and how much he and the rest of Chicago were pissed at Dollar Bill for essentially pushing Hull out the door). And until 2010, he still hadn't gotten over the Habs comeback in the 1973 final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad