Confirmed with Link: Chatty back 3x3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
i dont like it or hate it.

its an expensive 3RD signing. Got to get an shutdown righty still. We cant carry burns, chatty and morrow.
giphy (2).gif

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I also like that we announced it on a Finals gameday, because f*** that unofficial rule.
this past playoffs made it more than opinion. The defense really let the team down.
If you think a small sample size like that means it's a fact, whatevs. I prefer to take what I've seen and know about the player and try to project his ability to grow into that role. I certainly might be wrong, but I think he has a good chance to handle it. Perhaps we'll see if they put him in that role. You also seem to be leaning negative on pretty much any possible move that could be made, so it's tough to take seriously.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Happy to have him back, that's a fair deal. Right at the upper limit of what I think is reasonable for both salary and term.

We probably end up rolling with him and Orlov as the 2nd pair this year, but in an ideal world that AAV should allow you to slot him more appropriately as a #5 for the rest of the deal. With the rising cap and potentially both Nikishin and Morrow on ELCs, that's a number we can live with and still bolster the top-4 next summer when Orlov/Burns expire.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm not as dismissive of Chatfield's ability to play second-pair as Hockey Hipster, but I will agree that there were some struggles with high-danger chances this postseason because of the Pesce injury. A three year deal at a cap hit right in between the 2nd and 3rd pair average is the perfect sort of trial balloon for him. If it works out, it's incredible value for a second-pair, but if it doesn't, it's a relatively seamless slot back into premium-3rd pair duty.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm not as dismissive of Chatfield's ability to play second-pair as Hockey Hipster, but I will agree that there were some struggles with high-danger chances this postseason because of the Pesce injury. A three year deal at a cap hit right in between the 2nd and 3rd pair average is the perfect sort of trial balloon for him. If it works out, it's incredible value for a second-pair, but if it doesn't, it's a relatively seamless slot back into premium-3rd pair duty.
i am dismissive on him playing the 2nd role as a primary shutdown guy or asking Burns to be that guy. If we had a true 1RD that could shutdown guys and play 25 minutes a night, It wouldnt be a huge deal. We dont have that and he hasnt been able to handle the cycle in your own zone play like Pesce. He is top notched at catch up and defend on the rush. That isnt most of the game, especially in the playoffs.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
That fully closes the door on Pesce anyways. A right side of burns Pesce chatfield isn’t gonna give you much offence. Whoever they bring in on the right side now to fill the last spot will be or should be someone who can put up a decent amount of points. I think they start Morrow in Chicago.

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-x or chatfield
X- and chatfield or someone

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
i am dismissive on him playing the 2nd role as a primary shutdown guy or asking Burns to be that guy. If we had a true 1RD that could shutdown guys and play 25 minutes a night, It wouldnt be a huge deal. We dont have that and he hasnt been able to handle the cycle in your own zone play like Pesce. He is top notched at catch up and defend on the rush. That isnt most of the game, especially in the playoffs.

The solution might be to run a deep left-side again. We likely won't want to stick a massive Skjei extension in, but an OGWAC signing like Brodie (if he can rebound some and is not completely cooked) or Dillon, both of whom have a history of playing stalwart defensive hockey but simultaneously probably need minute restrictions to be their most effective, might be a good idea.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I doubt the opening night ride side will be Burns, Chatfield, Morrow. They will either find a defensive RD to be 2nd or 3rd pairing or make a splash in the Necas deal (although Hronek is a no if they won't meet his long-term salary demands.)

I don't think it's Morrow; I am confident it's not TDA.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Dumba is a possibility as a buy-low if he's not completely cooked at this point.

That might be a possibility if the Canes want Morrow to start his career in the AHL and play his way onto the team. I'd probably want a more offensive lefty as the #6 if that is the case, though, someone like Brannstrom or Gustafsson, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad