Chia needs to make moves now.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
cap space and acquisition price are two different things.

have huge cap space, but having to put together a nash like deal for Iginla would cause me to "evaluate" too

Ironically, the Jackets have only 2pts less than the Rags in arguably a much more difficult Conference, and are right in the mix to try and compete for a playoff spot...guess it wasn`t just scrubs as many suggested here the Jackets received

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
cap space and acquisition price are two different things.

have huge cap space, but having to put together a nash like deal for Iginla would cause me to "evaluate" too

Agreed,.. I always thought you should "bulk up" in the summer, then pare down during the season....instead of going in light and then trying to add. It's expensive. Man, if we would have lost round one vs Montreal game 7, people would be killing him for dealing all those pieces for Kelly, pevs and Kaberle.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
people talking themselves into iginla is like people talking themselves into that great sportscar that has about 400,000 miles on it.

He's 35, he's not dead. He's the same age as Marc Savard and Zdeno Chara. Is Chara an old car with 400000 miles on it? If he weren't on the Bruins would he be someone you'd consider wanting on the Bruins?

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Agreed,.. I always thought you should "bulk up" in the summer, then pare down during the season....instead of going in light and then trying to add. It's expensive. Man, if we would have lost round one vs Montreal game 7, people would be killing him for dealing all those pieces for Kelly, pevs and Kaberle.

If we lost in round one vs Montreal, we might not even recognize this team.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Ironically, the Jackets have only 2pts less than the Rags in arguably a much more difficult Conference, and are right in the mix to try and compete for a playoff spot...guess it wasn`t just scrubs as many suggested here the Jackets received
:nod:
Interesting point, I wonder what the history says about the quality of players available during the offseason vs the trade deadline.

He's 35, he's not dead. He's the same age as Marc Savard and Zdeno Chara. Is Chara an old car with 400000 miles on it? If he weren't on the Bruins would he be someone you'd consider wanting on the Bruins?
lol
Iginla might not be be what he once was, but him on the 3rd line? or on the Powerplay?

Hell him on the 1st line horton on the 3rd line would be interesting as all hell

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
if chara had been declining when he signed, yes.

iginla is being brought up as someone to come in and being the scoring winger he's always been and i don't think he's worth it. it's not like the bruins are going to send a second round pick to get him and you have to wonder whether or not losing the asset that they give up for iginla is worth it.

i don't think it is. i think trading for a guy like iginla, giving up a lot of assets for him and expecting him to perform as he has in the past, in a different conference and a different system, is foolish.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

And he's scoring goals at his lowest per game total since 1998. Maybe a change of scenery gets him back to where you want, or maybe age is finally catching up to him. Either way, with what it will cost to obtain him as a rental, I don't think I'd want PC to take that risk.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
if chara had been declining when he signed, yes.

iginla is being brought up as someone to come in and being the scoring winger he's always been and i don't think he's worth it. it's not like the bruins are going to send a second round pick to get him and you have to wonder whether or not losing the asset that they give up for iginla is worth it.

i don't think it is. i think trading for a guy like iginla, giving up a lot of assets for him and expecting him to perform as he has in the past, in a different conference and a different system, is foolish.

I don't think people are expecting 50g from Iginla.
25-30g? Yep. Who else is out there that is as tough as him, has veteran leadership and plays a bruins style hockey, and is being made available? Not to mention him wanting a cup before he retires?

NiKrejci

May 11, 2009
Clowe is exactly what this team DOESN'T need. We need offense... not a guy who's played 25 games without a goal.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Are you kidding? Players dropping like flies and we will be in 5th place shortly in the conference. WE ARE BEHIND MONTREAL FOR CHRIST'S SAKES! ENOUGH SAID!

how are we going to be in 5th place? and montreal... got to give them credit... theyve played very very very well.

theres 3 elite teams in the east as long as montreal is playing this way... and 2 in the west... maybe 3 if LA gets their act together... we are one of those 6 teams.

even if you think Vancouver and Rangers might be able to get their ships righted and meet expectations its still us as one of 8 teams with a legit odds on favorite ranking to do damage at playoff time.

I dont think panic is called for. I do however think that we have seen how a couple of injuries suddenly put our depth into question and any type of shaky goaltending at all and we will struggle to match up with Pittsburg come playoff time. If the Penguins do pony up and add Iginla than we are in even harder to beat them unless we also take some steps to address our 1 or 2 problem areas.

This isnt a worry about where we will end up in the regular season. i cant see Montreal staying ahead of us once games are evened out... so ink us in as a 1 or 2 seed. Regular season finish means jack squat to us fans though. us fans arent going to be happy without a trip into the final 4 and a strong showing once we get there. Right now I get the feeling wed ba battling a 7 game flip of the coin in round 1 to even advance past there.

When we won our cup... we required 7 games and ot in round 1 to advance... one bad bounce of a puck and we would have been out. Last year one good bounce of the puck and we would have been past Washington. That is how close the playoffs can be. Getting a difference maker like a Jarome Iginla can take away some of the chance which would be so nice. Id try to get him if he was available.

Realistically though I realize that its far more likely we will end up with someone like Brenden Morrow and a guy like Carl Soderberg will be our potential biggest addition... which is ok too.

One think i guess most of us agree to, is our third line needs help one way or the other before playoffs get here... and probably we need a 7th dman that is better than Johnson before the playoffs get here too.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Clowe is exactly what this team DOESN'T need. We need offense... not a guy who's played 25 games without a goal.

clowe does have offensive skills... something must be wrong with him this year? If we were confident that he could get his game back that it is ok to deal for him. That is where scouting would be needed... professional evaluation... insider information. As fans, none of us are really qualified to know whats going on with why Clowe has suddenly stopped scoring.

its like the whitney situation in Edmonton. I heard from his own mouth he didnt ever expect to be 100% healthy again. Then I saw with my own eyes he couldnt handle turns anymore during games on his wonky ankle last year. Then I saw him getting healthy scratched this year on a team that has only 5 NHL dmen.

so I said Whitney seems to be done... but after I said that, something happened. He has actually put together a couple good strong weeks of hockey. Did he get healthy? Or did he gain back his confidnce? Im not sure, but something happened and he is once again a NHL caliber dman...

I still think Edmonton deals him cause of bad blood and a negative attitude and free agency... but it goes to show you that we cant judge a guy 100% on a small sample size when he has an entire career that shows you another side.

Clowe can score when hes right... but i for one dont know if hes right. I agree with you that I wouldnt be one to be rolling the dice on him this year. Other teams need him more than we do and will outbid us.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm

I agree with you.

The cost of getting someone that could make a big difference to the Bruins will probably be enormous. Although you could argue that just getting an average 3rd liner would be a big difference compared to Pandolfo and Bourque.

However, I'd like to see a bit of a roster overhaul this offseason which I guess is inevitable if the cap really is going down to $64.3 million. Maybe they could re-sign Horton and move a couple of the other guys. As much as B's fans have gone back and forth on Horton the team would almost undoubtedly be worse offensively without him and they have no one to replace him.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I really like Jack's last tweet

When leading into 3P last season, Bruins were up ave of 2.23 goals. Ldg into 3P this year, up ave 1.58. Bs not extending leads, need punch.

Its a lot easier to blow leads when the offense is only giving you one goal a game. I'm not going to be too much of a Rask apologist, as that 2nd goal was soft yesterday, but mistakes do happen. I certainly hope it is just a coincidence and not that he has a choking problem

This probably would have been better in the PGT but it addresses the need for more offense haha

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I want to see the Bruins make some moves, but if we are talking rentals only and older guys, then I do not want our top prospects moved. All that being said , what value would guys Like Jordan Caron, Carter Camper, David Warsofsky, Tommy Cross have? Also others such as Matt Bartowski, Bruins have lots of prospects in that range and I would not mind dealing any of them in a package to get some help. I mentioned earlier about dealing Lucic and that would only be if we got back a legit top flight young player, like Evander Kane etc...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I say let the B's trade for Pouliot. Let's get him back for the 3rd line. Small fix, but he had some chemistry with Kelley and Pevs.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
people talking themselves into iginla is like people talking themselves into that great sportscar that has about 400,000 miles on it.

I mean no disrespect but I have to guess you haven't seen the Flames much this year. His stats may not be great but I love the way he is playing. His team is terrible but he still finds ways to make things happen every time he is on the ice. He is a huge upgrade over every forward not playing on the Bergy line that we have. I would take him or Alfie anytime despite their age.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
I mean no disrespect but I have to guess you haven't seen the Flames much this year. His stats may not be great but I love the way he is playing. His team is terrible but he still finds ways to make things happen every time he is on the ice. He is a huge upgrade over every forward not playing on the Bergy line that we have. I would take him or Alfie anytime despite their age.

i don't deny that i don't exactly have the flames on tv every night. between the wbc and trying to keep up on the ducks/hawks/othergoodteams, i've been limited on flames watching.

i won't deny that iginla has looked good when i've seen them. the point of my analogy is that iginla does have a lot of miles on him. he also means a great deal to the flames. to acquire iginla, whoever gets him is going to have to overpay. and i don't think he's worth it. i think whoever gets him is paying based mostly on prior seasons and that he means a great deal to the flames.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Soderberg TANK to the rescue!

iVkjF9pzHii6y.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad