Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VAN] Ilya Mikheyev (15% retained), Sam Lafferty, 2027 2nd round pick for 2027 4th round pick

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You can predict the 2027 standings already? Incredible! The Canucks dropped 2 rounds which is an average of 64 spots. Maybe it's better than that, but also it could be worse. Still a good trade.
An average of 64 spots? Lol, swing and a miss. 64 drafts is literally the maximum distance you can drop. Like if we pick first overall and the Hawks win the Presidents trophy then it would be 64 spots.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Giving up another 2nd round pick sucks but it feels like a move they kinda have to make.

Curious if its a total dump or we get some kind of thing back like the Dickinson trade, guess we'll see soon.

Damn you Yzerman for setting the market! maybe it was all a 4D chess move to get us back for Hronek (haha).

It's a 2027 2nd round. Plenty of time to recover that

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Don't understand at all why it was necessary for the Canucks to tie up one of their retention slots on such a tiny amount when they're dealing with a team that has so much cap space they're giving 4+ million to the likes of Perry, Foligno, and Mrazek

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisLetAngry

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Don't understand at all why it was necessary for the Canucks to tie up one of their retention slots on such a tiny amount when they're dealing with a team with so much cap space they're giving 4+ million to the likes of Perry, Foligno, and Mrazek

It's the bigger picture you're missing. Retention only matters if you intend on moving out more contracts. The Canucks obviously believe they are done with moving out big contracts so retaining here means nothing.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
This pick is so far into the future it doesn't even show up on the Chicago Capfriendly page. Nor will it ever, thanks to the Capitals :(

1719499456678.png

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bit bummed to see 2nd is in 2027 as when I left for work it appeared to be 2nd in 2025 from details

Oh well I see Nucks retained a little so that's good

Happy to have Mikheyev and see if he can turn things around in Chicago. Last Nuck we were given a 2nd to take on turned out great. Hope we see that again

As for Lafferty, hope we get him in on a 2 year deal as I liked him with Hawks last go round

Reactions: bh53

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Bit bummed to see 2nd is in 2027 as when I left for work it appeared to be 2nd in 2025 from details

Oh well I see Nucks retained a little so that's good

Happy to have Mikheyev and see if he can turn things around in Chicago. Last Nuck we were given a 2nd to take on turned out great. Hope we see that again

As for Lafferty, hope we get him in on a 2 year deal as I liked him with Hawks last go round
I'd rather it be in 2027. Gives the Nucks more time to have the wheels fall off.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Don't understand at all why it was necessary for the Canucks to tie up one of their retention slots on such a tiny amount when they're dealing with a team that has so much cap space they're giving 4+ million to the likes of Perry, Foligno, and Mrazek

i think the hawks took the position $4m is what he is worth if he bounces back and the rest of the trade is to take on the risk he does not. so the canucks would have had to pay for the $1.5m in dead cap in addition to the trade price they paid.

that is probably fair. part of the mikheyev problem is the canucks were a house on fire when they signed him and had to overpay accordingly.

it does seems like a lot of hard bargaining went on. when you factor in minor retention, rights to a 4th liner ufa and the present day value of a draft pick swap 3 years away it is a pretty hard trade to evaluate, especially given the player is not a flat out boat anchor. lots of room for arbitrage. bottom line is it was less than our 2025 second rounder which is what i figured the minimum price would be.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Thought you'd be an Oilers guy. Think a buncha them added Mc to their usernames when they got McDavid and I figured you were that. Sorry. :laugh:
Nah. I hate the Oilers every bit as much as you Vancouver fans. Entitled and dirty team with goons like Kane, Perry, Nurse and Foegele and the diving by Drai is just too much. I can’t stand the oilers. It was amazing seeing them crushed Monday night. Reading their fan comments in pure agony. Not going to lie… I loved it.

I enjoy watching Hughes. He’s really good. So is EP when he’s engaged. Miller is bread n butter old school player. Great goalie.. good third line… lots here for a hockey fan to appreciate. Plus the outside the stadium shots of the city, ocean and mountains… definitely one of the prettiest environments to host an NHL team. Probably #1 for that.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Nah. I hate the Oilers every bit as much as you Vancouver fans. Entitled and dirty team with goons like Kane, Perry, Nurse and Foegele and the diving by Drai is just too much. I can’t stand the oilers. It was amazing seeing them crushed Monday night. Reading their fan comments in pure agony. Not going to lie… I loved it.

I enjoy watching Hughes. He’s really good. So is EP when he’s engaged. Miller is bread n butter old school player. Great goalie.. good third line… lots here for a hockey fan to appreciate.
I'm pretty sure Florida was Canada's Team™️ among people who watch hockey enough to post on a message board about it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Craziest part about Mikheyev is he produced more while playing on the injured ACL vs when he presumably would've been more healthy

23 goals & 48 points in his first 79 games as a Canuck, then a black hole ever since. Could see him scoring 20 next year & this being a great add for the Hawks.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah I would have easily been fine with a pick swap from 2nd to 5th or even lower if no retention... maybe it was a dealbreaker for the Hawks, although I don't see why.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I’m a Hawks fan

Here’s a few things I think will happen

By the 2027 draft the NHL will have expanded by two more teams, so a 34 team draft

Also theirs talk of going to a 4 round draft

Either way Vancouver traded a VERY VALUABLE 2nd

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
People Like: Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin are shrewd Hockey Execs for paying to get rid of that contract Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin signed.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
People Like: Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin are shrewd Hockey Execs for paying to get rid of that contract Jim Rutherford and Patrik Allvin signed.
You say this as if it isn't a major virtue for execs to be able to move on from their own projects. This is a great move, a potentially franchise altering move depending on what else gets done here. They have done nothing but excellent things so far this offseason.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad