Cheer an all-time great! (Here post, link, pontificate, on anybody, anywhere, anytime)

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Loved Serge Savard, my childhood fav dman!
(A top-100 all-time hockey history player in every ATD, thankfully. If he ever drops to 110ish, i'd snap him up as a value pick!)

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Underrated vs. overrated vs. properly rated is a discussion EVERY year with picks in the all-time draft (ATD sub-board here).

ATD GMs are hockey history enthusiasts who overrate and underrate players at times (one year Sundin went in the top-60 and it took only two yearly drafts for him to fall waaay down to 200ish territory).
I think you are overrating the ATD.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Savard is always marginal top 100 in ATDs, Francis marginal top 150, so a vote-process showing them about 120th in some consensus you think shows somehow that both are overrated (your initial claim on this thread), or the irony is you thinking it shows that whereas it shows they aren't overrated after all.

Note: in building an all-time great team dmen get a draft boost because of demand and supply; likewise Francis as a center has a ton of competition. So, Savard 120 rising 20 or 30 spots, Francis dropping 20 or 30 spots, pretty much puts the HOH project and ATDs on equal footing assessmentwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Savard is always marginal top 100 in ATDs, Francis marginal top 150, so a vote-process showing them about 120th in some consensus you think shows somehow that both are overrated (your initial claim on this thread), or the irony is you thinking it shows that whereas it shows they aren't overrated after all.

Note: in building an all-time great team dmen get a draft boost because of demand and supply; likewise Francis as a center has a ton of competition. So, Savard 120 rising 20 or 30 spots, Francis dropping 20 or 30 spots, pretty much puts the HOH project and ATDs on equal footing assessmentwise.
Francis was the first center I ever took in an ATD. One of the few things I think I did well that year was putting together my first line. I had Lindsay-Francis-Richard. He as a good fit for the two wingers I already had with playmaking, defense, and a bit of a leadership reputation to keep them from killing each other.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Awesome Irbe vid thanks!

He is partly Hasek-like.

Few are comparable (to any degree) to Dom, but Arturs is one of them.

This guy had a career in Czechoslovakia before a long NHL career, retiring with the NHL's best career save percentage (.922 on 20,000+ shots) despite doing everything wrong, Tretiak refusing to coach him in Chicago, instead focusing on Belfour, because Hasek didn't do anything he was expected to do (other than stop the puck). Edit: to be fair to Tretiak, he taught good technique but Hasek didn't follow the rules.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
My first favourite player, from when he was one of the few Canucks who could both score and give some push back during the Wild West 1970's.
Broke my heart when he was traded to the Bruins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad