Chia needs to make moves now.

bigbadbruins1966

Nov 30, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
The Bruins need to add one or two players, knowing it's easier said than done.....and I totally agree that it all depends on what the other teams want from the B's.
I really think that We have the best GM's in the league or Chiarelli is in the top three and I trust him.
For me D.Hamilton is an untouchable and no conversation should even open if Hamilton is in it.That being said,I really don't feel the same way about Spooner cause at his first NHL game he seemed lost (remember the game against the Habs) and last night even though some B's fan feels that he is the real deal I really don't agreeI don't think he will fit with the B's system but could do well with a team like Anaheim.For Bobby Ryan,I wouldn't hesitate at all to add Spooner,Subban and a future draft choice.I don't want the Bruins to make any bad decision that will comprise its future but at the same time I strongly feel that the Bruins need to do something before the end of the season with all the injured players. A few weeks ago we were talking about adding some grits-depth to the roster I now feel that we need a top 6 FW sooner than expected at first sight cause we may fall in the standings... It's too bad the chances are rather slim of adding Alfie as a rental this year cause He would bring some speed,experienced and would contibute on the PP but who else than Iginla is out there ? I'm asking cause I know since Corey Perry have signed a 8 years contract with the Ducks Iginla's value has or will increase but if I were Chiarelli I wouldn't give too much for Iginla unless the Bruins could get him for not giving away too much and could use him as a rental player and let him go after July 1st. I'd like to see Bobby Ryan with the Bruins and would consider giving something like mentionned above or even try to get Corey Perry now that He have a 8 years contract and throw Horton's into the mixed along with Spooner and Subban

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I love this stuff. Who says he isn't trying to make a deal right now??? There is a problem this year, there are about 27 teams who consider themselves, technically, in the playoff hunt. Twenty seven teams who want to add. That makes the market ridiculous. I'm sure Dale Tallon and Darcy Regier are looking for the best prospects on teams.

Do you want Chia to give up Ryan Spooner for Brendan Morrow? Because I'm sure that's what's being asked for right now. Do you want Chia to give up a 1st round pick for a 3rd line forward? Because, no doubt, that's the price right now.

I guess the question Chia has to ask himself is does he think Morrow trade for a high prospect gives us a better chance for the cup this year. We have a window right now that may close soon with Chara getting older, Horty a UFA after this year, Seids getting older.

It always comes down to do you give up some of your future to go hard after the cup this year. I say Chia has to look at it that way. Now is it Morrow, not sure, Iggy maybe but he has to really roll the dice IMO.

bigbadbruins1966

Nov 30, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Maybe ,if ever Soderberg is to join the Bruins He would be one of the pieces to add to the puzzle and wouldn't cost big $$$ Still the Bruins will need to add another FW like Alfie ??? or Iginla if the price is right!

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
They need a shake up for sure. Whether it be a trade or line shuffling. This team is incredibly flat right now

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
No for me on Morrow. He's generating just around 1 SOG per game. That's not good enough and his S% isn't sustainable at 20%.

I'd love to get my hands on some of the Sharks, it's just too bad the cap is going down and our owner is very questionable in terms of whether he'll allow us to use our amnesty buyouts. Otherwise I'd be all over something containing Boyle/Havlat/Clowe.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The Bruins need to add one or two players, knowing it's easier said than done.....and I totally agree that it all depends on what the other teams want from the B's.
I really think that We have the best GM's in the league or Chiarelli is in the top three and I trust him.
For me D.Hamilton is an untouchable and no conversation should even open if Hamilton is in it.That being said,I really don't feel the same way about Spooner cause at his first NHL game he seemed lost (remember the game against the Habs) and last night even though some B's fan feels that he is the real deal I really don't agreeI don't think he will fit with the B's system but could do well with a team like Anaheim.For Bobby Ryan,I wouldn't hesitate at all to add Spooner,Subban and a future draft choice.I don't want the Bruins to make any bad decision that will comprise its future but at the same time I strongly feel that the Bruins need to do something before the end of the season with all the injured players. A few weeks ago we were talking about adding some grits-depth to the roster I now feel that we need a top 6 FW sooner than expected at first sight cause we may fall in the standings... It's too bad the chances are rather slim of adding Alfie as a rental this year cause He would bring some speed,experienced and would contibute on the PP but who else than Iginla is out there ? I'm asking cause I know since Corey Perry have signed a 8 years contract with the Ducks Iginla's value has or will increase but if I were Chiarelli I wouldn't give too much for Iginla unless the Bruins could get him for not giving away too much and could use him as a rental player and let him go after July 1st. I'd like to see Bobby Ryan with the Bruins and would consider giving something like mentionned above or even try to get Corey Perry now that He have a 8 years contract and throw Horton's into the mixed along with Spooner and Subban
Holy jumping' to conclusions, Batman! So, based upon his first three games he doesn't fin in on this team? Sheesh. Instant gratification is still live and well.

I'm willing to include Spooner in a trade but not because of a perception that he's not right for this team. I move him for a Ryan type, young winger with upside or in his prime, not for a three month rental.

mich25

Jan 23, 2013
Still to early. Teams will wait up until the deadline to decide to sell due to how close the standings for playoff spots are. B's have to be patient. I do think Chia will make a move. You will always have to give in order to get. The price is I'm sure really high right now, but could drop. Neely has said the B's have had a plan for sometime on what they are looking for or need, so I think they will do something. I also don't think they are putting all their eggs in Soderbergh's basket. Neely said the outlooks is good for him coming over but whether or not it happens is a difficult to say and that they would need to be patient with him since he needs to adjust to the N. American style of play and rink size and spoke about how that affected Seguins play at the start of the season. So, I don't think they are expecting Soderbergh (if he comes over) to be an immediate fix to the problems.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Was going to make a sep thread for this, but I guess just posting here is fine:

Chia's not going to get anything good this year, because there's almost nothing to be had at a fair price. This year is going to be the biggest sellers market in the last 15 years. Standings are jammed with teams who can make it, a few teams who probably can't but who have GMs who won't admit it, and then a hand full of lucky sellers who are going to fleece people.

Our prospect depth is already questionable compared to a lot of other teams. Chia's core is super young with the exception of Chara. I think he's going to play the long game, so prepare for another trade deadline like the last one:

a 3rd liner and a depth d man, and that's it.

mich25

Jan 23, 2013
Was going to make a sep thread for this, but I guess just posting here is fine:

Chia's not going to get anything good this year, because there's almost nothing to be had at a fair price. This year is going to be the biggest sellers market in the last 15 years. Standings are jammed with teams who can make it, a few teams who probably can't but who have GMs who won't admit it, and then a hand full of lucky sellers who are going to fleece people.

Our prospect depth is already questionable compared to a lot of other teams. Chia's core is super young with the exception of Chara. I think he's going to play the long game, so prepare for another trade deadline like the last one:

a 3rd liner and a depth d man, and that's it.

What you say could be and makes sense, but their were rumors that the B's were interested in Corey Perry if he was to hit the market so that makes me think they will go after a forward with potential top 6 ability, if the price isn't too ridiculous. I think teams will wait until the last minute to decide if they will be sellers, which could make it difficult for teams looking to add to evaluate. Market could open up though at the last minute and prices might drop.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Chia should be trying his best to get deals done sooner rather than later, this team although still having a good record, has not played that well overall lately losing games they should have won. I think they need another third line guy, but also would be nice to add some scoring in the top 6, drop someone else to the third line.

my gut feeling is that soderberg is all but an announced done deal and he will be getting a tryout with the team before the deadline. if he steps right in and looks good than he is the missing third liner that we have a hole for. he isnt going to cost us any assets either... in fact he becomes an asset for us.

I do think depth for a playoff run is a good thing... Id be trying to add a vet forward and a vet dman before the deadline but i wouldnt be making any 'panic' moves to get one. We have nothing to prove in march. We cant burn the guys out here in March so if they have a bad week.. its to be expected.

In the long run... I think my gut says that Brenden Morrow will be picked up before the deadline to give us our depth up front. If Soderberg is the real deal and Kelly returns in time for the playoffs than Morrow might end up joining the fourth line... but thats quite a nice upgrade for the 4th line :)

As for possible dman pickup... Maybe we do take a flyer on Whitney after all? I was writing him off two weeks ago as not being recovered from his ankle injury... but maybe it was just a confidence problem for him? over the past couple weeks he actually has been able to keep up with the play and is producing offense again.

Morrow/Whitney wouldnt be the sexiest acquisitions ever but add Soderberg's name to the mix and a returning Kelly back into the lineup and it will make our team alot better than the one that has looked sluggish the last couple of games.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I get what people are saying about so many teams still in the hunt and prices are high, I don't want guys like Spooner, Koko, Knight moved for rentals either. I would look to see what we could get for Caron and one or two other guys from Providence, maybe a decent third line guy. I know I will catch a lot of flack for this, but I would not be adverse to moving Lucic if the Bruins could get back a legit first line scoring threat. I like Looch like all B's fans do, but I think his game is too one dimensional and he is very slow skating, however he has a lot of value and other teams would like to add aplayer like him. I would only do it though if we are getting back a legit top younger player, not Iginla types who are close to being done.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Chiarelli's xbox controller must be broken.... and that cheap Jacobs won't buy him a new one..

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

where are you planning to find the cap room next year to afford Ryan... it isnt coming from horton/ference cause those guys are already gone.

we have enough cap space to get rask signed... spend maybe 2-3 mill on horton's replacement... then we need to bargain shop to fill in the third line, the sixth dman, the backup goalie, and 2-3 depth players for the press box.

if the cap goes up a couple million... than it migth make a hell of a lot more sense spending that money on those 5-6 roster spots that we otherwise will be filling with junk.

i guess maybe you plan to move guys like boychuck/peverly to replace them with more affordable options in order to fit ryan onto the team? but one way or the other... a guy like this only comes in if you can find us cap room in the future. For me, Ryan isnt enough of a difference maker to make me willing to destroy the team just to fit his cap in.

I think Chiarelli needs to give up more picks/assets in order to sweet talk another team into eating half the cap hit of some player they feel is expendable or we will be trying out guys like soderberg/spooner as horton's replacement next season.

hemsky is someone that i think there is potential we could land at 1/2 price. Edmonton will have some extra cap room next year unlike anaheim and hemsky is signed for only 1 year unlike ryan.

i realize ryan is a much more desirable player... but we have to keep cap reality in mind when we are trying to put together our team for this year and moving into the future too.

If the horton/krecji/lucic line is too one dimensional to be counted on for our playoff run... and if we cant afford to bring back horton anyhow... and if he was willing to sign an extension and accept playing in edmonton... than I like the idea of dangling him for hemsky with the provision that edmonton eat 1/2 of hemsky's cap hit so we could actually afford him next season too.

its not the perfect trade cause hemsky has sucked at times in the past being too selfish to help his team out of the basement... but the guy reeks of talent and if his attitude improved after a trade than we'd get one hell of a talented player to mix up the dynamics on the krecji line... probably bring out more from krecji... and take some of the attention off lucic allowing him to simplify his game more and focus on supporting hemsky/krecji rather than being the goto guy on the line like he is now.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Realistically,

Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Washington
Florida
Colorado
Calgary
Nashville
Edmonton

Should all be in sell mode. The three point games artificially keep some teams alive, but deep down, these teams have to know that they're not going anywhere. It's not just the points, but it comes down to having too many teams to climb over.

The East is basically down to nine teams for eight spots.

The West is sort of funny. You have Nashville who is falling apart. You have Columbus who is somehow still in the hunt, and you have Calgary who is usually stubborn about blowing it up and is only 4 out with a game in hand.

I think you are absolutely right. However, my guess is that with the lockout, owners are trying to milk out any playoff revenue they possible can -- even if they realistically understand it's likely two games at best. I have to think at least some are telling their GM's that as long as there is a chance of it happening, keep the hopes alive.

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
where are you planning to find the cap room next year to afford Ryan... it isnt coming from horton/ference cause those guys are already gone.

we have enough cap space to get rask signed... spend maybe 2-3 mill on horton's replacement... then we need to bargain shop to fill in the third line, the sixth dman, the backup goalie, and 2-3 depth players for the press box.

if the cap goes up a couple million... than it migth make a hell of a lot more sense spending that money on those 5-6 roster spots that we otherwise will be filling with junk.

i guess maybe you plan to move guys like boychuck/peverly to replace them with more affordable options in order to fit ryan onto the team? but one way or the other... a guy like this only comes in if you can find us cap room in the future. For me, Ryan isnt enough of a difference maker to make me willing to destroy the team just to fit his cap in.

I think Chiarelli needs to give up more picks/assets in order to sweet talk another team into eating half the cap hit of some player they feel is expendable or we will be trying out guys like soderberg/spooner as horton's replacement next season.

hemsky is someone that i think there is potential we could land at 1/2 price. Edmonton will have some extra cap room next year unlike anaheim and hemsky is signed for only 1 year unlike ryan.

i realize ryan is a much more desirable player... but we have to keep cap reality in mind when we are trying to put together our team for this year and moving into the future too.

If the horton/krecji/lucic line is too one dimensional to be counted on for our playoff run... and if we cant afford to bring back horton anyhow... and if he was willing to sign an extension and accept playing in edmonton... than I like the idea of dangling him for hemsky with the provision that edmonton eat 1/2 of hemsky's cap hit so we could actually afford him next season too.

its not the perfect trade cause hemsky has sucked at times in the past being too selfish to help his team out of the basement... but the guy reeks of talent and if his attitude improved after a trade than we'd get one hell of a talented player to mix up the dynamics on the krecji line... probably bring out more from krecji... and take some of the attention off lucic allowing him to simplify his game more and focus on supporting hemsky/krecji rather than being the goto guy on the line like he is now.

What top-6 forward are we going to get for 2-3 million?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I get what people are saying about so many teams still in the hunt and prices are high, I don't want guys like Spooner, Koko, Knight moved for rentals either. I would look to see what we could get for Caron and one or two other guys from Providence, maybe a decent third line guy. I know I will catch a lot of flack for this, but I would not be adverse to moving Lucic if the Bruins could get back a legit first line scoring threat. I like Looch like all B's fans do, but I think his game is too one dimensional and he is very slow skating, however he has a lot of value and other teams would like to add aplayer like him. I would only do it though if we are getting back a legit top younger player, not Iginla types who are close to being done.

did we know that iginla is younger than chara? i dont really get this myth that iginla is close to being done.

the dude plays without a center and scored over 70 goals in the past 2 years. How many 'done' players scored over 70 goals in the past 2 years?

I think to me... iginla looks a bit heart broken that he is going to need to move on... he seems to me to be a very loyal guy who wanted to finish his career in calgary and kept hoping for the best that somehow they'd manage to find the right pieces to contend there.

iginla is a winner... he always steps it up for olympics or other championship events. his work habits are great. but he has always played on rather flawed calgary teams and he used to try to do too much... and eventually over the years i think he just got quite discouraged.

i think if he got a chance on a contender youd soon see this guy keeps himself in as good a shape as anyone in the NHL. guys with this much talent usually play at their top level till they hit 40. We've seen it with dozens and dozens of other hall of famer talents over the past couple decades now. Guys without elite talent do drop off and so do guys that arent physical freaks but for the hall of famer guys that do work out they can play into their early 40s and still be allstars. Look at Bourque... Chelious... Messier... Gretzky...Jagr... Sakic... Yzerman... Francais... Shanahan... Oates... and the list goes on and on

It will include Iginla's name on it too in 5-6 years time. He has at least that long left as a first line 30+ goal per season stud in him.

Maybe you dont believe it yourself... but there will be at least 3-4 NHL teams that do and they will pay up an appropriate price to get someone like that. I personally hope it's us. I wouldnt tear this team apart for someone like Bobby Ryan who has been kind of a malcontent underachiever in Anaheim playing in the shadow of Getzlef/Perry but I would move out someone to make room for Iginla who would immediately becoem our best forward for the next couple years {and yeah I know Seguin and Bergeron are forwards on our team too}

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What top-6 forward are we going to get for 2-3 million?

there are alot of top six forwards currently signed for 4-6 million. The cba allows a team that has one of these guys to keep 1/2 of his contract/cap number if they trade him.

I am suggesting we give a team that has a guy like this... an incentive in the trade to convince them to eat 1/2 the contract for us.

we would give up more trade value to get a guy like that because we are taking only 1/2 of his contract.

in my earlier example... edmonton would eat half of hemsky's 5 million dollar contract and he would end up costing us 2.5 million. He would be a top 6 forward for us that we could afford.

If Anaheim ate 1/2 of ryan's contract than he could be one too but ryan is signed for many years and Anaheim cant afford to eat 1/2 the contract. So he isnt someone we can afford either.

We need to look at teams that have enough cap room to do this... and also might be willing to deal off a top 6 forward in exchange for something we would be willing to part with ourselves.

There isnt alot of good fits for us but there are a couple potentials. I hope Chiarelli is considering this option and feeling it out.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think you are absolutely right. However, my guess is that with the lockout, owners are trying to milk out any playoff revenue they possible can -- even if they realistically understand it's likely two games at best. I have to think at least some are telling their GM's that as long as there is a chance of it happening, keep the hopes alive.

Right on. How would fans feel in a lockout shortened season, if their team bailed after 30 games? They'd feel ripped off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad