Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
His skating is god-awful. I wanted us to take him in the 6th or 7th but that's definitely a case where there's more to it than stats. (Still, much better gamble than the ones we took.)
I think he still gets around okay, not much difference between him and Wallmark, for example in that regard. But technique wise, it sure isn't pretty, almost like Phoebe Buffay running on ice (Yes, i have begun a Friends Marathon on Netflix :laugh:). I think he would greatly benefit from re-learning his stride and the way he uses his edges to generate power. Would have made a great late round project (as we both wanted).

Jun 15, 2014
Virtanen is hot right now, McCann is hot right now, Demko is hot right now, Tryamkin is playing decently in the second best league in the world.

Meh no impressed. :help:

Well, I will reserve judgement until we get a look at these guys at the AHL/NHL level.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think the key issue is that people have a lot less confidence in Benning deciding someone is expendable than they do the Blackhawks.

Benning's track record in terms of whom he deemed "expendable" as of late(Seguin, Garrison, Santorelli) hasn't exactly been encouraging.

Lol... so basically "this move is bad because Benning made it"

Gonna be a long tenure with Benning as gm for those fans if that is their immediate conclusion...

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Virtanen is hot right now, McCann is hot right now, Demko is hot right now, Tryamkin is playing decently in the second best league in the world.

Meh no impressed. :help:

I'm talking about in Boston. It's silly to look at just this past year's draft to say he's a good drafter.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm talking about in Boston. It's silly to look at just this past year's draft to say he's a good drafter.

How much input does the AGM typically have on draft selections? Did he have the authority to veto Chiarelli or was he merely one of many voices involved in the process?

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
from all that i recall reading about benning, while he worked with sabers the team found some great gems in the middle of the rounds. however sabers first round selections were pretty poor, while he was director of amateur scouting.

4-25-14-benning-r1.png

i honestly felt tim burke of sanjose had a better resume when it came to scouting at least. but its the age old hire the guy who has won adage.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The Kings guy, Fata, sounded like he was pretty highly regarded too but they promoted him the second they got word of interest. I just want a good GM who makes good trades and doesn't bleed value. The scouting will ultimately rely on the scouting staff but trading and contracts is all GM.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
What about his time in Buffalo?

When you have to go back a decade to find decent results...

Then why all the angst over trading Forsling ... a player he drafted?

Hilarious.

How much input does the AGM typically have on draft selections? Did he have the authority to veto Chiarelli or was he merely one of many voices involved in the process?

Given his scouting background I would assume a lot, because if the Bruins felt his input wasn't good enough and they still had some pretty lousy drafting, then that means either Benning was awful or Chiarelli was for not listening to him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hilarious.

Didn't mean it to be. You mean you really can't see the contradiction in auto-slagging Benning for trading a player he drafted by using the reasoning that he is a poor evaluator of young talent?

Actually you are right ... it is hilarious.

Given his scouting background I would assume a lot, because if the Bruins felt his input wasn't good enough and they still had some pretty lousy drafting, then that means either Benning was awful or Chiarelli was for not listening to him.

And both of those are possible, so why ignore one of the two in arriving at your assumption that Benning is a poor evaluator of talent? I mean besides the fairly obvious reason of course ...

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Didn't mean it to be. You mean you really can't see the contradiction in auto-slagging Benning for trading a player he drafted by using the reasoning that he is a poor evaluator of young talent?

you might think it a bit ironic but it doesn't undermine or counter his argument in any way

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I don't understand what the criticism is for Bennings bad drafting.

Literally everyone of his draft picks is trending up aside for Petit who I don't even know but who cares its a 6th rounder

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I don't understand what the criticism is for Bennings bad drafting.

Literally everyone of his draft picks is trending up aside for Petit who I don't even know but who cares its a 6th rounder

well, and stewart and tryamkin

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
you might think it a bit ironic but it doesn't undermine or counter his argument in any way

That is a matter of opinion... I think it does... unless Benning did judge well with Forsling... then there is no reason to say he couldn't have judged well here

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

I've seen Forsling play, I'm not basing my evaluation of him on Benning's. Not to mention the Forsling pick was most likely based on Gradin's evaluation, not Benning's.

Just because Benning drafted him doesn't mean I can't not want to trade the player. If we traded Virtanen for Clendenning do you also think I'd have no right to be annoyed?

And both of those are possible, so why ignore one of the two in arriving at your assumption that Benning is a poor evaluator of talent? I mean besides the fairly obvious reason of course ...

You mean his body of work since coming to Vancouver? Yeah, when I think that around 90% of his moves have been somewhere between meh and awful, it makes a lot more sense to assume Benning is being taken yet again rather than thinking that this time he's the one who pulled one over Bowman.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
well, and stewart and tryamkin

Stewart Petit are 6-7 thrash picks w/e he didn't find a diamond in the rough there. Tryamkin is actually trending up and developing quite nicely he doesn't need to put up big points he is a stay at home defenseman. I expect his point totals to go up once he gets to North American ice where his size becomes a real advantage for him.

It's not uncommon for a young KHL defenseman to put up little points in the KHL

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
That is a matter of opinion... I think it does... unless Benning did judge well with Forsling... then there is no reason to say he couldn't have judged well here

its not a matter of opinion at all. the following is an opinion: "i trust benning's drafting". thats fine. what im saying is his points are not inherently contradicted by his opinion on drafting. i can hold that

A: i dont think benning is a good enough judge of young talent and
B: i think forsling too high a price to pay

without any problems

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Stewart Petit are 6-7 thrash picks w/e he didn't find a diamond in the rough there. Tryamkin is actually trending up and developing quite nicely he doesn't need to put up big points he is a stay at home defenseman. I expect his point totals to go up once he gets to North American ice where his size becomes a real advantage for him.

It's not uncommon for a young KHL defenseman to put up little points in the KHL

Is he? There's little to no info coming from the KHL regarding his play. Didn't he get sent down to the junior leagues earlier this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad