Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Stramel strikes me as the kind of player that is in-between realizing what he’ll need “to be” in order to be a regular NHL’er. I would like to see him focusing on 2-3 things and becoming good/great at them. Winning board battles, defensive IQ, and face off expert… he can do it! Don’t let being the “#1 center” make you something you’re not. As much as that can be taken sarcastically… I mean it.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Stramel strikes me as the kind of player that is in-between realizing what he’ll need “to be” in order to be a regular NHL’er. I would like to see him focusing on 2-3 things and becoming good/great at them. Winning board battles, defensive IQ, and face off expert… he can do it! Don’t let being the “#1 center” make you something you’re not. As much as that can be taken sarcastically… I mean it.
He was much better in the faceoff department in game 2. 3/15 (20%) on Friday. 15/27 (55.6%) on Saturday.

• Love
Reactions: Arturia Pendragon

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Agreed. My expectations is low so as long as he can develop into a Mark Jankowski/Radek Faksa/Brian Boyle type, centering a disruptive fouth line.

So the thing I'm looking out for this season is how defensively reliable and disruptive on the forecehck he can be while letting Howard be the offensive driver. Because we have JEE/Rossi/Yurov/Heidt/Haight as our offensive future, let Stramel be the key PKer and energy line. Would I prefer we spend our 1st pick on something else? Yes. But it is what it is, unfortunately.

And be the #1 center on a top NCAA team would be nice. They are 2-0 right now vs lower teams. But keep it going and it'll be a good step forward.

Lorenz/Stramel/Bankier or switch in Kumpulainen. That is a nice 4th shutdown line for a playoff conteding team.

Reactions: Arturia Pendragon

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
And the crazy thing was that there were other, much better choices available, who also had size and played C.

Stramel really scored really well in Combine tests, also.
Had to go back and refresh my memory on those. He did do really well at a few things: 2023 NHL Combine results: Top 10 prospects in every drill

Definitely a big strong kid.

However, a test like "pro agility" saw, for instance, Bradly Nadeau do well. (He subsequently had 46 points in 37 games as a college freshman and turned pro.)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Had to go back and refresh my memory on those. He did do really well at a few things: 2023 NHL Combine results: Top 10 prospects in every drill

Definitely a big strong kid.

However, a test like "pro agility" saw, for instance, Bradly Nadeau do well. (He subsequently had 46 points in 37 games as a college freshman and turned pro.)

Has anyone done a meaningful analysis about how any of these results actually translate to NHL success? My hunch is that there's a very weak correlation between standing long jump, for example, and NHL success. Some of these just seem like very weird things to even measure, let alone make a decision off of.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Has anyone done a meaningful analysis about how any of these results actually translate to NHL success? My hunch is that there's a very weak correlation between standing long jump, for example, and NHL success. Some of these just seem like very weird things to even measure, let alone make a decision off of.

Interesting quote: “It has also been suggested that because scouts already have a good idea of how players are ranked on the basis of game play, if deciding between two equally ranked players, scouts may actually choose a player who scores lower on a given test. In theory, if a player has significant room to improve on a particular physical attribute compared with an equally ranked rival, he can be coached to work on his weakness, thus raising it to a level equal to or better than, the other player."

Reactions: AKL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad