Cheer an all-time great! (Here post, link, pontificate, on anybody, anywhere, anytime)

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have four guys on my mind this week, given discussions, but wanna cheer a better guy without derailing things.

So why not a thread of pure love.

This is a place to NOT make hot takes, please. Post personal impressions certainly, highlights, achievements.

Let's appreciate.

I came across this and have to share:

Reactions: DitchMarner

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I got my four out...

You?

Let's celebrate the game we love in the least active hockey month of the year: August!

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes

Trottier was a really good goal-scorer; that kind of gets lost among all his other great attributes - hockey sense, passing, puck carrying, hitting, defense. And, of course, in comparison to his linemate's goal-scoring.

Trottier was my favourite Islander during the early '80s.

Nobody was ever compared to Gordie Howe as much as Trottier was. They did have a lot in common.

Reactions: DitchMarner

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Trottier was a really good goal-scorer; that kind of gets lost among all his other great attributes - hockey sense, passing, puck carrying, hitting, defense. And, of course, in comparison to his linemate's goal-scoring.

Trottier was my favourite Islander during the early '80s.

Nobody was ever compared to Gordie Howe as much as Trottier was. They did have a lot in common.

Growing up in the 90s, I heard a lot about him, Clarke, Phil Esposito.

Now they don't seem to be talked about nearly as much.

Now it's guys like Forsberg and Crosby that are really celebrated and reminisced about.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
How about the greatest hockey photo? I know that the image of Noel Picard launching Bobby Orr in to space is considered to be the greatest photo. It certainly is the best known hockey photo. To me it is certainly not the greatest - in terms of celebrating hockey at its best. What we're seeing is a perfect example of terrible sportsmanship - on the part of Picard. That photo brings to mind Dale Hunter's hit on Pierre Turgeon.

Below we see a perfect example of proper sportsmanship. Bobby Hull is shaking hands with and congratulating Jean Beliveau. Number 4 - having scored a goal and added an assist in his Habs' 4-0 victory over the Hawks - has led his team to the Stanley Cup Championship. In a seven-game series where the home-ice team won all seven games, the Canadiens eliminated Chicago. Beliveau had 5 goals and 5 assists in those 7 games, after having 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games in the first-round series against the Leafs - earning himself the Conn Smythe (awarded for the first time in 1964-65).

Had Game Seven of the Final gone the other way - with the Hawks hoisting the Cup - that Conn Smythe Trophy would have gone to Hull. He picked up 8 goals and 5 assists in eliminating the Wings in seven games in the first round. He had 4 points going in to that last game of the Final, and had he contributed a couple of points to a victory in that game, Bobby's name would have been the first one associated with that trophy. Love the look of admiration on his face as he shakes Jean's hand, who certainly seems to have appreciated Hull's sportsmanship.

Attachments

• 17411_17411_264_Bobby_Hull_shakes_hands_with_Jean_Beliveau_after_the.jpg
    17411_17411_264_Bobby_Hull_shakes_hands_with_Jean_Beliveau_after_the.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Indeed!

The least heralded Larionov had a HOF career as the #1 pivot of the Soviet team but... his NHL exploits are often overlooked/underappreciated. Bowman said he was key to special teams.

Here is more than 10 minutes of NHL playoff plays by "the Professor":

(These are just his NHL playoff goals. His assists have always been more prolific. He is Oates-level genius with his puck placement. But youtube highlight vids of collected great assists are few and far between.)

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Here is a minority report.

Assists rule:

(NIX the 'all-time' moniker: gems by Yzerman, Datsyuk, Sedin, Crosby, others - a couple of token Orr... no '80s other than Gretzky... pretty much, mostly: some great passes since the early 1990's,... k... it is what it is... and it is pretty good!)

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I am at a cook out and drinking, but I feel like the Canadiens greatness overrated some folks and obscured others...like Serge Savard and Dickie Moore and Lemaire got lost in the shuffle because bigger names like Lafleur and Richard and Geoffrion were around...but they aren't as great as legend. Some of the below (ish) the line people got lost and worse, they get dismissed as being dynasty also-rans...

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am at a cook out and drinking, but I feel like the Canadiens greatness overrated some folks and obscured others...like Serge Savard...
1. Posting while drinking is so easy given smartphones (an invention in my thirties);
2. Serge Savard was my 2nd fav hero as a young hockey fan, Dryden being #1, Robinson #3,... became a Caps fan as well after young Langway inexplicably went there (i never understood why, why!);
3. Wait... do you think Savard overrated or obscured?... 'cuz in the ATD community - and the HF History board, he is well respected. Underrated Habs hereabouts include Kirk Muller, Benoit Brunet,... surprisingly kicked-out-of-consciousness Koivu, the never appreciated really Dickie Moore (except as a name on a list) and Aurel Joliat, who was more important to Habs success than Morenz-media frenzy allowed. I went to three Habs games at the forum and fans appeciated Brunet, a hard-working defensive defenseman who often broke up plays; he became a less-hyped Adam Foote.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Brunet was an extremely effective backchecker, basically a 3rd dman, and pretty good as a forechecker.

He always made the quick pass when he recovered pucks. I can't recall him ever carrying the puck.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Loved The French Connection, Richard Martin in his rookie year broke the goal record at 44. With a shortened career due to a knee injury that would lead to the end of his career.
37, 52, 52, 49, 36, 28, 32, 45 only 8 years of action not included LA was negligible. Had one of the most hardest shots could skates and was a gifted player considering that Buffalo was not that good. They did make to the finals one year.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Love the look of admiration on his face as he shakes Jean's hand, who certainly seems to have appreciated Hull's sportsmanship.
That is such a great hockey photo. Never seen it before, thanks.

I will never understand why those c.1960s'-era photos always look so good compared to later ones, including today's.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
That is such a great hockey photo. Never seen it before, thanks.

I will never understand why those c.1960s'-era photos always look so good compared to later ones, including today's.
Huh?

The flash is so bright, their skin shiny, the background dark, barely lit.

It looks like they just ate hot peppers and are glistening it out.

It is a low-quality photograph.

Though, the act of shaking hands - outside a playoff series loss - is worth heralding.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I am at a cook out and drinking, but I feel like the Canadiens greatness overrated some folks and obscured others...like Serge Savard and Dickie Moore and Lemaire got lost in the shuffle because bigger names like Lafleur and Richard and Geoffrion were around...but they aren't as great as legend. Some of the below (ish) the line people got lost and worse, they get dismissed as being dynasty also-rans...

Serge Savard seems similar to Ron Francis in that he's been called underrated so much that he feels overrated.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Serge Savard seems similar to Ron Francis in that he's been called underrated so much that he feels overrated.
1. Savard was a top-80 pick in this year's all-time draft (including several non-NHLers who went before him: Taylor, Lalonde, Tretiak... Fetisov and Makarov based on their international careers...)
2. Francis is always in the 150-ish best hockey player range.
3. Neither Savard nor Francis have i drafted in two decades of ATD drafting (and Savard is a childhood hero) because they don't fall to value positions imo; in other words, they go where they should, if not a bit higher. Wait, maybe i drafted Francis once back in '07 or '08, but maybe it was just a wish, as he certainly has been on shortlists in several drafts, just not usually near the top.
4. Underrated i think for sure are those i feel compelled to draft (and have multiple times) because other knowledgeable history buffs bypass them for one reason or another: Glenn Hall, Brian Propp, Harvey Pulford, center Dick Irvin, coach Art Ross, Gennadiy Tsygankov, Ryan Kesler, Blake Wheeler.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
1. Savard was a top-80 pick in this year's all-time draft (including several non-NHLers who went before him: Taylor, Lalonde, Tretiak... Fetisov and Makarov based on their international careers...)
2. Francis is always in the 150-ish best hockey player range.
3. Neither Savard nor Francis have i drafted in two decades of ATD drafting (and Savard is a childhood hero) because they don't fall to value positions imo; in other words, they go where they should, if not a bit higher. Wait, maybe i drafted Francis once back in '07 or '08, but maybe it was just a wish, as he certainly has been on shortlists in several drafts, just not usually near the top.

The Savard/Francis comparison was about how underrated the players were, not a comparison of their hockey abilities or where they rank all-time.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Savard/Francis comparison was about how underrated the players were, not a comparison of their hockey abilities or where they rank all-time.
Underrated vs. overrated vs. properly rated is a discussion EVERY year with picks in the all-time draft (ATD sub-board here).

ATD GMs are hockey history enthusiasts who overrate and underrate players at times (one year Sundin went in the top-60 and it took only two yearly drafts for him to fall waaay down to 200ish territory - everything comes out of the wash).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad